Forums Latest Members

Expensive mistake on first vintage watch? 2505-9 Cal. 265 for $760.75

1. pawnshady Oct 11, 2014

I wanted a snazzy vintage Omega, and I got one that looks purdy but I'm feeling like I should have walked out and slept on it. How much was I ripped off paying $760.75 for this watch? My post-purchase research shows that it's a CK 2505-9 Cal. 265 with a redial that at first looked cool but now seems way too pretty for a watch from 1949.

Pics:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Now that I know I'm too impatient for this game, what do I do? Try to return it? Sell it? Enjoy the look and forget that it certifies me as a mark?

Thanks!

2. Rallis Oct 12, 2014

Is the crown signed? What sort of Diameter are we looking at, 30mm? I'm quite sure you overpaid, but by how much, is the question. If you can't return it, I'd try and on-sell it. As your knowledge of vintage Omega evolves, you'll grow to resent it, until you ultimately, most probably, kill yourself.

3. Rallis Oct 12, 2014

Also I'm going to take a guess and say given the disproportionate nature of those hands to the dial, they're also not period/model correct.

4. pawnshady Oct 12, 2014

Jumbo, 38mm. Nope, blank crown. Do watch stores ever take pity? ::prepares rusty blade::

5. Rallis Oct 12, 2014

You're only hope is seeing if they'll give you what you paid for it against another piece of their inventory? A piece you'll cross check on here with public opinion before purchasing of course.

6. binkyboobosh Oct 14, 2014

A bit pricey, but don't worry, in a few years it will look like the cheapest deal ever. These old watches are hiking up in price. Enjoy it...it's a lovely watch. I sometimes think there are unreasonable expectations as to what is available on the vintage market. People who wait for their 'grail' watches in perfect condition usually end up with nothing. Serious collectors demand perfect dials, whilst Joe Public prefer watches that look nice, that they can use, without filthy, peeling dials.

silviogo likes this.
  7. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

I'd try to at least exchange it for something more "original". That dial doesn't even have a semblance to what it should look like, and it would bother me...

8. pawnshady Feb 21, 2015

Had to fight the guy but eventually got my money back. Phew. Got lucky there I guess. Lesson learned!

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 21, 2015

This is what we call noob tax the extra that is sometimes paid by people new to the vintage game.

Well done to get your funds back and you will be able to put it to something with a nice original dial that has the character a watch that old should have..

pawnshady and boat2dan like this.
  10. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 21, 2015

Would it be nuts to attempt to make lemonade out of lemons with an acquisition like that and have the dial refinished to more closely resemble an original style, correct for whatever model Omega that is? Of course the refinish would heap even more money into the watch.

What could that dial have looked like before the redo? Anyone have an original example of a similar watch?

11. mappleluna Feb 22, 2015

I just love those references. I find the case is a pure wonder, lugs naturally curved, perfect size and inexpensive!

IMG_20141024_132230.jpg

lando, fatbaldboy, pawnshady and 3 others like this.
  12. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 22, 2015

I agree that the case configuration is a real standout. If a redial was cheap enough it'd be fun to put it back to a more correct appearance. It'd be real fun to find a nice original!

13. pawnshady Feb 23, 2015

I hear what y'all are saying but I'd say that such a transaction is more of an advanced maneuver. If I understand the way it works then I'd need both a "new" (old) dial and a contemporary movement to match. For this oversized-for-the-time reference my guess is that I would be waiting a while and spending a lot more. Am I right?

So again, I hear ya, but not something I'm up for at this point. This noob tax on such an expensive hobby is serious stuff!

EDIT: Crown was also not original I believe (or at least unsigned).

14. mappleluna Feb 23, 2015

Waiting a while --> yes a bit, but those references are pretty "common"

spending a lot more --> no, they're quite affordable watches for the feelings they procure (in my opinion)

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Feb 23, 2015

Not a 2505 but a 37.5mm manual wind in an 18k swiss rose gold case:

[​IMG]

16. pawnshady Feb 23, 2015

Huh. This vintage game is intricate. The more you know!

17. mappleluna Feb 23, 2015

pawnshady likes this.
  18. pawnshady Feb 23, 2015

19. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 23, 2015

I'm wanting one of these with this case design after seeing this thread.

20. mappleluna Feb 23, 2015

Yep. If I had seen it one hour ago I would have bought it for sure. The auctions just finished half an hour ago.