Forums Latest Members
  1. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jul 7, 2015

Have I made an expensive mistake?
    This popped up on my eBay homepage at lunchtime and after doing the few SM300 checks that I know I hit BIN and made immediate payment.

Can't believe that I didn't spot the '300' being printed below 'Seamaster' on the dial :mad:
    Am I correct in assuming this is a redial (or worse).
    SM300.JPG

Realised the dial pictures were blurry or out of focus but was concentrating more on the 'open' 6 and 9.
    The more I look at it now I'm not sure I like any of the printing, but I put it down to a scratched crystal earlier.

What looked like a 1506 bracelet (admittedly needing work) with two No. 16 end-links tipped me over the edge to buy.
    Looks like it is only the top of the 1506 clasp and the folding parts behind have come from somewhere non-Omega.
    1506.JPG

Today's listing
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seamaster-300m-Ref-165-024-/271923286981?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&si=F31pagOdItnDv8xduWS4Z56MkQk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=ncPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Earlier (withdrawn) listing - with some different photos
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seamaster-300m-Ref-165-024-/271921442853?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f4fc7f025&nma=true&si=F31pagOdItnDv8xduWS4Z56MkQk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

May 2015 listing from another seller. Feedbacks look to match up.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Omega-Seamaster-300-Vintage-Automatic-/171781546092?nma=true&si=F31pagOdItnDv8xduWS4Z56MkQk%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    Some of the photos and most of the listing text have been reused.

What are your opinions?

I was hoping it would clean up to be a wearable (not spectacular) vintage example to replace my current SM300 which has modern replacement dial and hands.

2. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Jul 7, 2015

BINs are dangerous. ;)

Sitting in front of my phone I think that the crown is not correct the dial as well. Not knowing the value of the endlinks and parts of the bracelet it is really heavily worn out. Seconds hand is lacking paint and its lume looks rusty.

I think the dial has to be removed. Sell the valuable parts of the bracelet and get some nice straps, the bezel is not bad though not aged the same way, new hands might be usefull. Gettig an new non-date-dial might be difficult.

Just my thoughts

3. kox Jul 7, 2015

+1 ...

Should look like mine below (on the right). Also a 165.024 without subreference year, but with 1039/516 bracelet/endlinks and somewhat earlier serial 2471x - all original.

The bezel is the best part on it. The rest, forget it... sorry

20150301_165205.jpg

4. the future Jul 7, 2015

The good news is that the parts are probably worth pretty much what you paid for it. The bad news is that the dial is fake, or a bad redial. As I see it your options are 1) put in a replacement luminova dial and sell it, and you might make a small profit. 2) sit on it, and wait for a vintage dial with the right lume colour to come up for sale. This may happen, but it could take several years. 3) sell the parts. 4) try to cancel the sale?

5. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jul 7, 2015

They certainly get the heart pumping :eek:

Thanks for the replies chaps.
    I've sent a message to the seller to see if we can cancel. eBay say that you only have one hour after paying or winning to cancel so it's down to the seller to decide. May even be too late as its gone 11am in the USA so possibly already posted.:(

I was already waiting for a vintage dial for one I already have with the luminova dial :oops: Was hoping to keep this one and sell on my old one.

Time to write "Condition, condition, condition. Patience, patience, patience" on my keyboard. ::shy::

watchme likes this.
  6. TexOmega Jul 7, 2015

Novel approach to selling, a ping to a buddy and a pong at a higher price. I bet it never left Georgia.

Of course this is just my humble opinion.

Pretty specific on no refunds. Hope he makes an exception for you.

lenny likes this.
  7. calalum Jul 7, 2015

Methinks that you should not get your hopes up. Smells like a scam. The description is way off base, even though the pictures themselves should have given you pause. Also the feedback seems off base. Good luck trying to unwind the deal.

8. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jul 7, 2015

With more than a little bit of luck (long queue at the post office that the seller decided to turn away from) and an understanding seller I seem to have been able to cancel this one.
    I'm very relieved.
    Just need eBay and PayPal to play their part now; and we all have faith in them ;)

persco likes this.
  9. calalum Jul 7, 2015

Does the seller know that he is selling bad goods?

10. Emeister Donut-eatin desk-divin wannabe-astronaut fat dude Jul 7, 2015

I've offered to give him some advice on re-listing it.
    I was expecting to replace the crown and get the hands relumed but thought there were 'good bones' behind the rest.

Is there anything else 'dodgy' other than the dial?
    Would it be accurate to list it as a re-dial or is it something worse than that?

eBay have just confirmed the cancellation.
    Expecting a bit of fun with PayPal.