Forums Latest Members

Expectations - what is wrong with me??

1. axl911 Aug 1, 2016

My 69ST Speedmaster runs +/- 15secs a day (I know it needs a service), and I am thinking "cool, it keeps pretty good time".

My Sinn runs +3.3 secs a day, and I am thinking "meh, it could do better".

Anyone else have this favoring toward the Speedmaster?

2. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 1, 2016

My 2010 3570.50 runs at +15s which I think it is bloody terrible! Luckily it is with STS at the moment so will hopefully come back rather better.

3. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Aug 1, 2016

My expectations aren't very high at all. Though I have watches which will do much better, I can live with a minute-per-day and am happy with anything under 30 seconds-per-day.

I do notice that I tend to take along the more accurate ones when I anticipate wearing the same watch for several days such as when I travel.

Foo2rama and marturx like this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 1, 2016

My personal way is the use the Watchville app. I wear a watch for a week to see if it is staying current ..if it is .. No worries. If I'm constantly resetting it's off to the spa.

5. abrod520 Aug 1, 2016

How old is the Sinn? If I buy a new watch, that I have to reset the time on more than once every two or three weeks (assuming it's wound every day), I'm gonna be dissapointed. Older watches get more leeway, unless and until it's service time.

6. axl911 Aug 1, 2016

The Sinn is about 1 year old. 3.3 secs is well within spec, but I guess I have too much expectation from it.

7. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 1, 2016

Ok you are nuts. Within 3s per day is pretty much as good as it gets and if that doesn't satisfy you then you may need to go quartz, or maybe as a half way house a Omega f300hz hummer as these can easily do within 1s per day.

axl911, ahartfie and Foo2rama like this.
  8. Superdoc Aug 1, 2016

I once wore a watch for the entire day before I realized that I hadn't set the date or wound the movement...
    I was still satisfied by its performance

PEIslander, Davidt, Mothra and 5 others like this.
  9. al128 unsolicited co-moderation giverer Aug 1, 2016

+ could potentially save tons on servicing...:D

RegF likes this.
  10. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2016

I can cure you.

Buy watches with no seconds hand.

11. Steve88M3 Aug 1, 2016

If I wanted a dead reliable read-out of the time I'd wear my F91W.

12. mdgrwl Aug 1, 2016

well... its not a very accurate movement... its not COSC. I usually wear a watch for max 12-16 hours a day... so as long as its accurate for that time and doesn't have issues, I'm okay with it

13. ulackfocus Aug 1, 2016

14. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Aug 1, 2016

Any thread with a Casio reference must include this clip:

Steve88M3 and ahartfie like this.
  15. ahartfie The black sheep in the Spee-ee-eee-eedmaster flock Aug 1, 2016

I think I had that Casio in 1982-ish...

I did have a DataBank in 1988, that I remember.

16. RegF Aug 1, 2016

I have a couple of pieces that came with COSC certificates and an amazingly accurate Sinn - according to its certificate.

In practical tems, I've never checked the accuracy as I'm wearing a diferent watch every day and I'm aware that they are mechanical and so not the pinnacle of timetelling in our current era.

Its not why I'm wearing a watch.

For the most part, the potential accuracy is intellectually intriguing, but that is about it.

When I look at the time, it's mostly in the range of "oh, its about twenty to 3".

Occasionaly I'll need to be more precise with "the parking meter runs out at 2:39".

The practical need for to-the-second timetelling doesn't enter into my life.

In similar fashion, I don't need a dive watch that is water resistant to 5,000 or an aviator or a chronograph, if I'm really , brutally honest.

The attraction in collecting terms for me, is that it has been designed to be able to do these things.

So I can understand someone getting obsessive about getting the best performance out of their watches movement, but that is not me

I set things when I put them on based on the time on the interwebs and as long as Its close to all the other time telling gadgets in the house and car, then its okay by me.

I can happily live with that.

17. Aussie Jim Aug 2, 2016

Yes it is hard to think of any situation the modern man (or woman faces) where the accuracy of their mechanical time piece needs to be within seconds. I am fairly confident that everyone carries a much more accurate device in their pocket where ever they go.

I like to think of them as beautiful mechanical objects that have the advantage of having a function, but if my life depended on it, I would go to the electronics for accuracy.

Now I love mechanical things and love seeing them work well and smoothly. I revel in the expertise and engineering that has led to their development. I hate it when they misbehave. I am also prepared to just adjust the time occasionally

kov likes this.