"Exotic" Truman 12551

Posts
3,677
Likes
8,482
My first incoming in a while. Unpolished and oversized rose gold "Truman" reference 12551 (cal 287) with an amazing copper dial, lighter sub dials, and gold foil numbers. I've never seen this dial before. It's quite hard to photograph properly, as it changes with the light. I have seen a few other copper dials before, but never with the subdials offset in a lighter color. I think it makes this one look especially nice.

This came from an elderly doctor in Spain, who received it as a gift from his father (also a doctor), as a graduation present, many years ago.

This watch epitomizes what I love about UG, namely unique and beautiful combinations, that can still be found over 75 years later, for the first time (at least to me).

It's pictured on a dark brown 20mm suede UG strap from the 50s, with a matching UG buckle.

I think it's pretty amazing, and hope you all enjoy it as well. It really needs a video to capture the dial, but will do my best with some stills......
 
Posts
159
Likes
488
Truly lovely watch! Love that you know the history of the watch too. What a treasure!!!
 
Posts
3,677
Likes
8,482
Truly lovely watch! Love that you know the history of the watch too. What a treasure!!!

thanks!
 
Posts
6,821
Likes
10,639
Really superb!
 
Posts
37
Likes
230
My goodness that is a beautiful watch. Would you mind sharing the story of "the hunt"?
 
Posts
548
Likes
2,567
Back with a bang 😲

Just beautiful, B. Congratulations!
 
Posts
3,677
Likes
8,482
Thanks everyone for the comments. In retrospect perhaps not right to call this Tri a copper dial? Perhaps it's a gold dial ? Here's a copper TDMP I used to have for comparison....
 
Posts
3,677
Likes
8,482
My goodness that is a beautiful watch. Would you mind sharing the story of "the hunt"?

It's not an especially interesting story, but it popped onto the market from spain, in the usual online circles, and I was immediately taken with the dial and moved quickly. It was not a bargain, but fair I felt, given the condition and unusual dial. The previous owner had cracked the crystal, and I suspect it sat in a drawer unused for many years. Needed a full service, but everything came together nicely in the end, and I'm very happy to have it in the rotation as a dress watch.
 
Posts
3,677
Likes
8,482
Very nice one @bgrisso, saw a video of this on your instagram, the mirrored numerals against the copper look amazing.

thanks! yes, the foil/mirror numerals really shift in the light from bright to dark, as does the dial color and the contrasting sub dials. very dynamic.
 
Posts
8,130
Likes
36,636
Very, very nice. It looks awesome in the pictures and must look really amazing in real life 🥰
 
Posts
13,905
Likes
54,078
I would not expect this beauty to be a bargain. Great catch! Patina for the ages.
 
Posts
3,677
Likes
8,482
I would not expect this beauty to be a bargain. Great catch! Patina for the ages.

thanks Larry ! hope you can see this one in person at some point
 
Posts
576
Likes
356
I love it. I do recall a similar dial on a differant case number Need to think of where it was
 
Posts
1,116
Likes
3,942
I remember it! From C24 right? You were way faster than me, ahah! Congratulations, it's a beauty!