Forums Latest Members
  1. steve66 Feb 6, 2014

I would like to firstly commend Omega UK for their customer service.
    I have a 1962 Omega Seamaster 30 c.286 that is working great but I would still like to have it serviced as it is overdue and I may consider selling it at a later date?
    I received an email back from Omega UK the day after I emailed them and they offered to post a FREE prepaid package for me to send the watch to them and then it would be sent on to Switzerland for a FREE no obligation quote.
    Outstanding customer service and although I already own 3 Omega's I will certainly purchase more should the opportunity arise.
    I know for a fact that some other high end watch houses charge all the way for quotes and postage.
    BRAVO Omega :)

Also does anyone know if this is the correct crown (it has no logo) because if not, then I will request that it be replaced with a logo'd Omega one (they would probably do this anyway but it is always good to check).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 6, 2014

A couple on points on your post. I agree that the Omega Boutique has fantanstic customer service. My local store arranged for one of their New York based watchmakers to replace a crystal on one of my watches without charge, not even postage between here and New York!

That being said, I think you are going to be more than a little shocked when you get the service quote on your watch. My guess is that it will be close to US$1,000 or GBP650. That figure should include the replacement (with logo) crown and a signed Omega crystal.

This is at least double the value of the watch after the service. Unfortunately, the watchmakers in Switzerland have to do the same work regardless of whether the value of the watch is $200 or $20,000 (so long as it is the same movement, of course).

You see, I'm fairly certain that the dial was refinished, which will hurt the value dramatically. There are a couple of tells. First, Omega rarely used white printing on dials. Second, you can see some overspray of the new color on the number "9" in your picture. Not good.

You should be able to get a basic clean and lube of the movement done in the UK, for about GBP100 to 200. A far more cost effective option.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,
    gatorcpa

steve66 likes this.
  3. steve66 Feb 7, 2014

Thank you very much for all this information, these figures were exactly what I was trying to determine and I will pass on sending the watch to Switzerland and have the watch serviced here in the UK instead.
    My gut feeling was that the dial had been refinished but without a microscope it looks great on my wrist so I am not concerned at all.

Once again thank you very much for your input and advice.
    Have a great weekend :)

4. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar Feb 7, 2014

As pointed out your dial is refinished. For the cost of the service you could probably find a similar watch with an original dial.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 7, 2014

Or two. :)

Official Omega service information can be found here:

http://www.omegawatches.com/customer-service/watch-intervention/complete-maintenance-service-prices and

http://www.omegawatches.com/fileadmin/customer_service/cs_price_list.pdf

The cal. 286 would be part of group 4A, basic service is CHF890, or just under US $1,000.
    gatorcpa

steve66 likes this.
  6. steve66 Feb 7, 2014

Thank you again, I never spotted this at all on the Omega website!