Forums Latest Members

Example Of Al Archers Work.... Constellation

1. Mothra Mar 8, 2013

I wanted to follow up on my promise to show the detail in Al Archers recent work on my constellation.

First off, the well wrapped package arrived with the watch, a CD-ROM, a print out of my watch on the timeographer, and an Archer watches pen (which looks quality and was a really nice touch).

On the CD-ROM was a series of PDFs and an MP3 of the watch running. The most interesting PDF was the record of my service. It's a 90Mb file, with 40 pages consisting of text and 80 odd photos. Remember, this is not a step-sided gold pie pan, it's a simple cushion dial, but still benefited from this level of attention. Al said I could post some photos, so a couple are below, with Al's text (I did try to crop them down, but it wasn't working...).

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

Al cleaned up the crystal, but left the case untouched, and the watch is currently running at about +1.5s a day after a couple of bouts of regulation.

I had a bit of an issue with fedex who were reluctant to return the watch until I could prove I had shipped it to Canada in the first place - Al carefully photographs both sides of the packaging before he opens them, and this was very helpful in getting the package released.

Reading the PDF and seeing what had been done was fascinating and rewarding - it's a impressive record of every aspect of the movement; I also suspect this report will add a huge amount of value if I were ever to consider selling a watch Al had serviced as a measure of provenance/service history over and above the usual ebay 'just had this watch serviced by my watchmaker' spurious claims.

I actually reached out to the previous owner (it had been her dad's watch) to let her know the care and attention the watch had received and to share that it was good for at least another 50 years, which was something that choked her up.

2. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 8, 2013

You forgot one thing.
    [​IMG]

3. Mothra Mar 8, 2013

Thank you for the timely reminder... :)

Hzgm likes this.
  4. Dablitzer Mar 8, 2013

All I can say is "Dibs" and what a great record and step by step account and attention to detail Al has...I'm even considering sending a few of my watches on a "trip" around the globe! :)