Forums Latest Members
  1. steven Nov 7, 2012

Hi all,

I've owned my SMP 300m for a few weeks now...and obviously love wearing it, but am generally cautious. (Eg: won't wear it if I know I'm out for a few beers after work etc etc.)

I've no intention of ever selling it - due to sentimental value - but am just wondering what everyone's views on 'general wear and tear' are...as despite it being well looked after, my bracelet is already picking up a few scratches. (Pictured)

Does stuff like this constitute much loss in value? Is this an easily available replacement at relatively little cost? Am I just being overly concerned?

Feel free to hammer the new guy for wrapping his new toy in cotton wool!

image.jpg

2. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2012

Brushed finishes are easily restored with a green Scotchbrite pad provided that the scratches aren't deep.

Now stop babying your watch.

3. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Nov 7, 2012

That is superficial and can be easily addressed. Please don't use a Scotchbrite pad IMO. A refinishing block will leave a nice clean and brushed appearance without lines. Just speaking from my experience and customer feedback. Take care and good day.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2012

I wouldn't even worry about it mate, but I'll give you a tip, if you're taking it somewhere its going to get beat up, buy an Isofrane strap for it and keep the bracelet at home. I do that on my Seamaster Pro and the strap is just brilliant and comfy, did a review on them here: http://omegaforums.net/threads/isofrane-rubber-strap-review.974/

5. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2012

Why not? Plenty of guys use them on their brushed bracelets and clasps - even (cue sinister note) Rolex collectors! :eek: It's a common and oft used tip on watch forums. I'll update this post later with before & after pics if I still have them.

6. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2012

Found them.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

So tell me why shouldn't he use a green Scotchbrite again? ::confused2::

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 7, 2012

The main reason is that while a flat refinishing block will brush the clasp, it will not wear the edges of the engraving down due to being solid, while a scotch brite pad will take the edges off the engraving and make it look dull over time (Trev's is a good example of that).

8. ulackfocus Nov 7, 2012

Now there's a good explanation! Thanks Ash, never considered that because I've never used a Scotchbrite on a logoed bracelet or clasp because I don't own many. Plus, I don't care that much about the Seiko beaters I replace every 2 or 3 years, and the Breitling is polished.

9. steven Nov 8, 2012

Ah, didnt even know about these - although was offered a "free" black rubber Omega strap from a dealer when previously pricing up my SMP, and wondered if this was 'the done thing' with this kind of watch. Great review again...think i'll have a look at doing that...but will need to read up on how easy it is to switch straps with the correct tools etc.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 8, 2012

Good explanation . I always taped over any engraving. If you use a scotch brite they have various finer grades of the material.

11. pz93c Nov 8, 2012

I use 1500 grit sand paper and a few swipes, with the paper wet, and it is acceptable again.

But I have that laying around the house. If I had to buy something, I may use something different.