Forums Latest Members

Everyday watch - is a Cosmic Triple Date Moonphase a realistic choice

1. SimonR Jan 9, 2019

Hello everyone,

I'm new here and after a bit of advice, please. I've got a significant birthday coming up and after admiring vintage Omegas for a long time, and inheriting a little bit of a legacy, have decided that the time's right to treat myself. I've put quite a long time into looking at various vintage Omegas and originally had the following criteria in mind: Must be automatic, chronometer rated and have date indicator(s), but also under-stated, elegant and not too small, or over-sized for that matter!

Over the past couple of years I've looked at all things Omega but not found anything I really, really liked. First world problems, eh? All that changed recently when my eyes settled on a Cosmic Triple Date, even though it didn't quite fit the criteria, I love the triple date function and moonphase complication, and that dial is pretty exquisite:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-Co...h=item3ad41f724d:g:FZ8AAOSwImRYQ6Zv:rk:1:pf:0Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

OK - maybe not *that* dial - but it must once have been a beauty.

I've been doing some research, and in particular this page was very useful:

https://www.fratellowatches.com/tbt-omega-cosmic-moonphase/

What I can't find out is exactly what the difference between the sets of references (2606, 2471 and 2473 in 35 mm cases, and 2485 & 2486 in the 37 mm size) are.For example I know in other Omegas, such as the 30T2s, the different references refer to variations in caseback design and presence sub-second dials etc.

I know that there are issues with these watches with degradation of the dial due to humidity and age and also corresponding problems with the movement. This doesn't bother me as I'm looking to buy a watch for everyday use, not as a collector - although obviously I don't want to get stung by paying top money for a re-dialled watch. I've seen quite a few re-dialls in the course of my research and know to look particularly carefully at the day track on the outer dial.

I also appreciate that the cases are available stainless, yellow gold, rose gold or rolled gold. Out of all of them I think the Stainless is my fave option as it fits the not-too-flashy requirement. Unfortunately I think that's most peoples choice as well!

Anyway, what I'm really after, if anyone wants to respond, are opinions about whether it's realistic to run a watch like this as an every-day watch (with due care being taken, of course) and also what I should be looking for when examining potential purchases. The birthday is in March but I am in no rush at all as I can see that finding the right timepiece is going to require patience and effort. Out of everything, the dial is the most important thing for me and there seems to be quite a lot of variation, although I don't understand quite what changes happened over time, or whether or not the variations are random or if they're related to case reference.

Cheers everyone :)

2. Dan S Jan 9, 2019

OK, first of all, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think any of the Cosmic triple-date moonphase references you mentioned are automatic. I'm also not certain that any are chronometer rated, and in my opinion they aren't understated (in fact, they're extremely busy). So I'm confused about the disconnect between your requirements and the watches that you're considering.

Putting that aside ...

Regarding reference numbers. The case itself is one of the most common differences between references. For example, refs 2485 and 2486 have completely different lugs. Each reference can have many dial/handset variations.

Any high-quality watch can probably be an every-day watch if you treat it carefully, have it serviced regularly, and keep it dry. However, I think it would be good for you to have a few watches to rotate, include a rainy-day watch that can handle a sprinkle, and a more casual watch for yard work, etc.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 9, 2019

How about a speedmaster day date aka mk40 aka triple date?

They come in a bunch of flavors and are automatics. Many are much dressier and they are a small wearing 40mm due to the bezel.
    59E25F55-7A4C-4997-A846-0277B20C59A3.jpeg

4. KingCrouchy Jan 9, 2019

Maybe a Constellation Pie pan would be better.
    Chronometer✓
    Automatic✓
    Date (depends on the Ref)✓
    Understated✓
    Bingo!

bazderome likes this.
  5. Evitzee Jan 9, 2019

Frankly, I don't remember seeing any really nice Omega Cosmics for sale, they are all pretty beaten up with terrible dials. Perhaps they just weren't robustly designed or constructed.

If you want a triple date does it have to be an Omega? Jaeger LeCoultre made many classic ones in the 1940's and 50's, some with moon, some without. I've owned a JLC pink gold triple date made in 1946 for over thirty years with original dial and although I don't wear it on a constant basis I have no doubt it would be fine as a daily wearer. And I think the JLC design is superior with the tear drop lugs and grooved case band. But these types of watches don't have the extreme shock resistance or water resistance cases of today but worn carefully they are fine. If you go down this route you have to be careful that you get a well maintained version otherwise you will have trouble. Good luck.

IMG_6674.JPG IMG_6672.JPG
    Zman4eva, Eve, cristos71 and 10 others like this.
  6. mac_omega Jan 10, 2019

Although I am a hard core Omega collector I am with you concerning the JLC triple dates.

I never thought of buying an Omega cosmic triple date because most of the references do not sing to me at all except the square ones, but they are pretty expensive and very hard to find in any condition when they have an original dial.
    An alternative would be the pg automatic version of the museum´s series - it is really a beauty.

DSC_1007.jpg

My JLC says hello

JLC_triple_SS.jpg

I know - its not perfect - but I love it

7. ConElPueblo Jan 10, 2019

@SimonR - how about a Seamaster ref. 168.023?

It has day and date, is chronometer-rated and automatic, has a very respectable and modern looking 36mm case and is an allround fantastic watch.

[​IMG]
    from here.

bardamu, heavenscloud, SimonR and 3 others like this.
  8. SimonR Jan 10, 2019

Thank you everyone for your replies :)

@Dan S - yes you're right, the TDMP Cosmic doesn't fit all the criteria that I'd set myself, but in I included them in case anybody had any other suggestions for a watch which did. Thanks for the pointer about the lugs: I could see that they were different between watches but hadn't made the connection with the case ref. I was having a hard time finding something that really spoke to me with those criteria so I'm OK with relaxing them.

Thanks also @Foo2rama, @KingCrouchy, @Evitzee and @mac_omega for the suggestions. I'm not much of a fan of the Omega Constellation Pie Pan watches (a bit too traditional for me!) but the JLC triple date are lovely things aren't they. I shall look at a few of them for sure as possible options which are similar to the Omega but possibly (probably) better made.

And finally @ConElPueblo I had looked at the Sea - and Railmasters and TBH I nearly bought a black dialed Railmaster as I liked the dial better, however I never found one that was chronometre rated, auto and date. I'm not dead set with the lighter coloured Seamaster dials like the one in the pic although I do have to admit that that particular one looks very smart. Maybe if I do end up needing a series of watches for rotational purposes a Seamaster would fit the bill very well.

Anyway, I'll continue looking and reading and enjoy the thrill of the chase. All the best, chaps :)

KingCrouchy and Foo2rama like this.
  9. Basset Hound Jan 10, 2019

I’m mainly an Omega fan but also have a few JLC’s. These are my triple date Moonphase watches. I wouldn’t describe them as everyday watches and they’re not automatic but still nice to own. FAB56364-C242-4388-A084-FEB0EBF3F6DE.jpeg 596E38DC-EA75-4378-8595-44B5ADF4CE9E.jpeg 5E27CE54-9001-4982-BABD-A36315D92AE3.jpeg

Maybe, heavenscloud, SimonR and 2 others like this.
  10. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jan 10, 2019

FIFY - but each to their own ;)

SimonR likes this.
  11. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 11, 2019

12. rfordo Jan 11, 2019

Might be worth it to give Movado triple dates a shot. Pay attention to case size, wait for a good example, and you're good to go.

I work at a desk and wear my gold Movado triple date 3 days a week on average.

Good example sold here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VTG-MOVADO...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

Maybe likes this.
  13. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 11, 2019

SimonR likes this.
  14. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 11, 2019

Sorry, my bad.

15. SimonR Jan 12, 2019

Thank you all for the suggestions I've been enjoying looking at the alternatives and also some more of the Omegas. @Basset Hound's Jaeger LeCoultre is my favourite of the 'others' so far - that's a very pleasing dial.

Incidentally, what does anyone think about this watch, currently on eBay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OMEGA-CO...-WRISTWATCH-2471-1-OMEGA-SERVICE/333008900133Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I'm not thinking of buying it because I much prefer the 1940's dials and I'm still learning about vintage watches, however just as an example - that surely is a redial isn't it? Looks far too clean and modern. Also would you be put off because it's just been serviced by Omega? From what I've read, that's the last place you'd want to send a vintage Omega watch if you wer serious about its authenticity. - Or does that apply to some but not all watches?

Thanks everyone :)

16. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jan 12, 2019

Heavily polished, look at the lug holes distance to the edge. I also highly doubt that’s the original dial. There is no way that is the original moon disk, I have never once seen on from that period that has no signs of aging. I cannot find a similar dial type from that period at all.

SimonR likes this.
  17. waking-crickets Jan 12, 2019

I love vintage watches, but with some of mine (e.g., my JLC Futurematic, and some of my alarms) I'm always keeping an eye on the weather forecast. It sounds like you're already collecting, but you'll likely want to have a rainy day watch as well.

SimonR likes this.
  18. MMariotti Jan 12, 2019

Man this is a stunning JLC you have there. Congratulations!

19. SimonR Jan 13, 2019

I went to see a friend today and we got talking about watches so I showed him this thread - to my surprise he said 'hang on, I've got something similar upstairs'...

Turns out he inherited a self winding Heuer triple date from his grand father some years ago. It's a pretty small case, perhaps about 30 mm and TBH I think it's a little too small to be read clearly (at least by my eyes!) but I thought you might like to see it. Apologies that the photo isn't very good - my 'phone camera is not great, but it's enough to see what I'm talking about. I hope the reversal of the day numbers on the outer ring isn't an indication of a redial like it is with the Omegas!!

[​IMG]

ConElPueblo likes this.
  20. waXology Feb 1, 2019

Hi guys,

My two cents here. I have a cosmic from 1949 and wear it I would say 3-4 days a week. I don't see why I shouldn't wear it and enjoy it. I just have to be a little bit more conscience when i do things like washing my hands etc but all in all it's lovely to wear. If you find one in good shape and a good price then it won't be a bad idea. They are very few and far between in good shape.

47047211_787735438237231_7060516074876456966_n.jpg

Happy hunting

ps. i have more photos on my IG here

Zman4eva, Rman, SimonR and 5 others like this.