Forums Latest Members

Everyday (dare we say "cheap"?) Leather Straps

1. jimmyd13 May 18, 2019

Some of you may know that I finance my watch collection by trading other watches. Basically, I buy a lot of watches at auction; fix them up; keep the ones I love; and, sell the ones that I can live without. In doing this, I have amassed a number of contacts for parts, repairs, servicing ... anything to do with watches (as well as many other things).

What this little ramble is coming to is straps. Particularly Hirsch straps. I could always get these at trade prices. Right up until a few weeks ago. I've found myself in need of half a dozen 19mm open ended (butterfly) straps. That size was out of stock, so I ordered a handful and waited. And waited. I am now informed that Hirsch has closed its London office. More than that, they've stopped making 19mm open ended leather straps. No-one's sure if there are plans to make more in the future.

It's a bit of a blow.

I could get a camel grain, genuine leather, open ended strap for less than £20. Now, I know strap makers and I can have them made to order but that means using top grain and the price goes up to over £40 each. That makes a dent in the profit margin. Now, it's not really a problem if I'm selling a nice 1950s Seamaster at the £900 mark but I also sell things like ... well, next to me is a Jaquet-Droz (it's a little peach), at around £200. More importantly, straps that are handmade tend to be thicker than the machine made ones ... and they don't always suit vintage watches.

So, who can suggest another strap maker at the Hirsch price levels? Ones that make the "odd" sizes we often find on vintage watches? At least genuine leather and with options for padded and open ends?

2. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers May 18, 2019

Hi mate
    have you looked on Cousin's site?
    I haven't bought any from them but when looking for parts I seem to recall they have quite a few well-priced straps on their pages.

jimmyd13 likes this.
  3. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 18, 2019

4. Dan S May 18, 2019

That's disappointing. I have always had to pay full retail, but Hirsch was my go-to brand for open-ended straps. The ones that you glue closed.

5. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept May 18, 2019

For cheaper off the shelf options I like this website,
    https://www.watch-band-center.com/watchstrap-s761h175-Watch-Straps-19mm.html

They have uneven lug widths for open ended straps but it’s true their camel color 19mm is Hirsch—still available but not at all cheap at 47 euros. Their black ones from other brands are cheaper at 20 euros.

I once bought a Rios clip strap on that web site which I liked (18mm).

Another very good option for 19mm fixed lugs are 20mm NATO straps. They work very well.

Otherwise I personally like an Italian craftsman whose bespoke straps are cheaper than the Hirsch straps listed here.

Edited May 19, 2019
    connieseamaster, jimmyd13 and Mods like this.
  6. jimmyd13 May 19, 2019

Thank you @Syrte - I know your Italian gentleman but I'll look up Rios and the site you've linked.

Syrte likes this.
  7. jimmyd13 May 19, 2019

I went to cousins - no open ended straps at all!

I think we're going to find a problem in the near future getting these.