Forums Latest Members

Ever Wondered What 50 Year Old Grease Looks Like?

1. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 22, 2015

As a wedding present, 50 years ago this summer, my uncle's wife gave him a pair of Omega stopwatches - like all of the males in our family he is a motor sport nut. Unfortunately, a couple of years ago they were burgled and as the house was tossed, the drawer in which they were kept was thrown around. One of the stop watches was stolen but the other one flew under the bed and was missed by the low-life.

With the golden anniversary coming up, my uncle asked me to have a look at the remaining watch to see if I could get it working again.

It didn't look too good when I got it - the mainspring was fully wound and no amount of gentle shaking would coax it into life. Also, the pusher wouldn't push at all, so the hands were stopped where they were when the watch packed up a good 30 years ago.

Things didn't get any better as the post on which the second hand sits came away with the hand. This post is part of the heart (like the heart on a chronograph runner) and it turns out that the minute recording heart broke as soon as I released its spring.
    9000-6.jpg

Having removed the watch workings to avoid any damage to them, I set about seeing why the chronograph parts wouldn't move and as soon as I removed the plate covering the column wheel, it became apparant.
    9000-1.jpg
    9000-2.jpg
    The 50 year old grease had set like concrete - it had never been serviced so I was surprised to see how much grease Lemania/Omega had used.

Here is a closer view of the horror:
    9000-4.jpg
    9000-5.jpg

Needless to say, this little lot took a long time in the cleaning machine to remove and fortunately the hearts were available from Cousins. So now, having rebuilt it and adjusted the lower balance jewel to get the balance to move at all, I have now adjusted the timing and it is running down from a full wind before it gets its dial, hands and case back.
    9000-7.jpg
    9000-8.jpg

As an amateur, I always check on the availability of parts before I start and I'm glad that those hearts were available otherwise this one would have been junk. I'm looking forward to seeing my uncle's reaction when I give it back to him.

Edited Mar 22, 2015
    Lukeeesteve, RLC, TNTwatch and 3 others like this.
  2. micampe Mar 22, 2015

Excellent news those hearts. Looking forward to the finished pictures.

3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 22, 2015

For once, a GOOD uncle story!

SpikiSpikester and Event horizon like this.
  4. KIMBER Mar 22, 2015

Good rescue mission.

5. OmegaRookie Mar 22, 2015

Nice!! I would love to learn how to work on watches like that. I'm afraid it's a dying art

Dan51 likes this.
  6. ChrisN Mar 22, 2015

Great photos and a nice story Stewart. It looks to have cleaned up really well. Waiting to see the final result!

@OmegaRookie there are a few of us amateurs here who tinker with watches so if you feel inspired to have a go at something simple, you're bound to get some help.

Cheers, Chris

7. OmegaRookie Mar 22, 2015

Thanks. Maybe I'll find a box of scrap and see what I can learn

8. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 22, 2015

Just to echo what Chris said, us tinkerers will always help each other and we know that there are professionals here, on this forum, who selflessly, step in to lend their help. For anyone considering stepping up from a three hand watch to a chronograph, this is definitely a half way house, even if you do need bigger screwdrivers - other than releasing the stem, the smallest one here was 1.6mm and shamefully, I have to confess that I didn't have the largest I really needed as my set only goes up to 2.5mm (I know, you can see the evidence)

OmegaRookie likes this.
  9. TheCaptainOfTech Mar 22, 2015

Great story even better to see that stopwatch back in full action

10. AAAKK First listing in the ΩF B2B phone book Mar 22, 2015

I love hearing stories like this, thanks for sharing

11. ChrisN Mar 22, 2015

Better to start with a running 6497 such as:
    http://m.ebay.es/itm/221722544318?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

If you get it running after your work, you can add these, for example:
    http://m.ebay.es/itm/111615579753?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network
    http://m.ebay.es/itm/111623671525?Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

I haven't checked these go together but, I like that case with it's display back. No, too many projects at the moment....

Cheers, Chris

12. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 22, 2015

How about a pic of the watch face? :)

You certainly will be the #1 nephew.

13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 22, 2015

lerxst likes this.
  14. GoldenHour Mar 22, 2015

Stewart great job on the rebuild, another success story. I know what you mean about the grease freezing up solid, I just restored a 50+ year old Necchi sewing machine.
    It would freeze up without a little help starting it. All the old oil gummed up and solidified.

15. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 23, 2015

I don't work on these much (few are worth any money) so nice job. One thing though - in some the posts are in 2 parts, and the hands come off with the dial - they are not removed before removing the dial like on a traditional watch. Just something to keep in mind if you ever tackle another...

Cheers, Al

16. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 23, 2015

Thanks Al. I don't think I've ever used as much 9501 (still not as much as the original build) as I did on this one - there's a lot of parts that slide across the main plate.

The one thing I would add is that adjusting the height of the palet on its arbour is a delicate operation after having moved the lower jewel setting to get the balance swinging- thank you Horia.

17. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 23, 2015

Not the greatest of photos but....
    Dial.jpg

For photos of the finished item, you'll have to wait until Friday when I will give it back to my uncle. It's only fair that he should be the first to see it and I know my cousin has shown this thread to her Dad.

ChrisN and RLC like this.
  18. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 23, 2015

This is a super cool story. What a fabulous gift you and your family are giving to your uncle.

19. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 27, 2015

Well, as promised, here are the photos of the finished watch. My uncle was really pleased and was telling everyone at my father's retirement party (and the wake for their building company, that they closed down) that it looked like it was almost brand new.

Finished.jpg
    3-51.jpg

squirrelmaster, LouS, Archer and 4 others like this.
  20. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Mar 27, 2015

Consider the age of 50 it does look brand new. Great story and thanks for sharing.