Ever buy a watch that you knew would be impossible to fix but it was too beautiful to pass up?

I knew I would probably never be able to find a missing cap/new pusher but this was too beautiful to pass up.

20210824_125411.jpg

14K valjoux that sits in my watchbox unworn but not unloved.

Like 27
The people who purchased Gallet apparently acquired a lot of old parts and they service watches. I'm personally not a big fan of what that company has become, but this might be the situation to use them.

Like 10
The people who purchased Gallet apparently acquired a lot of old parts and they service watches. I'm personally not a big fan of what that company has become, but this might be the situation to use them.

You are a freaking genius! I had no idea and it never even occurred to me to try to contact the modern brand.

I just looked at their website and saw their service department that said they have old parts. Sent them the form email and should hear back in two days.

OMG if they can fix this I will be ecstatic. I bought it hoping to get it fixed for my wife. She is not into watches but I have been looking for the right watch that she would wear.

Many thanks for the great idea.

Like 14
You are a freaking genius! I had no idea and it never even occurred to me to try to contact the modern brand.

I just looked at their website and saw their service department that said they have old parts. Sent them the form email and should hear back in two days.

OMG if they can fix this I will be ecstatic. I bought it hoping to get it fixed for my wife. She is not into watches but I have been looking for the right watch that she would wear.

Many thanks for the great idea.
Darn I really enjoyed the sentiment of this thread and thought it was cool you liked a watch you couldn’t get running. I am going to be disheartened if you get that thing running. This whole thread is a travesty and a mockery. I’m considering leaving watches for good as I can’t handle these ups and downs. Now I’m gonna have to spend the rest of the day in therapy.

Like 7
And even if not given that the other one is there I assume it is not that hard or expensive to machine one.

Like 3
Pushers? Who needs a pusher?! ‘Bought it for my wife’…you keep on telling her that :D Just teasing. Beautiful catch. I hope she likes it…

Like 2
...I’m considering leaving watches for good as I can’t handle these ups and downs. Now I’m gonna have to spend the rest of the day in therapy.

Isn't that the truth! Ups and downs, ins and outs, twists and turns.

Waiting for Gallet...

Like 2
Well. I just got off the phone after an hour long conversation with the Gallet vintage department. Unbelievable.

So I filled out the form. Shortly after I got a call from Georgia. I didn't answer because most of these are spam. But there was a message so likely not spam.

The gentleman calling said this is Larry from Gallet. After picking myself off the floor I called him back as fast as I could dial.

So we talked an hour, which means there's too much to share and my small brain is overloaded. Here's some of what I remember.

Larry has a smaller team of three guys, which used to be 5 watchmakers. He distinguishes between collector/museum grade restorations versus a typical factory restoration. No polishing, changing dials, etc. They will install new o-rings on the pushers for example. Everything you want to hear.

Things are happening at Gallet. They are working on an historical reference book, which they had hoped to come out sooner but they keep finding out new info. Hope to have it out in December now.

They are working on re-issuing the EP 40-68 from technical specs. This will be a longer project but it is on-going. That is exciting. The Excelsior Park movement was the smoothest chronograph I have ever touched.

Like Dan said, they have parts. Many of the watches they get are basket cases. Larry did not seem the least bit troubled by a missing pusher cap.

Unfortunately, when they shut down Gallet, they shipped the parts back to Switzerland and all the records were destroyed. They are working on a serial number project to restore a database with as much as they can. All the vintage watches that come in for repair add to the data.

Larry is an old time Omega guy. Back in the day he would sell Omegas and Rolexes to the Japanese market. This got him recognized and short story is he worked on the Omegamania auction. So he has seen a lot.

Larry was saying that something like 95% of the Gallets were sold in the states, which is why their service department was set up here rather than in Switzerland where the watches were produced. NYC and Chicago were big markets.

For Gallet fans, this is a great time. They are working towards a strong recovery. For example, they still make components for other brands, including balance wherls for Patek and others. Their new Racing watch has an in house movement with a 10 year warranty. They are trying to position themselves (in my mind) as a value luxury watch.

Very fun conversation from a person who took time from his work late in the day to speak with me. I am very grateful to him and feel privileged to have shared that time with him.

Thanks, Dan for the suggestion. And to all the Gallet fans, keep watching the new Gallet.

Now I want more Gallets. Is this how someone becomes a collector?

Like 29
@pdxleaf sooo, you convinced him to join the forum!?

Tried. He's a moderator for Gallet world on Facebook. I think that scratches his watch itch and keeps him busy.

But we'll keep working on him ;)

Edit: (Larry S knows more than I do of course.)

This guy Larry has a history of calling people and charming them, but my overall feelings are not so positive. There are a lot of sketchy things going on with the people running this Gallet company and the Facebook group, and I have been following it for too long and know too much. Don't hold your breath for their promises, and definitely don't believe what they say about the brand's history. This has been addressed in various threads on this forum and others, so it's probably not necessary to rehash it all here.

That said, they do have the parts, and they can service chronographs. My personal experience with their service was not great TBH (I waited 14 months, they were unresponsive, and they polished the case against my wishes), but others have had better experiences, and they do have the parts. Just be REALLY clear with your instructions, keep your BS-meter set to high, and hold their feet to the fire.

Like 7
Tried. He's a moderator for Gallet world on Facebook. I think that scratches his watch itch and keeps him busy.

But we'll keep working on him ;)

Edit: (Larry S knows more than I do of course.)
I have heard good things and bad things. I’d make sure I’d understand scope, cost and timing before I shipped a watch there. I would hope they’d progress as a service.

Like 1
It sounds like the best solution is to find the same model watch, buy it cheap, send it for service, then harvest what comes back for parts…. What could possibly go wrong :)

Like 2
Am I missing something? They have generic pushers. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Like 1
Am I missing something? They have generic pushers. Not ideal, but better than nothing.

My understanding is that they are small, which is the primary difficulty. Gold plated, which isn't a huge obstacle.

But I would be happy with any pusher that fits without force and is the correct size.

For example, they still make components for other brands, including balance wherls for Patek and others.

Interesting...not sure I quite believe this claim though...

If someone has information on this, please post it.

Like 4
Interesting...not sure I quite believe this claim though...

If someone has information on this, please post it.

I think....

0*PMo44j8Zv6tm9NOt.jpg

Like 1
Ever buy a watch that you knew would be impossible to fix but it was too beautiful to pass up?

Now you know how any guy who ever dated Jennifer Aniston feels…

Like 4

Now you know how any guy who ever dated Jennifer Aniston feels…

What is it about JA that you feel needs to be "fixed"?

Like 2
What is it about JA that you feel needs to be "fixed"?

Her ability to maintain a long-term relationship…

Charlie Schlatter

Daniel McDonald

Jon Stewart

Adam Duritz

Tate Donovan

Paul Rudd

Brad Pitt

Vince Vaughn

Paul Sculfor

John Mayer

Gerard Butler

Bradley Cooper