Forums Latest Members

Ever Bought A Watch And Felt Disappointed Because...

1. Lowflight Feb 6, 2019

the seller acted like they did you a favor by selling the watch to you?

I just bought a PO from a well known OF dealer. Dude has the personality of drywall. Condescending as hell. Aggravating at every turn. Nice watch and fair price...but I feel meh about the deal. No follow up ...nothing.

2. BradleyJ. Feb 6, 2019

As long as I got the watch and it was in as described condition, for a price I'm comfortable paying, I could care less about after the transaction. Not to sound harsh but I'm not trying to make a new best friend

3. Lowflight Feb 6, 2019

Knew this was coming. Not looking for a friend. However when you give someone $3500 a little courtesy goes a long way. If it hadn't been something hard to find I'd told him to piss off. Now, circle the wagons.

4. gostang9 Feb 6, 2019

No. I’ve bought a number in the last few years and never felt the way you do. I always tried to pay promptly, they always tried to deliver quickly and I haven’t been negatively surprised on any of the deals. A few times an extra strap or bonus picture was included that wasn’t expected, so any surprise has always been on the upside.

blufinz52, Pun and superfly like this.
  5. bigsom Feb 6, 2019

I get what OP is saying though, nobody likes dealing with someone who treats them poorly. In the end this is a hobby, it is best when everyone involved has a pleasant experience.

6. M'Bob Feb 6, 2019

It's difficult to separate the item you buy, from the experience and people involved in its purchase. I believe these things are intimately related, and while you may think it's all about the watch, it's really about all facets of the transaction. Nice people are remembered, appreciated, and sometimes can become friends in a hobby like this.

LECO, chronoboy64, amiriqbal and 11 others like this.
  7. BradleyJ. Feb 6, 2019

I'm curious as to what the after deal protocol is? Is it like sleeping with a new woman, are you supposed to call the next day? :D but seriously I dont expect anything after the transaction so I'm not really sure what is required. And for ref, I did just make a large purchase off this forum for around what you said and I just sent a message back saying I got it. That was just a courtesy to let the seller know it didnt get lost in the mail.

8. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Feb 6, 2019

I'm of a down-home, friendly disposition, but don't give a hoot if a seller also is or not. It's "no skin off my nose" whether the seller is chatty or not if the item I wanted and purchased proves to be as described. I'll be happier with unsociable and aloof and quality merchandise than genial and buddy-buddy and merchandise with an unrevealed defect.

9. boogedyboo Feb 6, 2019

Well, you did say you were dealing with an OF dealer.

A dealer probably has multiple watches on sale at any one time on multiple platforms so he gets bombarded with queries constantly, 90% of which do not convert to a sale.

Furthermore, if his prices are fair and that's unusual for dealers, I can understand his "take it or leave it" attitude.

10. KAP Feb 6, 2019

I live in a USA state where customer service seems to be a challenge rather than common. Probably a combination of a small population and lack of competitiveness. There is such an impact on my experience when I am exposed to exhibits of an extra effort that I want to encourage and reward it. Customer service is an established ingredient of a successful business plan for repeat sellers. This includes good communication, follow through and standing behind what is being sold.

Edited Feb 6, 2019
  11. sdre Feb 6, 2019

Conversely, I have dealt with other dealers who are champs.

Asking a simple "how's it going buddy" (like seriously how difficult is that), or "cheers! Talk soon!" easily differentiates the "higher than thou" attitude ones.

I know exactly how OP feels; I had an email conversation with a dealer and it felt like I had to BEG him for the watch because his pieces are so fantastic and well priced; like he's doing me a big favor to sell the watch to me.

It's this type of "exemplary" behaviour that drives me to dealers like Jacek @hqmilton. Sure I'm paying a hefty premium; but by golly, he doesn't treat me like shit.

Steve88M3, MaiLollo and bigsom like this.
  12. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 6, 2019

Interesting, I have sold a few times here and one was just a very efficient transaction, one was a negotiation but carried out in an honest and good natured way and on other occasions I feel like I have made a new friend. Even when I forgot to include a service receipt everything has been done warmly on both sides.
    With one purchase I received a handwritten note thanking me for trusting the seller with my purchase, which I thought was a nice touch.

Lovewatches2 and sdre like this.
  13. mayankyadav Feb 7, 2019

Didn`t you get a "nice watch" at a "fair price" in return ?

kkt, Njnjcfp88 and BradleyJ. like this.
  14. hungdangnguyen23 Feb 7, 2019

Hey OP - I totally get what you're saying. Buying a watch from a stranger on the internet requires trust and forming a sort of relationship. Personally, I am always honored when someone chooses to purchase a watch from me and I like to go out of my way to convey my appreciation to the guy who chose to trust me, a stranger on the internet, with something as personal as a watch purchase.

For example, here's a text message I sent to the guy who recently purchased my Tudor North Flag. It was his first "luxury" watch and he even asked me if it was an automatic lol!! So of course, I had to follow up to take care of him - it's not a cheap watch and I'm happy to spread good karma around in this awesome little hobby of ours!

20190206_225355.jpg 20190206_225419.jpg

rene4, haqq777, KingCrouchy and 9 others like this.
  15. Lowflight Feb 7, 2019

This went about as expected. Hence the "circle the wagons" . Mods shut it down or y'all keep going without me. Have a good one all:)

16. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 7, 2019

Perhaps instead buy from a high end, brick and mortar store. Wonderful service, a glass of wine, smiles and
    obsequiousness abound. And pay double the price.

kkt, kingsrider, IanS and 1 other person like this.
  17. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 7, 2019

@Lowflight, when did you become so sensitive? That's not the Lowflight I've come to know and love :whistling:

OWa likes this.
  18. Edward53 Feb 7, 2019

Sometimes you try to make a transaction friendly and pleasant and your efforts are thrown back in your face.It's not nice, but the rancour soon evaporates and the enjoyment of owning the watch remains.

19. Renton Feb 7, 2019

I fully understand what you mean. I do get that feeling at times but I don’t let that feeling linger for too long. After all, some do view sales are purely transactional and do not seek to further any friendship/relations past the sale (which in itself is nothing wrong). For sellers/buyers who remain in touch and drop a message every now and then, I enjoy conversing with them and catching up.

20. WYO_Watch Feb 7, 2019

I’ve never really had a seller treat me poorly, but then again, I’ve mostly bought watches from hobbiests. I can see how a negative feeling from a transaction can impact the later enjoyment of a watch. I have a several watches that I enjoy more because the story behind them or because my wife gave them to me than because they are spectacular pieces.

Maybe there is another layer to “buy the seller”?