Forums Latest Members

Eventual First Polerouter purchase : Help

1. Doddy123 Dec 10, 2017

2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 10, 2017

Over polished case and incorrect crown. If you can afford a better one, then wait for it.

Doddy123 likes this.
  3. Doddy123 Dec 10, 2017

4. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 10, 2017

Those twisted lugs are distinctive, and when their lines "melt", as they appear to have in your first linked example, they've been polished too heavily in my view.

You should easily be able to see the contrast with the second one, though that watch also has issues.

Doddy123 likes this.
  5. Doddy123 Dec 10, 2017

All right . Now i get it . For such an old watch , to have such " slick " finish . It does obviously mean that it has been polished too much .

But the second one doesn't have this problem right ? For the price , what do you think ?

There's a watchshop in Paris that sells really nice Polerouter but he sells it for 3k8 euros ... WAY TOO MUCH for me willing to put 1200/1300 maximum .

6. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 10, 2017

While there are some exceptions (e.g. "teardrop" lugs), most cases had some sharp lines when they left the factory. Sympathetic polishing will leave the basic lines intact, but when they become indistinct, or disappear, the case has been over-polished.

Do you need a gold Polerouter, or are you open to steel?

Doddy123 likes this.
  7. Doddy123 Dec 10, 2017

My initial plan was to get 3 dress watches : Longines Conquest heritage / Polerouter in gold / omega Seamaster Deville or an Omega Pie pan Constellation . What are your thoughts ?

I'm open to a steel .
    Do you have a gold one to suggest , also ?

8. Doddy123 Dec 10, 2017

By the way , concretely , what's wrong with an over-polished watch ?

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 10, 2017

Well, aesthetics are entirely subjective, so if you like the look of a watch, no matter what the flaws, you shouldn't feel pressured not to buy.

However, the majority of collectors, and vast majority of 'serious' collectors, prefer not to own watches that have been polished heavily. Why? Because the cases have lost the integrity and look that they had when they left the factory. I would recommend that you either visit a dealer, or someone with a good collection, so that you can hold some unpolished watches in your hand. The look and feel are much different than heavily polished watches.

Polishing also degrades value. If you are early in your collecting, you will almost certainly find that you will sell watches at a later date. And when you choose to do that, the value of heavily polished examples will typically degrade, rather than possibly increasing with good, unpolished examples.

There is advice given to collectors of fine art, which applies equally to vintage cars and watches: buy the best that you can afford. Why? Again, because the best examples will either increase in value over time, or hold value better than lesser examples. They are also more pleasing to own.

If I were you, given your budget, I would buy a nice steel Polerouter. You can always seek out a gold one later, when you are in a position to spend a bit more.

shelfcompact, aap, Doddy123 and 4 others like this.
  10. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Dec 10, 2017

He said it all.

Doddy123 likes this.
  11. Doddy123 Dec 10, 2017

I guess that I would never sell my polerouter as long as it keep working . I love this piece , find it timeless and really dressy . Therefore , if i can afford a good one for an affordable price , it will defo be a keeper .

How much the polishing degrades the condition of the wath ? If it's purely about degrading value in the face of the collectors , i don't mind .

Other than that , i'm up to get a steel version of this one but i can't find a single one for a reasonable price .

What are your thoughts about the second one ?

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 10, 2017

Gold-capped (very thick gold filled) Polerouter for over US$1,300 is absurd.

The solid gold one is a better value. Both cases are very worn.

I agree with @Tony C.
    gatorcpa

cicindela likes this.
  13. Doddy123 Dec 10, 2017

I might wait a little in order to find one that i really like though ...
    It's pretty hard to find one for less than 1500 i guess .

14. Vitezi Dec 10, 2017

Patience, and research, is key in vintage watches.
    The right watch has been waiting 60 years for you to find it. A little while longer won't hurt.

jumpingsecond and Tony C. like this.
  15. 10H10 Dec 11, 2017

Let me add that gold cases, since gold is way softer than steel, get their angles worn out just by 60 years of sleeves "polishing", so it's much easier to find pristine steel cases...