Forums Latest Members

Etsy, Share Your Experience

1. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jul 17, 2018

I just opened an Etsy account. Please share the pros and cons. I have not bought or sold yet, but with Ebay getting worse everyday, I thought I would try Etsy out.

2. Dan S Jul 17, 2018

I have bought a few watches on etsy and I have about 25 "stores" whose stock that I regularly check. I have also bought custom straps and other accessories. I have only had good experiences with the sellers.

The search engine is terrible and there doesn't appear to be any way to save searches, so it is really a pain to look for watches.

3. boogedyboo Jul 17, 2018

I have had good experiences with sellers on Etsy. As with other online marketplaces, you just have to look at the reviews and feedback.

But yes, the search engine is a real pain. There are not many filters you can use so you have to manually go through all the listings.

connieseamaster likes this.
  4. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jul 17, 2018

Not in love with Etsy. The search engine drags in anything close to the words entered.

Sellers like it better as it is cheaper to sell fixed price goods and is far more seller friendly than eBay.

They also don't shove PayPal down all sellers' throats.

I find most prices on watches are retail plus.

I know of one top notch Hamilton guy who sells exclusively on Etsy if anyone is interested.
    gatorcpa

connieseamaster and watch3s like this.
  5. sevenhelmet Jul 17, 2018

Etsy is a place you can search for individual items for sale? I thought it was just for home business startups...

6. Braindrain Jul 17, 2018

Ordered some custom made day cravats off Etsy. Very good and pricing was excellent. As others have said, buy the seller.

7. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Jul 17, 2018

Does Etsy offer buyer guarantees?

8. seekingseaquest Jul 17, 2018

I bought a very well priced manual wind Cartier (for the significant other) off Etsy. That one worked out, but it seems like a real mine field. As mentioned, the search and general navigation is not good.. so I find myself looking around rather infrequently.

9. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Jul 17, 2018

I had a very bad experience, and refuse to use it as a result. I bought a watch, and the Paypal payment was not immediately received by the seller. The seller then sold the watch (obviously at a higher price) to someone else, and cancelled the transaction.

Etsy, which like so many f*cking Internet-based companies these days, refuses to offer phone support, so I was forced to complain solely through email. After the first level rep failed to satisfy, the issue was escalated. Not only are sellers apparently allowed to cancel purchases for any reason, but:

a) the payment delay was on Etsy's end, not Paypal's

b) because the transaction required an exchange of dollars to Euros, I lost a meaningful sum even after a "full" refund

c) the higher-level reps failed to take any responsibility for my having lost money, and refused to issue a further refund

d) f*ck that short-sighted company

:D

Edited Jul 17, 2018
  10. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 18, 2018

I believe I purchased a strap from @panchoskywalker from Etsy before he joined the forum.

11. TexOmega Jul 18, 2018

I’ve many buys there over last 3-4 years, only one seller flaked out. Made whole via Etsy. No need to go to PayPal.

12. staristheanswer Jul 18, 2018

I had a shop on Etsy.
    The platform is very bad to my opinion for a seller.
    They think only on how to take your money like a seller.
    First they charge you 0.20 euro for every item for four months period than you have to repay if the items are not sold.
    Second they take 30% if an item is sold.
    Than you have to pay per click on advertising.
    I payed 0.22 euro per one click on an item.
    You have to be careful with that.
    You have to manually fix that to the amount you want to pay per click.
    I was talking with other sellers and they were putting it 0.02 euro per click.
    It is very complicated to work like a seller with Etsy.
    As I said above,they think only how to make money for themselves and if you
    pay you get first on the searching engine.
    Good luck with it.

13. Dan S Jul 18, 2018

Is this right, or a typo? I heard that sales fees were 5%.

14. watch3s Jul 18, 2018

they definitely take a cut

15. tikkathree Jul 18, 2018

I have bought a small number of craft items on Etsy, leather straps, skinning knives, probably some collectible ceramic items as SWMBO appeasers..
    I had considered testing it out as a selling platform but was never inspired so to do.

EDIT: yesterday I searched EBay for "Omega pocket watch", I've just run the same search in Etsy and seen a lot of the same listing photographs.

Edited Jul 18, 2018
  16. staristheanswer Jul 18, 2018

I never sold an item on Etsy but that is how much was the fee when I had to agree to the terms and services.

17. TDBK Jul 18, 2018

Here's the fee schedule: Fees for Selling on Etsy. $0.20 to list or to renew an expired listing, 5% when sold, 3% + $0.25 [US] or 4% + 0.30 € [Europe] for payment processing, and 2.5% for currency conversion if necessary. So for an item valuable enough that the fixed fees aren't material, it looks like 8% to 11.5% depending on seller location and currency exchange fees.

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 18, 2018

Tried to buy a hand made knife off there once, gave up, never had such a head f#ck trying to pay for something in my life. Felt sorry for the seller n the end.

Dan S likes this.
  19. Dan S Jul 18, 2018

This makes more sense, since they are presumably trying to undercut eBay.

20. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jul 18, 2018

I've bought a few things on Etsy and have been happy with every transaction, but never bought anything as expensive as a watch. I have bought a watchbox, a pocket watch holster and leather chain, and a leather valet tray.

The most interesting thing I bought was design services. I had the custom logos for my website designed by a person on Etsy, for a fraction of what a traditional design firm would charge.

tikkathree likes this.