Forums Latest Members
  1. Luck7496 Oct 13, 2017

Please forgive me if this is in the wrong place. Is it acceptable to ask for forum members' opinions on watches listed for sale on this forum? My sense is that it's safe to assume anything listed for sale here is trustworthy as far as authenticity (???), but what about price/condition/etc?

I've seen a few pieces here that seemed really nice to me but don't seem to be getting much interest, which makes me wonder what's not right about them.

Any input for a relative newb would be appreciated.

IDXM and mikechi22 like this.
  2. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 13, 2017

You wouldn't know about any interest since all communication between the seller and prospective buyers is via private messages.

Rodmar likes this.
  3. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Oct 13, 2017

In other words, its perfectly fine to solicit opinions from members. You can do this publicly (in a new thread, not on the FS ad), or privately via the PM facility of the forum.

Good luck with your hunt!

Luck7496, Euxinus and mikechi22 like this.
  4. panaitchrono Oct 13, 2017

To see the interest on a watch for sale on this forum I think you can see the number of times that thread was view.

5. watchme First Owner - Omega Darkside Oct 14, 2017

@Luck7496 IMHO, this forum is the safest place to get honest informations and nice pieces. Some watches sell quick ( in minutes after beeing posted) and others don't. It's a matter of taste.

regards

6. kkt Oct 14, 2017

And a certain amount of luck. How many people happen to be on the forum. Time zones. If it's tax refund time.

7. adi4 Oct 14, 2017

I wouldn't shy away from a watch that has sat unsold for a while here. Some sellers are picky about trustworthy buyers, some watches are a bit overpriced, or just unpopular models. In general, you'll find the prices listed here are usually pretty close to market value (and far below what dealers charge for worse condition watches).

Not everything is 100% accurate in every listing here, but in general fellow members call that stuff out pretty quick if that's the case. You'll soon find out who's an expert with particular brands/models and I would say it's no problem to contact any of them willing to respond.

Canuck likes this.
  8. ConElPueblo Oct 14, 2017

I've seen A few examples of misrepresented watches on here. Not necessarily posts where the seller has lied outright, but where the truth has been skirted around... My no. 1 rule for sales posts here is to look at the "likes". Not the quantity, but the quality of the ones who've liked an item ;)

BenBagbag, IDXM, patrick1616 and 4 others like this.
  9. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 14, 2017

It is considered bad form here to critique a Watch in its FS thread. There have been threads started to discuss watches posted here, PM are frequently used to discuss watches for sale and to point out issues with the seller postings. Experience level of the likes is important but so is doing your own research. In general this is the safest place to buy trade and sell but as said this is first and foremost an enthusiast community not a sales platform.

gemini4, jumpingsecond and cicindela like this.
  10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 14, 2017

I would not show up here, just to buy a watch. Nothing wrong with that, but I would advise to be a member for a while, get to know the community. See who's judgement you value, make some friends, learn about the watches. After that you may develop a better feel and confidence in your decisions. You will learn (we hope) . You will know who to go to for opinions and help. You will find a lot of nice people willing to help and perhaps some you don't care for so much but still have good information or have thoughts to ponder.

11. Ninja2789 Oct 14, 2017

You know, this is actually a pretty interesting question. As others have said, a good desirable watch just won't last past a couple hours. As a result, I'm not sure how much value you'd gain by asking on NEW FS postings.

However, maybe it makes sense to ask about OLD FS listings. Or even Ebay stuff you see. Use it as an opportunity to increase your knowledge so you can be prepared to pull the trigger when the right watch comes up.

Oh, and because I keep seeing this come up now and then, you DO NOT NEED 200 POSTS to PM a seller to buy. The 200 posting min is only to post a thread to sell or a WTB ad. Good luck!

IDXM likes this.
  12. IDXM Oct 14, 2017

Great question. As a relative newbie, I wonder why some watches sell quickly and other nice watches do not. I think what am I missing. I will say that experienced members do endorse “starter” watches at reasonable prices, which I highly appreciate.

13. Rodmar Oct 14, 2017

I don't know that time the watch has been listed is a great indicator. I had a piece sit unsold for quite awhile and then one day it was sold! Just have to find the right buyer and let's be honest. Omega makes quite a few different variations of pieces, so it's all about how niche of a piece you have that appeals to the right person. Mine took awhile to sell because it was waiting on the right person who wanted the design it offered.

14. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Oct 14, 2017

Last year, a Railmaster 2914-1, with extract,an ORIGINAL TRILOGY WATCH, sat around on the Watches For Sale forum, unsold for weeks before going to eBay. Go figure.

15. Luck7496 Oct 18, 2017

Thanks everyone for the replies. Very helpful and much appreciated.