Forums Latest Members

Ethics question. Trying watches that you know you wont buy

1. cvrle1 Aug 14, 2016

Question about ethics, one that is often discussed in motorcycling world. What are your thoughts on going into the store, talking to the salesman, trying on a watch or 2 that you are interested in, but you know that you wont buy it from them for sure. Reason for doing this is because you know that you can find same watch for a lot better price online, but you have no idea how the watch will fit you.

For motorcycling this goes back to the gear. people will go to the stores and try gear on, only to buy it online for cheaper. Some frown on this as you are wasting employees time Some say it is ok, as long as you give store a chance to come close to the online price, but in world of watches I dont think that will happen price matching wise.

So, yay or nay? Normal thing to do, or dont even think about it?

2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 14, 2016

I buy from the local shop, I want their support should I have trouble and I like to support the small business man.

That goes for watches and bike parts.

rhj, SpikiSpikester, Tubber and 2 others like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 14, 2016

OB's are showrooms. That being said I try not to waste their time.

4. cvrle1 Aug 14, 2016

I try as well, and do when I can (for bike parts, dont own Omega watch yet) but for us in Canada, it makes a big difference when I can buy same part or gear from US for as much as 40% less. I give local shop a chance to match price, and would pay a bit more due to their time and so on, but majority of times they cant get anywhere close to the price.

In regards to watches, prices here are higher than in US, even with crappy exchange rate. Throw in ebay and private sellers that sell 1-2 year old watch for even less, and it is a no brainer to look south.

Honest question from my end, at what point would you consider that you are wasting their time? Some people would argue (right or wrong) that as soon as you walk into that store knowing that you wont be buying anything, but are just going in to try a watch on so that you can buy it somewhere else, is waste of their time.

5. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Aug 14, 2016

You can't win all the battles you just do what you can, provide good service and hope for the best. Goes with any sales related industry.

6. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 14, 2016

That's what they're there for. For every 10 that don't buy one or two will inevitably fall for it. If they didn't want to display, showcase and try their models they would just sell online and have pictures

cvrle1 likes this.
  7. ONEWATCH Irony embodied Aug 14, 2016

The way I do it is an in between. I have the shop order it on line for me and slide him an extra $20.00 over what he charges. That way I win and keep him happy for the future.

Larry S likes this.
  8. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Aug 14, 2016

Yeah, I live near Toronto and it is a bit difficult when you can't wait for a sale or find the right piece to not look south.

And they get a much better selection a lot of the time!

Those darned Americans!

Oh well.... our beer is better.

cvrle1 likes this.
  9. gostang9 Aug 14, 2016

When I'm "window shopping" with no intention of buying, I do two things:
    1. I pay attention to how busy a store is. If they have other customers, I make sure I don't take away the store personnel time from those who may be there with intent of buying. Most of my casual browsing takes place in airport terminals and the personnel are normally free with no one else in sight. Often they are standing around just waiting for someone to talk to or show something to. When this is the case, I will often get into conversations with them giving them an opening to mention special discounts or pieces they may have available that they're trying to sell.
    2. I'm totally open and honest with them. I almost always tell them "I'm just looking, thank you". However, when they have no other customers to deal with, they're normally happy to open a display case and have you try on a few watches. I suspect there are definitely times where a casual browser tries on a piece and is persuaded to buy. After all, the job if a "sales" person is not just to show you pieces but to "sell" it to you. Someone who is effective at sales will read you very well and find compelling arguments to help push you to a sale when you may not have been planning on it.

If someone is considerate of the above points, I don't feel a casual browse is a waste of time at all. Some people buy only on price, and these people are likely to buy online or even used. However, for most used items that were originally sold via carefully controlled retail stores, there was someone who bought each piece new at some point I'm an OB or AD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited Aug 14, 2016
    Foo2rama and cvrle1 like this.
  10. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Aug 14, 2016

I have tried on many Omega watches at the OB. The Ploprof 1200, POti, SM300ti CM, skyfall, and many others. Many times after trying one one, weeks later they would see me come in with the one they had shown me (I bought used). Finally I had to say something, as it was a bit obvious and there response was that they are a show room. They continue to be professional and helpful. After almost a year of wearing 4+ watches they had shown (and I bought used) I finally bought from the OB. The CK2998 is awesome and frankly nobody there would have ever bet I'd buy from the OB.

11. nmttd2 Aug 14, 2016

Just don't do it when they are busy. Be honest and tell them you are just looking and not ready to buy at this time. Just don't waste their time when it matters.

12. ulackfocus Aug 14, 2016

There's no harm in asking if a store will match an established on-line dealer. The two new (serious) watches I've bought have been through AD's that gave me just as good a price as grey market. Granted, I buy a new modern watch once every 5 years whether I need one or not, but it's certainly possible to find brick & mortar shops who'll work with you.

Larry S likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Aug 14, 2016

gostang9 likes this.
  14. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF Aug 14, 2016

Most of the ADs here ask if they can help you when you first walk in. If you're not interested in purchasing from them then saying you're just looking seems fair. I usually get "Let me know if you'd like to look at anything". I don't see why it's an issue if they're not busy and you really want to see how a watch you're interested in would look on your wrist. Purchasing a watch from any source and finding out it's not a good match seems much more problematic.

15. cvrle1 Aug 14, 2016

I completely agree, and wouldnt expect otherwise, but coming form motorcycle community, no one thinks this way. People usually scoff at the notion of doing this (99% of times bike shop will be dead empty, but it is still a no no), so I wanted to see if this sort of a thing is a no go as well for watches, or if it is looked at as ok thing to do, as long as certain things are followed.

16. Canuck Aug 14, 2016

When someone buys from a discounter then takes the watch to the OB or the AD for a bracelet adjustment, then bitches when someone leaves a mark on the watch, I suggest they consider sending it back to the discounter for adjustment!

GuiltyBoomerang and Foo2rama like this.
  17. cvrle1 Aug 15, 2016

What if you buy a watch from private seller? Plenty of individual people that are not discounters sell used watches.

18. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 15, 2016

Really? ...back in the 70's maybe but not now. and let's not discuss whiskey.......::stirthepot::

Perseus likes this.
  19. cvrle1 Aug 15, 2016

Truth be told, American and Canadian beers are very last on my list of beers I would drink. They are the very last resort if there is absolutely nothing else beer wise to drink, but thats a whole different story :p

20. RegF Aug 15, 2016

Buyers come in all sorts of motivations to buy. A shop that discourages people from browsing is unlikely to get anything sold.

Some watch shops are staffed with enthusiasts. some are sales people, some are both

I see nothing wrong with engaging these folks in conversation, explaining my motives and letting them decide if they want to spend time on me.

A couple of said folks I've gotten to know quite well and actively drag out things that the store has just received that they know I'll never buy short of a lottery win, but will still enjoy looking at.

A few times this has resulted in price-matching deals, a couple of times its lead to unplanned impulse buys because the deal was so good.

It is their time in their shop and their choice to move on if you are just kicking tyres, or spend time if they think you are worth the effort.

As to beer, I wasn't aware that either America or Canada even made a liquid that could be called beer ::stirthepot::