Forums Latest Members
  1. Gordon Heavyfoot Apr 15, 2016

Hello all. Voracious reader of the forum, infrequent poster. Was just wanting to get some opinions on the ethicalness (-ality?) of approaching an Ebay seller to inquire about making a deal outside of Ebay. Does anyone do this with any regularity and if so are there any tips I should be made aware of? I've been a seller on Ebay for many years but I've really never explored this. As a seller I've had some quite horrendous scenarios transpire in which I've been straight-out scammed and Ebay has, in its infinite wisdom, sided with the buyer so I have no qualms about "stickin' it to the man". Obviously there are issues with buyer/seller protections while operating outside the auspices of Ebay but has anyone brokered a deal on Ebay behind the scenes to lower costs incurred by Ebay's 10 percent and is this considered "ethical" to do? Thanks.

2. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Apr 15, 2016

3. cimo Apr 15, 2016

Canceling auctions to accept a fee-free Buy it Now offer is against eBay terms of use and will result in a ban if you do it enough/get caught. Not worth it in my opinion.

Plus as a buyer it is very annoying when I watch an auction and plan to bid only for it to end prematurely.

nickw likes this.
  4. redpcar Apr 15, 2016

As a frequent buyer, it pisses me off to find sellers that consistently end auctions early due to an "error in the listing".

As a seller, I start everything at $.99 whether it is worth $1 or thousands. It's my form of gambling. I love it when I get a story from a buyer: "that was exactly my grandfathers watch that was lost, would you take a buy it now for $x?" :cautious:

I rarely come across a holy grail watch or parts that I can't live without or find elsewhere. However, when it does happen, I send the seller a note NOT to end the auction early for a "buy it now"...........without contacting me ;)

5. lillatroll Apr 16, 2016

I never really thought about the mechanics of ebay or how it makes money, I have contacted sellers asking if they would accept a certain price for a watch and end an auction early. Some are happy to do that others not. After reading the link added by spacefruit, when it was first posted, I think it is a bit like tax avoidance, something I don't agree with,so I would not do it again.

6. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Apr 16, 2016

Tax avoidance......I don`t know. Tax should profit our everyday lifes. roads, hospitals and all the other things, we expect. if I have a closer look, how much taxes Ebay and other BIG worldwide private\ listed companies pay worldwide, I rather call that Tax avoidance. for me ebay is a worldwide marketing platform. and I will act accordingly. and in the interest of the buyer, whatever that might be. kind regards. achim.

7. Davidt Apr 16, 2016

It massively pisses me off when an item I'm watching is ended early. I'm against it but, just like the 2998 last night, if it's a rare item, they often don't make it to the end and its a case of "join them or miss out".
    What's most important, your ethics or getting the item?
    Of course if it's just to try and swerve the 10% ebay fees, that's different and I wouldn't bother.

8. Uniqez Apr 16, 2016

I think the main point to do it within eBay is a buyer's protection. If you dropped it and do transaction outside, you're pretty much on your own. As a seller, if you got a scam buyer, a lot of things could go wrong.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

9. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Apr 16, 2016

as a seller, dealing outside ebay without protection for the buyer, what can go wrong? you have your money upfront. as a seller within the ebay system, you can have massive problems with a scam buyer. they could exchange your vintage dial for a re paint; change bridges in your movement and ebay has no expertise and will rarely be on the side of the seller. there is the real problem. the seller, who creates eBay's massive profits, is disadvantaged; not the buyer. kind regards. achim

Mark020 likes this.
  10. nickw Apr 16, 2016

In my eyes eBay only works well if everyone buyers and sellers commit to the system.

11. Uniqez Apr 16, 2016

I guess you're right . I've never thought about it this way.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

12. bazamu wincer, not a bidder Apr 16, 2016

Wait, there was a 2998 listed on eBay last night?!

Edit - found it

Edited Apr 16, 2016
    themattedial, Davidt and Spacefruit like this.
  13. Mark020 not the sharpest pencil in the ΩF drawer Apr 17, 2016

Ebay was ok as a seller. In the past. Nowadays it's extremely expensive and as stated above with a lot of risks for the seller.

14. dx009 Apr 17, 2016

Well, they kept increasing the fees... :thumbsdown:

15. redpcar Apr 17, 2016

..............but a buyers pool larger than any other for watches

16. dx009 Apr 17, 2016

True. But what about the seller ? :unsure:

17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 17, 2016

Bottom line is that while the eBay platform works really well for low value items (like PEZ dispensers...that's how it all started), it is not designed to compete with high end auction houses.

It's a lowest common denominator marketplace. Designed to favor the buyer at the expense of the seller. The seller gets some advantage as the fees are generally less than an auction house. The fact that buyers don't have additional fees over delivery is another advantage to the seller. So there is a bit of a balance there, although some sellers refuse to acknowledge it.

Some sellers try to use eBay as free advertising to draw in customers, then give them an offer outside of the system. We see this a lot with rare or high value items as there is a powerful incentive for both buyer and seller to do this. EBay knows about this and pretty much accepts it as a cost of doing business.

I recently purchased a watch through eBay on a Buy-it-now. After paying, I found out that this seller offers all their listings at a 10% discount off the eBay price on their own website. I got a large eBay bucks bonus for this purchase, so it was a wash for me.

This arrangement seems like a good compromise. Since the transaction worked well, I will continue to monitor this seller's website and put the 10% back in my pocket if I find anything else I like there in the future.
    gatorcpa

GregH and watchyouwant like this.