Forums Latest Members

Eterna-Matic Fast Beat 36,000 Seven Day?

1. xgeryx May 25, 2016

Hello Eterna-Matic fans!

Any thoughts on Fast Beats 36000 seven days?

Are they collectible or really not much of value compared to a KonTiki 20 for instance?

$_57.JPG
  2. Canuck May 25, 2016

U_G_L_Y_I_M_H_O!

3. omg smstr May 25, 2016

I saw one selling not long ago for under 200€, and if I remember correctly, seller had to lower his price few times.
    And I do agree, this is not something I would wear altough I'm into Eterna-Matic's watches :)

4. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 25, 2016

As Canuck really did not make an effort to answer your questions and instead told you his honest opinion I will pitch in here - as you are relatively new to OF.

Fast beat movements was a way to make the watches more accurate. At the same time the hi beat made serviceing intervals more important and using the correct lubricants at the right places even more important than on slower beat movements.

Eterna-matics have a cult following and/but is not one of the big brands. Value monetary wise is not high. Mixing up monetary value with collectabillity is a difficult thing. I believe any vintage hi beat day-date with a striking design is a collectable. The watch in the picture looks like an honest piece polish wise and that dial sparkles. Dial and crown seems to be original and I hope the bracelet is too. Cushion shaped cases are a binary thing - you either love them or hate them. I love them. Kon-tiki is a known part of Eternas brand and I guess they will always be more popular.

In short - If talking about the watch in the picture - I believe it is worth to collect. Price is up to you. Do you like its design - go for it.

Edited May 25, 2016
    micampe, Jonatan and xgeryx like this.
  5. xgeryx May 25, 2016

Thanks, actually I'm familiar with the fast beat term, that was one of my concerns.

The other is that I have a more rare KonTiki in the mix but its condition is not near this FB one.

Nevertheless the KonTiki20 is offered way cheaper. But the downside of it I also noticed not original case back and bracelet.

See photos below.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

As to others opinion on the design, we all have different taste. I personally love the design of watches from the 60-80s[emoji6]

6. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer May 25, 2016

The mantra "condition, condition, condition..." is the key to everything watches - in my opinion. It looks polished half to death and if it does not have the correct caseback, etc. I would walk away. Even if cheap. If you really want a Kon-Tiki over the other one - wait for a better example and use the time to gather funds. It will be a greater satisfaction owning it and a "cheaper" watch if you have to sell at a later point.

ahartfie and xgeryx like this.
  7. Hijak May 25, 2016

I like this, but I like c-cased and cushion cased watches, maybe not on that bracelet but on a nice textured black leather strap with some white stitching to sport it up (but that's just me).:thumbsup: As Styggy said above Condition is the key to watches and this one looks good. This is an interesting watch, with a cool dial and it has lots of potential! I'd want to see inside though, that's always a good idea. And I'd certainly take this over that beat up Kon-Tiki!!!

Just a suggestion but when buying watches buy what you like not what's "collectable"...you'll be happier in the long run.:) Personally don't consider myself a collector, just an appreciator of nice watches (and sometimes not so nice.;)) Good luck with your decision whatever you decide to do.:thumbsup:

ahartfie and xgeryx like this.
  8. xgeryx May 25, 2016

Thanks for all the advices guys. I'm better off sleep on it and get back to decision making tomorrow. One thing is sure I'll leave that KonTiki 20 for now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. xgeryx May 25, 2016

By the way Hijak, here's a photo of the movement. It's said to be recently serviced and the seller gives a 6 month warranty too. However I'm not sure if the rotor should look like that, not sure if that's dirt or rust.

[​IMG]

10. Hijak May 25, 2016

That looks rough and in need of a service...if you do decide to go with this I'd count on it needing a service from a qualified watchmaker!

Foo2rama and xgeryx like this.
  11. xgeryx May 25, 2016

Thanks, i had the same feeling. I might wait for one in better condition to pop up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hijak likes this.
  12. Canuck May 25, 2016

The OP asked for the thoughts of other posters. The only real question that I read was about the collectibility! Apparently, I was incorrect in expressing my opinion, and commenting on the collectibility in the fewest words possible! My opinion remains unchanged!

13. ulackfocus May 25, 2016

Eternal is one of the most under appreciated brands in the industry. They laid the groundwork for the modern automatic movement and still dominate as ETA.

Where's @Ray916MN when you need him? He really digs high beat watches from that era.