Forums Latest Members

ETA 2894-2 question to watchmakers.

1. afinewatch Nov 6, 2022

I have recently purchased a chronograph with this movement. The watch function is working good, the chronograph is running and all chrono registers working. The stop start button does not work. When watch stops the chrono hands can be reset to zero.
    So one watchmaker tells me that I need to get the whole new chrono module while another tells me that someone used some adhesive under the dial in the past and that lever which operates the start stop could be just stuck. He does not want to service the watch because the sub dials are mother of pearl and he is afraid he may damage them in process. Can you opine?
    Thanks in advance.

2. Canuck Nov 6, 2022

Take advantage of your warranty………if you got one. Adhesive tape behind the dial? No warranty. You are on your own, it appears!

3. Dan S Nov 6, 2022

Seems like there will be a lot of uncertainty until the watch is actually disassembled and the movement can be carefully inspected. You definitely need to be sure that any watchmaker who takes on this project has a current Omega parts account, and TBH, you might want to consider just sending it to the Swatch Group service center. If the watch has been tampered with, it might need a lot of parts replaced.

4. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 6, 2022

Not clear that this is an Omega, but the module can be serviced if you can find someone willing to do it. Whoever you take it to, make sure they have worked with MOP dials before, because they do require some special handling. The dial can be cracked very easily for example during hand removal (in particular on a chronograph where the hands are on very tightly).

The fact that adhesive has been used is not a good sign. The manufacturer may be your best bet...

Dan S likes this.
  5. afinewatch Nov 6, 2022

Only the sub dials are mother of pearl. Does the lever which operates the start stop sit under the dial?
    The only reason that I have seen before for use of some adhesive was dial feet being off. And only saw a double sided tape which is not very strong usually.

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 7, 2022

Yes, the chronograph functions are all in the module under the dial. If it is adhesive to fasten the dial, it could be as simple as dial dots - these actually hold on very well depending on how many are used. I have seen dials literally glued to movements before, so hopefully whatever has been done isn't too severe...

Can you show us a photo of the watch in questions please?

7. afinewatch Nov 7, 2022

Here is the watch pic. FredGntsAuto10.JPG FredGntsAuto3.JPG

Archer likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 7, 2022

Not a brand I am familiar with...

9. janice&fred Nov 7, 2022

But surely you get that warm fuzzy feeling with the name!

Seriously OP, FRED OF PARIS is the official company name and they are big jewelry retailers. Surely they have a service dept.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Nov 7, 2022

Yes, that's my brother in law's name, and he's a great guy...

Scarecrow Boat likes this.
  11. Canuck Nov 7, 2022

It might be a challenge to find anybody to work on this. Does anybody other than Omega/Breitling/or anybody else who has ever used that chronograph module, have access to a either a serviced module, or parts for the module? Mikrolisk shows a number of possibilities re: the firms that use the FRED name. Perhaps there is help there?

12. Deafcon Omega Qualified Nov 27, 2022

The 2894-2 requires a special holder for the module. There are three springs(technically 2, but one spring has two legs) that have to be unloaded with the tool for disassembly and reassembly. I don’t have many pictures from the last one I worked on. The arrow points to the stop/start lever. With the tools and training the 2894-2 isn’t too hard to work on.
    0EE3F540-E909-4362-B487-B7D3C9938FBF.jpeg

It’s simpler than the Dubois Depraz 2000 module that Omega uses. Below is a pictures of a 4500 module from a Breitling. It’s mostly the same as the 2000 with a big date:
    55D38853-AFF3-45E5-A500-C0F4CCA93BCB.jpeg

3E94D6E4-5397-4302-ACB9-F3687C502366.jpeg

13. afinewatch Nov 27, 2022

So the watchmaker who did not want to service the watch for fear of damaging the dial ( claiming it was glued )was able to start the chronograph.
    It is running and sub dials registering the elapsed time. Does this fact pinpoint the issue?