Forums Latest Members
  1. stock rolla May 11, 2016

Hi all,
    I was hoping you could help me identify what type model De Ville my dad currently has. I tired searching through the forum, but it looks like everyone else's De Ville looks slightly different. Most of the images I was able find online has the Seamaster and De Ville logos towards the bottom of the watch, but my Dad's watch is towards the top.

Here's what I know about the watch:
    -My dad bought the watch when he first immigrated to the states in 60/70s
    -Bands were definitely changed
    -Watch was probably never serviced
    -Currently is not running
    -Minute hand is no longer attached properly
    -The back case is etched with 9-3-82 and perhaps someones initials?

I'm looking to restore the watch and gifting it to my Dad. What can I expect the repair cost to be? Are the hands original hands? I've read that I should request not to have the case polished? Why is that?

I'm located in San Francisco Bay Area. Any recommended watchmakers in the area?

Any tips, advice, or cool facts about the watch would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

IMG_2359.jpg IMG_2360.jpg IMG_2361.jpg IMG_2735.JPG IMG_2740.JPG

Edited May 11, 2016
  2. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 11, 2016

Based on your pics you have a nice De Ville, most probably dating to the mid 1960s.

I think the dial is original, Omega had many variations of the Seamaster/De Ville around the time of transition to plain De Ville.
    The movement is a caliber 711, the thinnest automatic caliber ever produced by Omega.

First thing is to remove the flexi bracelet. The spring loaded end links can mark the inside of the lugs, not so much with stainless steel but badly with gold.

Polishing the case tends to soften or even remove the sharp facets and edges, especially on the lugs. It can also remove the gold plating and even gold cap if done by a ham fisted "restorer". It should just need a cleaning with mild water/detergent solution and a light polish with a jewellery cloth.

A good independent watchmaker in the SF area should be able to bring this watch back to life, from what I've seen of US prices, maybe $300 or so? Just don't send it to Omega, it would cost more than the watch is worth.

Maybe some US peeps can give you some pointers on a good watchmaker.

With a service, a clean and a nice tan leather strap your Dad will have a very nice watch.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 12, 2016

To restore this properly it could be quite expensive. If you look at the photo of the case back, there is evidence that that the rotor is rubbing on the inside of the case back, so the rotor pinion is worn. If this were a Cal. 55X then the pinion in the rotor could be replaced for a small amount, but the 711 does not have this part available. If this is still in a worn state, a new rotor alone would be $300. Usually if the pinion in the rotor is worn, other parts will be as well from someone wearing it without regular servicing.

No one is going to be able to give you an accurate price on the forum - best you can get is a ballpark that might be a home run, or a foul ball...

You need to take this is a watchmaker well versed in vintage Omegas, with access to parts, who can give you a price.

Cheers, Al

JimInOz, stock rolla and Willem023 like this.
  4. stock rolla Jun 21, 2016

I just got back from watchmaker. He quoted me $675 for the following services:
    -watch servicing
    -crown replacement
    -crystal replacement
    -automatic rotor/part replacement

Does anyone have any input on the cost of the service?

Thanks in advance!

5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Jun 22, 2016

Omega will happily charge you $750.00 or more.

6. Ravineman Jun 22, 2016

$ 675 is a fair price .... if the service is performed by an expert and he gives you a lengthy warantee

Larry S likes this.
  7. TNTwatch Jun 22, 2016

It's close to or even higher than the watch is worth in the end. You can always check out other places, this one for example:http://www.paulswatchandclockrepair.com/brochure/TRIFOLD_NEW-IN.jpg.

8. Ravineman Jun 22, 2016

This is true .... but if its your dad's watch and it's for your dad, it might be irrelevant. The servicing cost could also be less if you check around with local watchmakers,

marco and Lonestar like this.