Forums Latest Members

Estimate of the true value of this Omega Constellation 1969...168.029

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bulldozer Dec 31, 2017

Hi firstly I hope you have all had a good Christmas and that you all have a Great New Year. I wonder if you experts on vintage Omegas can give me a valid "real value" on this watch I own.
    It is an Omega Constellation from 1969 to 1970 its model 168.029 with its 1172 bracelet in really good original condition, it is keeping great time and I have looked after it in the time I have had it.
    I have owned it for just over two years and I bought it from a jeweller in Europe and it had just had a good service. No Box no paperwork but its Omega cal 751 runs like a champ and is at least the equal to my Seamaster with the Omega cal 1120 movement as they have kept equal time for the last 3 days I have tested them together.
    I have enclosed some pics of my watch and there is no damage to this 1969 watch on the case or the original dial, bracelet etc.
    I personally think that a watch of this age can not be in better shape. What do you guys think? thanks for your opinions in advance.
    It is running great and keeping good time as you would expect from a superb 751 movement.
    IMG_1793.JPG IMG_1787.JPG IMG_1790.JPG

2. fjf Dec 31, 2017

BenBagbag and X350 XJR like this.
  3. Bulldozer Dec 31, 2017

I asked permission from the mods to ask this question about what you guys think is the value of this item. Ebay is not a true reflection of the value of any watch or anything as one day junk can be bought by a fool or an inexperienced buyer for too much money,while decent stuff does not get a bid. This is why I pose the question about my watch.Thanks again for any input

Edited Dec 31, 2017
  4. ac106 Dec 31, 2017

::facepalm1::

BenBagbag likes this.
  5. BenBagbag Dec 31, 2017

Please point me towards the decent stuff that gets left behind!

There is a bit of absurdity to what you are saying. You have many data points to analyze. It's a common reference. Maybe make a BIN ebay listing with what you think it's worth, share it here, and maybe someone will buy it. Or maybe someone will post it in the "watches with unrealistic price expectation" thread...

ac106 likes this.
  6. Bulldozer Dec 31, 2017

I do not know why I am recieving negative comments over a simple question? I asked a simple question about what you guys thought that this item may be worth if you are not 100 percent sure (like me) then thats ok its no problem but ebay is not any guide as photos and descriptions can be misleading and many times rubbish gets sold at an over inflated price on Ebay and decent stuff sometimes gets passed over even at a reasonable price.
    I have used this to my advantage in the past bought and sold stuff on Ebay since it started and mainly 1950s Italian art glass in the early years since the mid 1990s when shipping internationally was still feasible and I know what I say to be true.

So all I wish to know is what a vintage Omega expert thinks that a 1969 Omega Constellation model 168.029 in Stainless steel with its Omega SS 1172 bracelet in very good condition with a clean working movement is worth in todays market? Thanks for any help in this area.

7. Davidt Dec 31, 2017

Around £650-800

flame and Bulldozer like this.
  8. Bulldozer Dec 31, 2017

Thank-you... that seems fair enough.

9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Dec 31, 2017

Better pictures would help. Turn off the flash, and take pics of the dial, caseback and lugs. And photos of inner side of caseback and of movement are also important, as all you have are the retailer's word about the service.

Bulldozer likes this.
  10. Bulldozer Dec 31, 2017

No Flash, thats Sunshine here in the Algarve Portugal, lol The watch keeps great time to less than a second a day fast over the last 2.5 years so the movement is clearly clean as the Jeweller that serviced it claimed and I have been more than happy with it and I have looked after it so NO concerns there.

I have my answer anyway from an experienced Forum user as to the watches value and it is what I guessed it was but I needed clarification. It is one of the cleanest original watches in its class that anyone will ever find but it wears a little small for me.
    Thanks for your input.

11. BenBagbag Dec 31, 2017

This whole thread reminds me of three words: Buy the seller.

Oh yeah, and one more: Hyperbole

By the way: Many here will tell you that just because a watch is keeping good time doesn't mean it is "clean."

ac106 and time flies like this.
  12. Bulldozer Dec 31, 2017

I do not or am not trying to exaggerate anything that I have said about my watch and I am not trying to sell my watch to you guys on here anyway.
    I saw pics of the movement in my watch when I bought the watch and it is clean like the seller said and it is performing well above its spec..
    I wish I could find dirty rusty movements in watches that would keep almost flawless time like in my watch, there again so would anyone lol.
    I valued it at the lower end at 650 GBP myself but just asked for some backup advice from a real Omega Vintage expert as I have seen similar watches in average shape compared to mine go for more than that figure.
    I am no watch expert, I just buy what I like the look of in watches, if they please me on the wrist then that will do me.
    Anyway thanks for your input and I hope you have a great New Year.

13. BenBagbag Dec 31, 2017

All sass aside, you will have an easier time selling your watch (and can get more money for it) if you have a picture of this movement. Dime a dozen people saying a watch was just serviced and it wasn't. Not that I don't believe you but the market may not. Be well.

Fost, ac106, Davidt and 2 others like this.
  14. Buck2466 Dec 31, 2017

Just did a quick search on Ebay of completed sold listings of this model and here is what I found. Low price sold was $430 and high was $765. There were several others that sold for a best offer that I'm sure was substantially lower than the original asking prices, but they don't let you see that anymore.

ConElPueblo and Bulldozer like this.
  15. Bulldozer Dec 31, 2017

Yes I too have looked at this too but what complicates it all are the re dials and poor examples that seem to come from Japan. I am happy that my watch is worth a minimum of 650 GBP and I will not take a penny less in a trade or sale to a dealer in the New year , otherwise I will simply keep it a while longer.

16. w154 Dec 31, 2017

Try using watchcount.com and search using the item reference number.

Buck2466 likes this.
  17. Buck2466 Dec 31, 2017

Thanks for the heads up!

18. Davidt Dec 31, 2017

I wouldn't hold your breath for 650 in a sale/trade to a dealer (unless they're making a big mark up on the watch you're buying). The figures I quoted were an estimate for a private sale, assuming you have proof of service. Just my opinion.

Bulldozer likes this.
  19. Bulldozer Dec 31, 2017

Time will tell, 650GBP is the minimum I would entertain for a straight trade if the dealer had something that I liked. I will hold onto the watch otherwise as it is really worth more than that being one of if not the the best examples that you could find of a C type Constellation and I am not desperate to give it away . Thanks for your help.

20. w154 Dec 31, 2017

I think he has as it's just been listed on eBay. If he won't take a penny less than 650 it's odd to start it at 630 which is going to be circa 550 after fees if there's only one bidder.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clean-an...775106?hash=item3f905a46c2:g:1gEAAOSwI8laQNqpPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

" I have it listed well below its real value... " ::facepalm2::

BenBagbag likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.