Forums Latest Members

Establish rapport with AD or stick to GM and/or luck?

1. JPE.88305 Jun 21, 2018

Grey market is great for variety and price but was wanting to give the local AD a shot...partly because it's convenient/nice having a local person 4 miles away, but partly in the hopes that I will benefit from future purchases, particularly when it comes to limited editions and other brands (eg. Rolex--wanting to add an explorer I and a sub to my collection at some point).

What are peoples' preferences on AD relationships vs just "finding the best price" and keeping fingers crossed?

I want it to work, I'm willing to pay a little more up front for the relationship, but twice now I've been disappointed.

Well before the '57 Trilogy came out I made a request on the Seamaster, only to be told "there's no way I'd get one"... "very few are coming to the US"...."our rep can't get one" etc.... So I called the next closest AD (2 hrs away, Omega only, they don't sell any other brands) and inquired... not only did they deliver, I paid 20% off MSRP.

Now I'm wanting to purchase a classic speedy 1861 for my father as a gift...I realize the competitive price many collectors on here offer, though in the hopes of feeding the local guy I made the request through him...he offered for 4500 + tax...I countered with 4 and said I'd pick up next day with cash...no response for 3 days now.

I understand there are lots of ADs and I can find better prices through them and GM , I just like the idea of going into a place and trying one on and the AD knowing I'm not some tire kicker, I'm going to make the purchase, and I will make more in the future, and if there's a relationship that matures into better prices on at least semi regular purchases (for a collector, not a speculator), I'm willing to pay a little more up front...but 4500 + tax (which brings it close to 5) is not good enough IMO.

As I finish writing this the choice to walk/tell him to shove off is fairly obvious, and I suppose I will continue to utilize the AD that got me the seamaster [a relationship I guess I've already started] and just lurk Rolex boutiques in Vegas when I'm ready to make that plunge...it's just frustrating things didn't work out locally. First world problems, I suppose, but still interested in others' thoughts on a good AD relationship.

2. JPE.88305 Jun 21, 2018

other posts on the value or asininity of "AD relationships" are noted...I just find it interesting that for some brands (ie. Omega) there is implicit price negotiation (likely relationship dependent to an extent), whereas if you are in the market for a Rolex, there is implicit wait-listing and little room to "negotiate" (if they can sell at full MSRP to the next guy in line, why would they discount to you). Supply and demand changes, but I don't see Rolex ramping up production, or Omega slowing it down...

3. ulackfocus Jun 21, 2018

There are lots of angles to this. Maybe that local AD isn't a great store, and a relationship won't benefit you at all. Within 12 minutes of my house are several watch / jewelry stores, but I'll still drive a half hour or more (depending on traffic) to get to one particular dealer because they have great service, and always work with me on price (as in VERY close to grey market if possible).

I bought one watch that cost over $1000 via grey market and doubt I'll ever do it again. Yeah, I bought both my Seikos (Pepsi, Orange Monster) from internet dealers, but that's for sub-$200 beaters and doesn't mean much.

JPE.88305 likes this.
  4. Dan S Jun 21, 2018

Buying a gift for someone is one of the scenarios where I would seriously consider buying from an AD. It will be nice for them to have the fully signed warrantee card from a local shop.

Edited Jun 21, 2018
    JPE.88305 likes this.
  5. larryganz The cable guy Jun 21, 2018

Agreed, I bought my son’s Speedmaster X-33 Skywalker for his high school graduation from the OB, and the battery died one month outside of the warranty, and the authorized dealer went ahead and shipped it to OMEGA for a battery service at no charge.

If I bring them my watch from another dealer, they charge me 90 bucks for shipping every time I send it to OMEGA. And my son knows that they will take care of him for the for seeable future.

His Skywalker would have cost $6400 after tax at the OB, but they took a 2 year old SMPc chronograph and $2700 for the X-33, including tax, and shipped it to me 70 miles away for free.

JPE.88305 likes this.
  6. rainking Jun 21, 2018

Admittedly I haven't bought nearly as many multi-thousand-dollar watches as a lot of you guys. I can see the appeal in some ways to going the OB/AD route. That said, I will never understand buying from an AD or OB IF the watch I want is available new from a reputable seller and comes with a legit stamped warranty card. I've bought two such Omegas this year and I have zero complaints. I'd at least consider buying from an AD/OB if the price difference was a couple hundred bucks, but $1,000 or more? Yeah, never. But I also understand it depends on the watch. A Speedy Pro for $4,500 plus tax? Let's say you live somewhere where tax is 6 percent. You'll pay $4,770 for that watch, a full $1,270 more than it can be had for, all day long, via reputable sellers around these parts. I can't fathom that sort of math and unnecessary spending. Sheesh, even without a warranty card, if the off chance occurs and the watch needs to be fixed, It's what, $750 for a full service from Omega? That would leave you with an extra $520 in your pocket versus what you would pay that AD.

As for starting to buy from AD/OB just for potential access to limited editions later on, how many watches do you have to buy before you are on their preferred client list and guaranteed access to those watches? I honestly don't know so I'm curious what others have to say. But man, so many of these ADs/OBs I go into, they seem like utter clowns. Like the one who told you no way you'd get a Seamaster Trilogy LE. Those things weren't hard to come by at all, and you asked long before they even came out? That's a joke. I've seen one or two in L.A. boutiques within the past two months, still available for purchase. So I'd never go back to that shop you mentioned again.

Finally, if you have to buy three or four watches (I don't know that you do) before you get special-client access to LEs, you'll have spent so much more than you would have buying from other reputable gray market sellers that it makes no sense (in terms of Omega, that is). You could use the savings from buying gray to pay for that rare Omega LE that comes out and immediately appreciates by a couple thousand dollars.

ac106 and JPE.88305 like this.
  7. JPE.88305 Jun 21, 2018

Correct, in terms of Omega...rolex is a different story.

And yes, money is money, and ultimately I agree...though I'm willing to spend a few hundred more in the hopes it will prompt access to LEs over the upcoming years (eg. whatever is planned for the Apollo XI 50th anniversary next year)...Place I purchased from had a silver snoopy allocated to them, which I could have purchased had I known they had it, but not knowing the AD at that time, it didn't happen...someone came in and purchased it right after they received it.

8. Bushido Jun 21, 2018

I'm lucky enough to have watches from several different brands and I've shopped at OBs, ADs, and with online sales. I have a great relationship with my Omega AD and have purchased multiple watches from them. My reason for loyalty is that they provide exceptional customer service, reliability, and honesty. In short, they earned my business. If there is an Omega I am looking at buying, I will give them first opportunity to come close on price. If the difference is reasonable, I'm okay going a bit above online prices as I know what I'm getting and I can trust them to help if there is an issue.

I've also stopped by stores for different brands where I thought their service and/or the experience sucked. In those instances, I simply walk out and do not go back. There are plenty of places whom would be happy to do business and provide good honest customer care. Seek them out, be it online or brick and mortar.

Linzer and JPE.88305 like this.
  9. rainking Jun 21, 2018

That's why I made the point that I was just talking Omega. And like I said, for a few hundred dollar difference, I might very well buy from an OB/AD. But no way for more than that, and it usually seems like the difference between them and GM is $1,000-plus.

JPE.88305 likes this.
  10. rainking Jun 21, 2018

I guess everyone's definition of "close on price" varies. $500 or preferably less difference, I might do the same. Otherwise, no. But that's just me. Likewise, I understand your comment about customer service, reliability, and honesty." But for me, once I get a watch, I just wear the thing. I don't spend a second worrying about it failing, and if it does, I know I can get it fixed one way or another, without having to set foot into an OB/AD. (Maybe my attitude is influenced by the fact the West Coast Swatch Service Center is literally a 10-minute drive from my house.) I don't hang out in watch stores just gabbing with the staff nearly enough for it to matter to me (not saying you do) that they know me, and watches just aren't something I expect to have such issues with that I might need an advocate for sometime down the road. Again, not saying you said this, but I've seen people in here talk about things like that as part of the experience they like to get by purchasing from official stores. Personally, I'm not that kind of customer when it comes to watches. I totally understand people who feel the opposite way, though.

11. Kiltie Jun 21, 2018

I've purchased three times from the OB.
    No wiggle room for the price, with the exception of being offered, I think, 5 per cent on an 8500 mvmt after everything had well gone into Master Coaxial. $4500 vs about 3K for an SMPc is a heck of a lot of money, but the choice wasn't really that hard.
    The experience, cumulatively, over time, more than evens out the cost, to me.
    You get invites to the events, which end up being little get togethers as much as anything. Guys - always guys - bring in their collections to show off, brag, ogle, and so on. The fellow who takes care of me always texts when something remarkable comes into the store, even though he knows I can't afford them or I'm not in a watch buying cycle. This has given me a chance to try on a couple of watches in the 100K range, which is neat. I also got to handle the first Trilogy watches that landed in town, the first Commander, RM non-LE, and a host of other things.
    When I buy, it is implicit there will be some perk, typically. $1500 worth of perk? No way, but just having a watch clubhouse is worth it.
    That's what it comes to, I guess: $100 a month watch club. Ultra friendly, accommodating, and comfortable. It has been pointed out to me that at least that particular store runs on repeat business. They're intent on nurturing good relationships. PLUS, I go to other OB's - I've been to Houston most recently, but Vegas, too - and the first words, after pleasantries, are usually: "Would you like us to look at your watch?" Check the specs, clean it, buff out the minor nicks... That was real handy, out of town, with my bezel full of sand.
    It helps, too, that my guy is a HUGE nerd and REALLY knows his stuff, not just about Omega, but everything. Watches truly are his passion, both academically and aesthetically. There's a super solid in house tech, as well.
    Woman/Drinking Partner has also purchased three watches through the OB, and feels similarly.
    Then there's the whole warranty thing... IMG_1690.jpg

12. jud Jun 21, 2018

I have yet to find an Omega AD that I can work with, the closest is 2.5 hours away from me so it is just easier to purchase on line. I do have a great relationship with my Rolex AD that is 1 mile from my house. I have a great salesman and the owner knows me as well. I have purchased two Rolex watches from them at 25% off. Not every watch I purchased from them has been a great deal, but they work with me when they can.

Like @Kiltie said, I have a place to go and discuss watches from many brands with other people who enjoy watches and I stop in regularly. I am saving for the new Daytona and when I have the money, I know that they will take care of me. Not because I am a big spender, but because they know I am purchasing it for me and I will enjoy it. A big part of the relationship is just that, get to know them and they will understand your passion for watches.