Forums Latest Members
  1. Peturbed Jan 31, 2018

Hi all
    I read that these entry-level Geneve's are not held in very high esteem.
    Anyhow, I found this from a private person for $120 a week ago. I put a nice strap on it, and I quite like it. It's simple, and I don't think it was used much. A few dings here and there, but the dial looks nice with just the odd spot here and there. Bit of corrosion on the hands but minor.
    I have not serviced it but it seems to run ok and keep time. Watchmakers here in this part of South Africa are pretty useless for anything other than changing batteries, sadly.
    It all looks totally original, to me. What do you think? And are they pretty much held in low esteem as the bottom feeders of the watch world?

unnamed.jpg
    Spruce, peatnick and alam like this.
  2. Dr No Jan 31, 2018

Looks fine to me. And a bargain, too.

Art

Spruce, Peturbed, alam and 1 other person like this.
  3. fjf Jan 31, 2018

...But you should send it to be cleaned and oiled, if you want it to last...

Peturbed likes this.
  4. Peturbed Jan 31, 2018

Thanks for the good advice, I need to find someone who knows what they are doing. It's quite amazing that in a City of 3,5 million people, there are no real watchmakers; they are almost all battery changers; those that purportedly fix mechanical watches seem to have no equipment when I go and investigate - no ultrasonic baths - the one guy said he cleaned the movement with a petroleum-based solution and then re-oiled it. They use silicon instead of a rubber seal. Just awful. I will probably need to find someone decent in another city. I dread my mechanical watches breaking down. I have a 7750 based chronograph that's been sitting in a drawer for almost two years because I don't trust anyone enough to fix it.

5. jimmyd13 Jan 31, 2018

I like many Geneves. While they may have been the "entry level" line, it doesn't detract from the quality of the watch. Their real problem is lack of perceived value which, at least in part, is driven by the fact that they're not a Speed/Sea/Railmaster. I have a 1972 example in 18K gold that is just an absolute beauty.

As for finding a reliable, competent and diligent watchmaker who will pay the right amount of attention to a vintage watch ... they can be unicorns. Try getting in touch with your Horological institutions for a list of accredited watchmakers then call or visit them. Even if the ones you get in touch with aren't right for your needs, they may well point you in the direction of someone else. I have a number I use, dependent on the watch in question, and will happily travel 4 hours to get to the right one.

Peturbed likes this.
  6. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Jan 31, 2018

I have three Geneves, all a little different, all from the early 1970's and all looking good and keeping perfect time.

As @jimmyd13 says, above, despite having the same movements as the more prized Seamasters and others, the only real difference I’ve been able to discern, as a comparative newbie, is the name on the front and the design on the back case. No doubt I’ll be set straight but I think they’re quality movements in excellent cases.

Peturbed likes this.
  7. ClarendonVintage Jan 31, 2018

The old Geneves with the classic script are lovely!

8. dan7800 Jan 31, 2018

Nothing wrong with a Geneve at all.

That one looks great!

Peturbed likes this.
  9. Peturbed Jan 31, 2018

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply

10. Peturbed Jan 31, 2018

Yes, having seen some of the less fancy and less substantial SS Seamasters with thin lugs and bezels, I’d be hard pressed to find substantial differences apart from the name on the dial and the attractive logo on the back. But I’m no expert on the finer details I must confess.