Forums Latest Members
  1. timecube May 20, 2021

Hi all, again!

[ Returning from self-imposed exile (soft-selfban) due to (circa 11mo ago) repeatedly posting incorrect and potentially hazardous comments about watch radiation safety. (will try not to repeat) I've forgotten all the OF rules by now and am probably breaking multiple of them already. Please report me or ban me or advise me to (re)read the stickies, as needed. :p ]

What brings me back now - a delightfully dismal article on how watch collecting hastens the Heat Death of the Universe:
    https://www.livescience.com/accurate-clocks-produce-more-entropy.html
    It seems that any attempt to build more accurate timekeeping devices generates entropy and chaos, and the only real way to avoid that is to build less accurate timekeepers or simply stop keeping time. I suppose this means if you prefer order to chaos, mechanical watches really are better than quartz after all.

Foo2rama, rhetoric and ghce like this.
  2. flw history nerd May 20, 2021

The title of this thread sounds like one of those old middle school science filmstrips we used to have to watch.

(Note that I'm really dating myself here ... my phone autocorrect doesn't recognize the word "filmstrips", and neither do half the members on ΩF.) :unsure:

Stewart A and DaveK like this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 20, 2021

I just chuckle every time I see your avatar pic.

I remember Time Cube. Is that guy even still alive?

4. MRC May 20, 2021

Wikipedia: Otis Eugene Ray died on March 18, 2015, at age 87

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 20, 2021

A few people on Apollo 13 may have an issue with you arguing against accurate timekeeping :D

I like the soccer method... "Yeah, my watch says it's been 45 minutes but I am randomly going to blow my whistle at any point in the next 12 minutes to end the half"