Forums Latest Members

Enola Gay Flight Worn Watch by Paul Tibbets - WWII Museum in NOLA

1. redpcar Aug 24, 2018

I finally got the chance to run through the museum today (more of a trot). Had a few hours after meetings and before flight departure. Stumbled across this "Flight Worn" watch by Paul Tibbets on his Hiroshima bombing Aug 6, 1945. Donated by a family member, presumably. Not what I expected. Maybe he had multiple watches on his arm? The lighting was so poor in the room, that I could not even tell what it was before I was able to capture a pic. It looks more like a mid '50s Roamer. Super Shock? hmmm. You decide.

Roamer.jpg

roamer2.jpg

Darlinboy, gostang9 and michael22 like this.
  2. gostang9 Aug 25, 2018

Much better photograph than I was able to get!

It would be interesting to have a video feed of the watch geeks that notice this small part of the exhibit. I imagine many walk by and ignore or miss it altogether. It’s such a powerful museum to walk through and seeing this was an interesting side note for me.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 25, 2018

Sadly It looks like someone had it redialed.

4. river rat Aug 25, 2018

The other day I watched that old movie (Above and Beyond) about Col. Paul Tibbetts if you like old movies it was not bad it was made in 1952 but I am a sucker for old movies. Then I see this post after watching that movie. The B-29 was a good size bomber when I went with my Dad to go see Mount. Rushmore we stopped at a air force base to spend the night if your retired from the service you get a better price for a place to spend the night on base that at a civilian motel. Well there was a museum on that base it had a B-29 bomber I learned another story about my Dad he said after WW2 the US Navy got a few B-29 bombers they used them for weather aircraft he was a flight engineer on one he showed me how the crew got into the aircraft on the front landing gear was a ladder and a hatch to get into it. He is gone now and I bet a lot of things about his military career I will never know.

Edited Aug 25, 2018