Forums Latest Members
  1. aesguerra Feb 25, 2017

I'm not bashing ol' Wally or ANY Omega out there! I'm just wondering if I got the odd-defect that escaped inspection.

I prefer to wear my watches a little loose. The problem with my watch is if I do, the engraving along the edge of the caseback scratches my skin raw. So I've been cinching it up tight (using the last hole on the strap - damn Asian wrists!!! :p ), which eliminates any watch-on-wrist motion.

I really confirmed this fact by polishing the caseback with a microfiber towel. Sure enough, the lettering and the Omega symbol snag at the cloth quite readily and occasionally take little bits of fiber from it.

Again, since I know the solution, it isn't so much of an issue (I just hate seeing a deep circle on my skin at the end of the day, and aren't too thrilled about under-watch-perspiration either). Still, as my last Speedy had a similar engravement set up, I'm left with that lingering defect-question. Anyone else have this issue with their Omega? Only asking because if it's the norm, I have even less a reason to complain.

Alex

Edited Feb 26, 2017
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Feb 25, 2017

When you say Wally, you mean FOIS?

Unfortunately, I've only tried those on at a. Boutique, so not long enough to say...

aesguerra likes this.
  3. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Feb 25, 2017

I place some silly putty between the case back and wrist. This keeps the watch was sliding around, prevents any indentation on my wrist, and I have a large supply of cool medallions with an embossed Omega symbol. :thumbsup:

Nitzbar, Jwit and aesguerra like this.
  4. Bushido Feb 25, 2017

I have not experienced this with any of my Omegas. Further, I do not recollect any areas snagging on the microfiber cloth while cleaning. What about trying out a nice NATO strap? Should raise the case a touch off your skin, they're comfortable, and you can go back to a looser fit.

Edit* Changed "tighter" to "looser"

Edited Feb 25, 2017
    aesguerra and zinzan8 like this.
  5. zinzan8 Feb 25, 2017

OP prefers looser fit, but agree that NATO is an option to avoid chafing. And also, no rough edges on the caseback of my Speedmaster CK2998.

Not sure about the silly putty idea, but guess it would work, as would getting caseback pads from Hirsch or OFREI.

aesguerra and Bushido like this.
  6. Bushido Feb 25, 2017

Thanks for the correction. I had meant looser fit and edited to reflect.

7. aesguerra Feb 26, 2017

Thanks to everyone for the replies. I so wish I could pull off a NATO - it just doesn't work for my weird eye (of course, necessity may have me try it again).

As for silly putty, that's an interesting notion. Also not to sure about it, although I'm not dismissing it out of hand.

Side note. Using my wear-it-tighter method has allowed my FOIS to brand me as it's own! I can clearly see the Omega symbol embossed on my skin!!! I feel like a high-priced cattle! :D

Alex
    San Mateo, CA

IMG_2915.JPG
    Jwit, Bushido and watchme like this.
  8. aesguerra Feb 26, 2017

Yes sir. That particular one.

9. Brandon_Dexter Feb 26, 2017

I know this will be a horror story to some but I kept the case back sticker on my fois. It covers just the middle part of the case back.

I do wear mine exclusively on a nato of some type so I have no issues.

10. aesguerra Feb 26, 2017

Actually... I've been considering that as well. :thumbsup:

11. marcn Enough space to say witty Feb 27, 2017

Glad you started this thread. I also wear my (speedy pro) fairly loose and noticed during it's first 10-days or so that I'd developed a bit of a sore patch of skin, right over the ulna bump.

Very different case back to your FOIS, and my current assumption is that the textual engraving on mine (and not the hippocampus figure) is the culprit. In fact when I ran a q-tip over the text I can hear fibers catching, though it's not enough to actually pull them out, though the q-tip did fray out a fair bit.

No more sore for me, so that's good, and I'm personally going to just continue to wear mine as I've been doing, and let my skin burnish away what I'm guessing are very tiny engraving burrs that were left.

I wonder with yours if it's also the text engraving?

One thing you could consider (notice I said "you", this isn't something I'm going to try! ;) ) is applying infinitesimal dabs of clear nail polish into the engravings. Just enough, ideally, to level them off to the letter edge. Somewhere I bet @Archer is slamming his head against his keyboard. :)

I think in the end, for both of us, it's going to be about wearing it enough until it goes away. Changing to a Nato or applying case back pads means you'd have to keep that up indefinitely.

12. adi4 Feb 27, 2017

Maybe a Nato or perlon strap might actually be the solution here if you don't want to apply anything to the caseback. Usually people see them as a problem, with those straps potentially wearing down casebacks over time and with lots of movement. In this case, it might actually wear down sharp edges on the engravings if worn over a long enough period of time. Personally I've never had any of my perlons or Nato's cause any wear on my casebacks though, since I wear them a little tighter in general.

13. aesguerra Feb 27, 2017

LMAO! Oh no you don't! I'M not letting Wally play the sacrificial guinea pig!!! :p

I'm personally eyeing the caseback pads as a last resort. Until then, I'm taking your approach and playing human sandpaper for those possible burrs. ;)

PS - Yes, it's the engraving that's the issue.

Edited Feb 27, 2017
    Bushido and marcn like this.
  14. Bushido Feb 27, 2017

Look at them as scars demonstrating your dedication and devotion! You can look down on all other fan boys and girls and state "I let my FOIS wound me. Thank you sir! May I have another?"

aesguerra likes this.
  15. aesguerra Feb 27, 2017

Funny enough, I haven't said a word to my wife about the rubbing-raw situation. Her view is for that money, it'd better be PERFECT. How does one convey to a spouse the HONOR of an Omega watch "wounding it's owner"? :p

Deafboy and Jwit like this.
  16. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Feb 27, 2017

Jwit likes this.
  17. aesguerra Feb 27, 2017

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 27, 2017

19. aesguerra Feb 27, 2017

20. ctpete Feb 27, 2017

Personally, I'm with your wife on this one.

aesguerra likes this.