Forums Latest Members

Engraving on watch caseback

1. zebion Jan 1, 2019

Dear all,
    Happy New Year to all of you!
    I am interested in buying a watch in near mint condition.
    Since the pre-owner received this watch from his employer, there is an engravement on the caseback. It is only a logo not a personal engravement with name/date.
    What would you think about this? What would you believe is a realistic price reduction for this?
    Thanks

2. VintageWatchIta Jan 1, 2019

Hi, first of all it depends about which watch are we talking about.
    Usually it doesn't affect so much, especially because, in most of cases, it is so easy to find a replacement caseback. ;)

Millenary Watches likes this.
  3. zebion Jan 1, 2019

an IWC Chrono, the caseback has the serial number on it and it is a full set

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jan 1, 2019

i wouldn’t worry that much, adds a story. $100 ? wouldn’t be trying to knock a heap off

5. 104RS Jan 1, 2019

Mind sharing some pictures? A very deep and sketchy DIY engraving would bother me way more than a smaller engraving done by a professional.

Foo2rama and zebion like this.
  6. Dan S Jan 1, 2019

On an old watch, a personal message beautifully engraved adds a story to counteract the loss of value from personalization. But a corporate logo on a modern watch is just a negative pure and simple. It would be a turn-off for me, and should hurt the value IMO.

zebion likes this.
  7. zebion Jan 1, 2019

Willl ask the seller whether he accepts that I share a pic

8. Millenary Watches Jan 1, 2019

An engraving on modern watches in particular generally hurts the value. It obviously depends on what watch it is and the engraving, but I'd say it would have to be compensated by making the watch a hundred dollars+ cheaper.

9. 104RS Jan 1, 2019

Just blur out the serial no. when posting the pictures.

10. zebion Jan 1, 2019

Could not get the seller, yet. The logo looks like a simple upside-down "U", only the outline of the U is engraved, thickness of the letter similar to the IWC letters, same as the size, which is close to the central IWC letters on the case back.