Forums Latest Members
  1. Gb2cv Mar 15, 2018

I see many gold watches on sale that have an engraving on the case - 25, 40 years service and so on with company name, labelled as a presentation watch.
    My question is: Do you consider these a valuable point of interest in the history of the watch or more of an annoyance? Subquestion: If an annoyance would you consider getting engraving removed?

2. 77deluxe Mar 15, 2018

They don’t bother me as you can’t see them when wearing a watch. I don’t view them as an advantage or a problem. All things constant, I suppose I’d rather have a clean case back. But I would not remove one.

Gb2cv likes this.
  3. Mathlar Mar 15, 2018

Removal would require some fairly intensive polishing, something which I assume most of us would dislike more than an engraving.

mouse and Gb2cv like this.
  4. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Mar 15, 2018

I certainly prefer to purchase without inscriptions, infact thinking about it I've not yet owned one with. However if I did purchase a watch with the case back engraved, I would not be bothered about removing it.

5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 15, 2018

I think they are interesting. It is a terrible idea to try to buff them out because that really destroys value. Some have led to great back stories and provenance that actually increase the value.

staristheanswer likes this.
  6. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Mar 15, 2018

Depending on other case back markings, a skilled goldsmith would be able to fill the engraving and you would never know it had been there

Personally, unless it was significant, I wouldn’t buy one with an engraving.

7. Vitezi Mar 15, 2018

8. Seaman Jun 2, 2018

Don't bother me at all..I don't know if this increase or lower the value but I assume that the answer of this question is : Depends..who own it and who engraved it, history etc.