Forums Latest Members
  1. felsby I don't see any option in settings or profile Aug 28, 2018

How much less would you pay for a vintage watch with an engraved caseback (In the style of "To Aloysius from Wilhelmina 26-02-1958") compared to an untouched watch?

II frequently see these watches on eBay and I am not sure about buyer's opinion in general.

2. ext1 Aug 28, 2018

Well, I think it depends on the watch. Sometimes it fits the character, sometimes not so much. Sometimes it even adds historical value.
    In any case they can be laser removed, so I don't really mind engravings.

felsby likes this.
  3. Speedmasterfan88 Aug 28, 2018

Depends on the style and craftsmanship that‘s gone into the engraving. Fine Hand engravings in an interesting font, especially on gold watches, can add to the overall esthetics of a vintage watch in my opinion.
    If it adds value is debatable.

Machine engravings like the usual „for 25 years XY company to John Doe“ hurt the value in my opinion.

From personal experience, the engraved watches I sold took longer to sell and went under marked value.

Cheers,

Max

Edit: If we talk about a rare reference with a rare caseback, that will set you back a fair amount of money to find a replacement for, I.e: Speedmasters for example, it detracts from the value in my opinion.

felsby and ConElPueblo like this.
  4. pascs Aug 28, 2018

My 105.012-66 has a "Sil Love Forever Lee 12-25-68" engraved on the back, the script is small and nicely done. Although the watch was sold in 1967, to me the engraving doesnt detract from its value, I think to have received a Speedmaster as a Christmas present is a fantastic gift to have given someone............ it does make me wonder about the original owner if they are still with us 50 years later

felsby likes this.
  5. maxbelg Aug 28, 2018

I don't know about monetary value, but for me this engraving on my 145.012 has emotional value. It turned out that the first owner was married 40 days prior to the moon landing and had the date engraved on the case back but also on the bracelet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edward53, felsby and BlueBoy like this.
  6. nixf6 Aug 28, 2018

It's part of the patina.It highlights it's history.

maxbelg likes this.