English Man in Miami

With thanks in advance
I’m visiting Miami this weekend for the F1 with 3 other friends.
Staying down in the South Beach area. Apartment place has sent a local guide to the area but does anyone have recommendations for the area even the city centre to visit and try out for a drink or something to eat. Distances shouldn’t be a problem with UBER or similar.

Like 1
For Mediterranean food check out Zaytinya.

For fancy Italian food check out Fiola. (it's in Coral Gables)

Gotta get some Cuban food — Versailles in Coral Cables is my favorite when I visit. Not fancy, but great food and lots of locals.

Like 4
Wo ho, you’re an alien.

...."I'm a Legal Alien"....

.... and the US authorities like to rub it in...
I had to fill out special "Alien" Federal and State tax forms, had an "Alien" FCC R/T license but strangely my FAA pilot's license was the same as for regular citizens.
Sorry Jonathan, closest I got to Miami was Disney World, gotta do it once.

Try Gianni’s on south beach. Former Versace mansion.unique experience and lunch menu good value.

Like 1
Gotta get some Cuban food — Versailles in Coral Cables is my favorite when I visit. Not fancy, but great food and lots of locals.
Versailles must be a chain. We used to go to one in Encino. In fact, I think my ex-wife and I had our rehearsal dinner there.

Versailles must be a chain. We used to go to one in Encino. In fact, I think my ex-wife and I had our rehearsal dinner there.

The one in Miami is the original. I didn’t even realize they had opened other restaurants in the LA area until you said this.

Like 1
Versailles is on 8th street. You can also try la carreta. Cuban food as well.

Like 2
Yeah be sure to get some Cuban food. It’ll kill you if you eat too much, but worth it a few times. Bistec Empinizado, Frijoles Negros y Maduros. Lots of places throughout Miami, pero try to get to an out of the way spot and not a tourist joint. Others have made good recommendations and I’d add the design district and wynwood for decent walking spots, in addition to the beach, coconut grove and coral gables. Weather has been good and not too hot but will be warmer soon.

Like 2
For restaurants, head to Coconut Grove. Many choices. For Thai, try Atchana’s. Burgers and fries, Lokal. High-end, Michelin Star, spare no expense? Ariete. And I haven’t even mentioned places with waterfront dining and bars. All depends what you want.

Since this is a watch forum, you can find most of the brand boutiques at the Miami Design District. There’s a pretty good food hall there, the restaurants change often. Michael’s Genuine is also very good.

For disclosure’s sake, I avoid South Beach like the plague, unless I’m going to an event at the Convention Center or Fillmore. Parking costs a bloody mint and I’m not keen on fighting the tourists for a seat at overpriced restaurants there.

Be aware, Hard Rock Stadium is a very long way from South Beach (about 20 miles) and is in the middle of a food desert. The venue is nice enough but there is nothing to walk to outside the grounds, except a WalMart.

Have a great time in Miami.
gatorcpa

Like 2
… except a WalMart…

As a foreigner some of the best times I’ve had in the US have been in Walmarts, we don’t have anything quite like that here, I stuffed an entire suitcase full of $3 t-shirts with bald eagles carrying American flags and firearms, don’t tread on me shirts, Uncle Sam stuff, a punisher skull with a Stars and Stripes bandana, everyone back home loved the stuff I brought them.

The sheer quantity of discount Americana you can get for peanuts in Walmart is just amazing and it goes on forever, we just don’t have stores anywhere near that size down under. I was genuinely smiling the entire time at the novelty of that much stuff going that cheap!

How cool is this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/All-Amer...hic-Tee-Tops-Mom-Life-Casual-Shirt/2330100439

IMG_2764.jpeg

Like 2
Go to a Buc ees and the jerky wall/ bar. Truly unbelievable.

Like 1
As a foreigner some of the best times I’ve had in the US have been in Walmarts, we don’t have anything quite like that here, I stuffed an entire suitcase full of $3 t-shirts with bald eagles carrying American flags and firearms, don’t tread on me shirts, Uncle Sam stuff, a punisher skull with a Stars and Stripes bandana, everyone back home loved the stuff I brought them.

The sheer quantity of discount Americana you can get for peanuts in Walmart is just amazing and it goes on forever, we just don’t have stores anywhere near that size down under. I was genuinely smiling the entire time at the novelty of that much stuff going that cheap!

How cool is this:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/All-Amer...hic-Tee-Tops-Mom-Life-Casual-Shirt/2330100439

IMG_2764.jpeg
Haha this is pretty accurate.

Thank you, will have a look now. Appreciate that.

Go to a Buc ees and the jerky wall/ bar. Truly unbelievable.
We don’t have that here in Miami. Gotta go a few hundred miles north to Daytona Beach. A whole different kind of racing there.

As a foreigner some of the best times I’ve had in the US have been in Walmarts, we don’t have anything quite like that here
This is true, but unless you like a fast-food chain place, there are no restaurants at WalMart, just pre-made salads and a deli.

Regarding shopping as a tourist, one of my big regrets in life was not buying the Aussie flag shorts I found at Target in Cairns. I did stock up on Lindt chocolate bars there on sale for A$2 each.
gatorcpa

Just seen all the other posts, thanks to everyone I’ve got loads to check up.
Much appreciated.

We don’t have that here in Miami. Gotta go a few hundred miles north to Daytona Beach. A whole different kind of racing there.

This is true, but unless you like a fast-food chain place, there are no restaurants at WalMart, just pre-made salads and a deli.

Regarding shopping as a tourist, one of my big regrets in life was not buying the Aussie flag shorts I found at Target in Cairns. I did stock up on Lindt chocolate bars there on sale for A$2 each.
gatorcpa
Next time I’m on your side of the pacific I’ll definitely bring some of our national treasures

IMG_2765.jpeg