Forums Latest Members

Engagement rings ? (Junk or real ?)

1. ac106 Jun 19, 2019

This is the worst advice you could possibly give. The diamond industry is a complete racket based on blood money from Africa and artificial scarcity by deBeers.

Going to a jeweler and paying full retail for a “new” diamond is maybe the stupidest thing a man could do when getting engaged. There are tons of other options out there preowned diamonds, vintage rings.

The best advice I can give is to research heavily and make sure you know who you’re buying from and what you’re getting and for gods sake don’t go to the mall

Observer, Archer and Steve88M3 like this.
  2. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 19, 2019

Pffffft! Buying an engagement ring has little or nothing to do with good sense, it’s all about making the girl say yes.

Big shiny and new are all important factors here.

A lot of my friends would say getting engaged is the stupidest thing a man could do... but that and the politics of the diamond industry are not what this is about.

And yes, I completely agree with your statement about how filthy the diamond industry is.

3. Evitzee Jun 19, 2019

You can choose any kind of stone you want, but let's face it, this is the fiancee's gig. And most women want the sparkly diamond. Always sit down and ask what her ideas are and go from there. Maybe she has other ideas other than a diamond, but most want a diamond. Do not try to lead her into what YOU want, let her set the pace, you are there to control the amount spent and to give some input if you like a particular design or not.

And what's this nonsense that the purpose of the ring is to get the woman to say 'yes'? That's BS and the definition of a gold digger, and doesn't say much about the guy either. You don't take her to a store with the idea that 'if I get her a big enough, expensive rock she'll say yes', if that's the kind of girl you have BAIL OUT NOW. You go shopping after you have proposed, it is one of the first business decisions you'll do as a couple.

Edited Jun 19, 2019
    mayankyadav likes this.
  4. Canuck Jun 19, 2019

Diamonds, blood money? By 2008, Canada was the third biggest producer of diamonds in the world?

5. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 19, 2019

Australia are a big producer too. Another failed rogue state.

6. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jun 19, 2019

I would rather spend money on craftsmanship than over-hyped gems.

I commissioned a handmade sterling silver ring with a custom design, which I collaborated with the artist to make. Less than $300 total, including shipping. It was the thought that counted. Making and designing a ring just for her... she really liked that.

When we made our wedding rings, we used the same small artisan. Sterling silver rings we each designed. She - a wolf howling around mountains. And me - mountains, trees, an ocean, and a boat. We put small, affordable stones in them. Cost with custom designs with several rough drafts... maybe $600 for both.

Spent time - thought, and care... those mean a lot. Expensive, arbitrary materials are not necessary.

29749874_10215628211718359_5757654538283596231_o.jpg
  7. mayankyadav Jun 20, 2019

Dude.. your engagement, your wife to be, your money so must be your choice too. I personally would never fall for that "will last for generations to come " bs if its not a smart choice thats not resulting in a financial loss. If you have lots of spare money (that you are otherwise not able to spend) and dont care, then go buy the largest, shiniest and the best diamond that the money can buy, otoh if you are like most of us then make a smart financial move.
    A wife needs to be understanding and supportive of the decisions that you make and shouldnt be the one who whines about the size of the diamond that you bought for her and if she belongs to the later category, it wasnt probably the best idea to marry her IMO and sorry if that offends anybody here.

dabbispade likes this.
  8. dabbispade Jun 20, 2019

Thanks, know what you mean but smart finance move ? - if I see a watch I like being smart about money will come to me few days after the buy :D

9. Observer I know nothing! Jun 20, 2019

I’d advise anyone to consider estate jewelry sellers, as well as antique cut diamonds like the mine cut. Trust me when I tell you that she won’t want to hear comments from other women about a generic look of a ring.

Davidt likes this.
  10. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 20, 2019

Will she prefer a comment about how that old relic looks like it was cut from someone’s grandmother’s dead finger? Just a counterpoint!

Observer likes this.
  11. Observer I know nothing! Jun 20, 2019

Good point. All the more reason to talk to her about what she likes.

padders likes this.
  12. padders Oooo subtitles! Jun 21, 2019

I was just being facetious, I agree an antique piece can be a good solution.