Forums Latest Members

Engagement rings ? (Junk or real ?)

1. dabbispade Jun 18, 2019

ok so it’s time to buy an engagement ring for, hopefully the wife to be.

I am planning to buy also a wedding ring that will be much more expensive and I was looking at some around 800-1200 usd at the locals jewelers but then after a short browse on eBay I feel like they are going there similar rings for about 200 usd.

Please correct me if am wrong here but are these not some decent rings ?

And PLEASE comment all you can on this - I hope I only need to buy engagement ring ones :)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-3-Carat-...010127&hash=item521cb85e54:g:DJwAAOSw5Ilc4rPZPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Ct-Diamo...hash=item2135ec819b:m:m1w8ycOHPYfNsbVeysrm6TwPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Ct-Round...hash=item214244d351:m:m8vV3F9CXRe8rn8clEW8eSAPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Solitaire-...222075&hash=item2cc9be61be:g:CDUAAOSwy0JaCZPQPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

2. shishy www.hpmor.com Jun 18, 2019

you want strangers on the internet to tell you what's a good ring to give to your future wife ::popcorn:::thumbsup:

ext1, albertob, queriver and 6 others like this.
  3. dabbispade Jun 18, 2019

No just getting opinions on if it’s the totally wrong thing to buy a ring online - it’s like buying a watch for similar cash, changes are they are at a way better prince online.

4. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 18, 2019

I’ve likely used better quality diamonds as cutters in the tool room. I like the term “enhanced” in the one ad.

They’re SHIT!

Go and spend too much money on a real rock from a respected jeweller. Hold it in your hand, if it doesn’t glitter and amaze move on.

You’re trying too impress the girl and get her to marry you, this is not the time to be frugal and buy crap unseen off flea bay

Edward53, MikiJ, queriver and 9 others like this.
  5. Evitzee Jun 18, 2019

Is this a joke .... those rings have fake diamonds, do you really want to present your future wife with a fake diamond ring?

Pony up and get her a decent diamond ring, you don't have to go to the malls, there are independent diamond sellers on the net. Blue Nile is very reputable and their diamonds come with GIA certs. A good diamond has a market value, you get what you pay for.

Most women want to select the type of setting and shape of diamond that best fits their finger and image. Then you can work on getting the best diamond that fits your budget.

www.bluenile.com

MikiJ and Als 27 like this.
  6. Dan S Jun 18, 2019

There is a very good discussion forum for diamonds called pricescope.com.

At one point I was looking at buying some diamond jewelry for my wife and I learned a lot there. Ultimately, I purchased from idjewelry.com, by contacting them directly and asking for exactly what I wanted: cut quality, color, clarity, weight, etc.

ext1, Als 27, Toishome and 1 other person like this.
  7. dabbispade Jun 18, 2019

That’s what I was looking for - thanks will look at it and also contact idjewelry

8. Steve Essex Jun 18, 2019

Total tat on that eBay site. The price should we alarm bells ringing. Take her out and let her choose.

Als 27 and STANDY like this.
  9. Davidt Jun 18, 2019

Those diamonds aren't fake at all, they're real but of a medium-low quality that has subsequently been worked on to improve their clarity.

The high street prices of diamonds is absurd (ever tried selling one?!) and you can easily get high quality stones at much less than those sold by the main brands. But, quality still costs.

10. Fritz genuflects before the mighty quartzophobe Jun 18, 2019

Buy her one of those and you will never get it again.

Ever.

11. Evitzee Jun 18, 2019

Just do your research and decide what is important (the 4C's) and work within your budget. Whatever diamond you get be sure it has a proper grading certificate, in the US the gold standard is GIA, but AGS is considered good, too. But there are a lot of poor quality grading labs that aren't worth the paper they are printed on. But the dealer will price the diamond based on the certificate so insist on a good lab, if they don't have a proper grading certificate, walk. This gets more important as the diamond gets bigger and a better quality.

WYO_Watch, dabbispade and Dan S like this.
  12. rcs914 Jun 18, 2019

So you spend the money on the engagement ring - the wedding ring itself is usually much simpler and costs maybe a grand. In all honesty? Make sure to involve her in the ring purchase, and if you don't, buy it from somewhere that takes returns. You say "hopefully the wife to be" - having been there popping the question twice, it wasn't without long discussion before hand where I KNEW the answer before the question was asked. Turns out the first engagement failed - but the ring was still returnable because of where I got it. Second engagement and subsequent marriage has been much better. But you need to go ring shopping together to get an idea of what she likes at the very least.

This may not be a popular suggestion, and it has no romanticism, but Costco is an excellent place to buy an engagement ring without getting ripped off.

dabbispade likes this.
  13. Evitzee Jun 18, 2019

Yeah, there are various places that sell good diamonds. Have no idea what kind of pricing Costco has but worth checking out. I remember back in the day places like Sears and JC Penney used to have extensive jewelry operations in their stores. And when at Costco stop by for a $1.50 hot dog and drink on the way out. Always good to save money any way you can.

dabbispade and rcs914 like this.
  14. dabbispade Jun 18, 2019

Thanks guys some really nice pointers here and I clearly need to take this in a new directions - I appreciate the comments.

15. Canuck Jun 18, 2019

Reminds me of the time when I was managing a jewellery store in a prominent location. A girl came into the store and asked for an opinion on a “diamond” ring she had been given just a short time previously. I took one look, and told her it wasn’t a diamond, and that the setting was silver, not platinum! She as devastated! These are what we called “week end specials”!

Cubic Zirconia, moissanite, man made diamonds, hot goods, grossly exaggerated claims for diamonds that are little better than industrial grade. This is the kind of stuff you are looking at when you buy the kind of stuff you linked to. An answer we used to use in retail was, “what are oats worth once they bin through the horse?” Some folks have recommended outlets for diamonds sold on line. You are likely safer there, but don’t expect the products they sell to come as cheap as the ones you are interested in. And always take certificates with a grain of salt, until you can have the stone checked out by someone knowledgeable.

dabbispade likes this.
  16. Canuck Jun 18, 2019

17. WYO_Watch Jun 18, 2019

Couldn’t agree with this advice more. A certification does not make it a better stone, but it makes it a more honest one. I’d still want to see a stone sparkle in person before making a purchase, but at least with a certification you don’t have to “take the jewelers word for it.”

Lots of good basic resources on the 4 C’s and I recommend calibrating those to get the best stone for your price range. I personally looked for an excellent cut and took a lessor color grade and a slightly lessor clarity grade (SI2 I believe, but only had one “visible” inclusion that is covered by a prong).

18. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jun 18, 2019

I flew to Amsterdam and Mrs STANDY and I looked at all the high class diamond shops.

Ended up buying a antique ring in Den Hauge that blew the misses away and saved me the airfares for trip in savings. :thumbsup: ( all by giving her the choice ]
    The ring we bought would cost 5x new
    image.jpeg

19. Steve88M3 Jun 18, 2019

Bro, get whatever you want, but don't tell anyone you got it on eBay.

Especially your wife.

KingCrouchy, Als 27 and Taddyangle like this.
  20. stogie530 Jun 18, 2019

When it came to buying an engagement ring, I went to bluenile's website picked out a near perfect diamond ring for $8400usd. Didn't work out with the misses, broke up 2 years later. Was fortunate to get the ring back, you'll never see that money again. Ring sat in a safe in my vault for 2 years before I found an Omega AD who also sold diamonds, took it there and traded it in on a new Seamaster 300 Master Co - Axial. So at least I got something out of it. On a side note, the first engagement ring I bought her was $900, and took it back before getting the other ring. I showed her a photo of it after I proposed and she actually liked the cheaper ring, Here's the advise I give my nephews, buy a cheaper engagement ring and if she's still around for your 20th anniversary, then get her a $20k ring, $1000 for every year you been married up till then.