Forums Latest Members
  1. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 23, 2012

Antiquorum and Omega strikes again!

http://data.antiquorum.com/eng/flip/2012_Jun_NY/#/134/zoomed

http://data.antiquorum.com/eng/flip/2012_Jun_NY/#/135/zoomed

Some years ago, Douglas Gravina, a major Omega collector from Brazil, asked about a similar photograph of the King from his Army days. You can see the old TZ thread, along with close-ups of Elvis' watch here:

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=msg&th=1000601&rid=6214#msg_3461571

Looks like Elvis was wearing a Seamaster Calendar as opposed to a Constellation in the pictures in both places. The AQ photos show a watch with straight, thick lugs, similar to late 1950's Seamasters, rather than the pointed lugs of the Constellation from the same period. Both watches have black dials, which would have been unusual for that time.

I believe that is it highly probable that Elvis owned both watches and made the gift to his friend as described in the Antiquorum catalog. He also may have worn both during his stint in the Army, as described. But I don't think the watch being auctioned is the same watch as the one in the catalog photos.

Seems like a little OmegaMania still exists at AQ,
    gatorcpa

2. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 23, 2012

I think AQ also had a letter attesting to the piece's provenance which would carry much more weight than the photo. At the end of the day, auction houses get away with this because they claim all their descriptions are merely opinions and they can't be held responsible for any incorrect statements. This has always made me wonder what the heck I am paying for with the buyer's premium of 20-25% if they cannon be relied on to provide an accurate description of the items for sale.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 23, 2012

Honestly this thing looks so much better than the King Midas he was wearing later in life, JLC movement not withstanding it was a waste of good gold.

4. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member May 23, 2012

As an aside, why do Christies and AQ have to use these stupid Adobe Flash interfaces when I all I want to do is view pictures and text? Can't they just upload a .pdf along with some high res jpegs?

5. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 23, 2012

That's how their IT departments justify their jobs?

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 23, 2012

Agreed. However, is the auction estimate based on the assumption that Elvis actually wore the watch or merely owned it?

The caption to the picture specifically says "Elvis Presley wearing the present lot", which is just not true.

Take care,
    gatorcpa

7. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member May 23, 2012

Agreed picture is misleading but AQ has so many misleading descriptions it is really caveat emptor (bigger sin for this lot though since 95% of the value of the watch is the elvis provenance). I think at the estimate provided, it is more ownership than regular use. If it was a daily wearer for elvis and this can be authenticated then the value would be 5-10x more I would think (kind of like the Buddy Holly piece).

8. seamonster Respectable Member May 23, 2012

Respectable Member MSNWatch

In this modern world of today, all the big boys can get away with most things they do wrong.

The laws are there, only to protect the big and ugly.

Thank-you.

9. Kyle Stults Jun 5, 2012

Hi all
    Very interesting discussion here. I recently started digging in to the provenance of this watch and I am not convinced merely on the word of a letter from Charlie Hodge. Also interestingly this watch was sold at auctio by Heritage Auction just 6 months ago. I am now very skeptical of high profile celebrity items like this that go to auction as a result of my investigation into a Patek Philippe that was purportedly linked to the late billionaire Howard Hughes -- turns out the whole story of provenance was bogus, but Christies sold the watch any way for $254,000 (the whole pathetic saga is also documented in full on my blog Perpetuelle).

You guys take care and if you have anything else interesting on this watch let me know! I think that the power and wisdom of we the humble watch enthusiast crowd is extremely important on matters like this.

Kyle Stults
    @Perpetuelle
    My article and questions about the Elvis Omega, here:
    http://blog.perpetuelle.com/special-reports/elvis-presleys-omega-constellation-up-for-auction/

Trev and dsio like this.
  10. seamonster Respectable Member Jun 5, 2012

Respectable Member Kyle Stults

Indeed, it is interesting to note that you even managed to discover the winding-crown is not original to the watch. I agree, for such a reputable auction-house, not to have picked this up, is rather disappointing.

It is always easy to say a certain watch or vintage item had at one time belonged to a celebrity, who had passed. It is a matter of just one simple document, from a living close friend or mate, to testify a claim. With one such claim made in writing, there is a lot of money to be made.

This is a great lesson for us to learn. Whatever claim made by a dealer or any establishment, reputable or not, should be researched further. Some of the oversights can cause cause lots of headache, after the purchase.

Your informed knowledge about this subject is appreciated.

Thank-you for sharing.

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 13, 2012

Watch just sold guys, $52,500, that's nearly 5 times the lower estimate...

All I can say... WOW... and a gold-cap constellation at that...

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 13, 2012

That's maybe $1,000 for the watch and $50,000+ for the letter. And I'm being generous on the watch, since the lugs have very heavy wear through.

That's an awful lot of money for a piece of paper that doesn't have Elvis' signature on it. I certainly hope that everything is kosher with the paperwork.

I just have no way to know for sure,
    gatorcpa