Forums Latest Members

elp - Mortima/Cattin66 Shock Spring

1. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 28, 2015

I just posted this on WRT and thought I'd try here as well.

I'm servicing a little Mortima diver driven by a Cattin C66. Not a Patek, but a nice little beater with a "Kalashnikov" movement.

Everything was going fine, it had been stripped, cleaned and ready to re-assemble.

I'd just oiled the plate balance jewel and replaced the cap and went to pick up the shock spring.

My brass tweezers were just a stretch too far to reach from where I was using my microscope, so like an idiot, I picked up the nearest set of tweezers (SS ones!).

I looked down and picked up the tiny cap spring, and just as I was about to move it to the movement I felt that sensation we all dread. [​IMG]

The "snick" feeling as the tweezer tips pinged the spring into the ether.

I was like a rabbit in the headlights, not daring to move and straining my hearing for the sound of a landing (a futile effort with my "ex-military" hearing).

I searched high and low from a frozen position, scanning the bench but nothing there. I gently started looking at my lap, shirt front, even got a mirror and checked my face/eyebrows/hair.

Nothing.

A magnet sweep of the whole area turned up two forgotten screws, but no spring.

So, the point of this post. I need a new shock spring or a donor movement and I'm hoping somebody may have one in their parts box.

This is the movement as shown on Roland Ranfft's encyclopedic site

http://www.ranfft.de...uswk&Cattin_C66

I've included a pic below of the balance jewel spring from the other side, shown next to a Seiko spring for size comparison. As you can see it's a tiny little bugger and not your usual item that could be replaced by a common BestFit spare.

If anyone can help, please reply or PM me with price and availability.

Cheers

Jim

Still003.png

2. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 28, 2015

Good luck with that one - the quickest way would be to buy a spare movement likely. The chances of finding this part as a spare is going to be pretty slim...

3. ChrisN Jul 29, 2015

Bad luck there Jim. Surprisingly, Cousins list a whole host of parts for this movement but no shock spring. There's also a service manual/parts list for download but it just lists the Cattin number (380 as I remember).

Do you know the name of that system? Am not sure it would help but...

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Jul 31, 2015

Woo Hoo! ::psy::

Look what I found (no, not the original, but just as good).

After looking through my junkyard I came across a Cattin C66 in an old thing I got in a box buy.

I know it's only an old pin lever but just getting it working again gives me a sense of job satisfaction.

CattinShockSpring.JPG

It sure pays to keep all of those old clunkers and basket cases :D

JunkYard.JPG

5. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 31, 2015

I was almost going to say @dougiedude knows a bloke that could rig up a paperclip that would do the job. :whistling:

TDBK and Archer like this.
  6. M.D. Jul 31, 2015

Congrats Jim! Glad this has a happy ending.

7. redpcar Jul 31, 2015

Box-O-Watches saves the day.
    I'm glad you found something to help because I was dreading going through my boxes.
    I hate that tweezer "DOINK".
    My last resort before scouring the scrapyard is a KILLER magnet from a commercial hard drive. This bad boy can pull parts from the floor 2 feet in the air. Downside is sheer strength of the field and it has to be put in a special place. ;)

wsfarrell likes this.
  8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jul 31, 2015

Yes those "bag-o-watches" you buy for $5 can certainly come in handy. I use them often for sourcing parts, in particular screws for watches that always come in missing one or two for whatever reason...

Cheers, Al

9. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jul 31, 2015

Nice one Jim.

Removal and fitting inside a plastic bag, I presume, this time?

janice&fred likes this.