Forums Latest Auctions Members
  1. Uscjake87

Uscjake87 Nov 16, 2018

Prices of these watches seem to widely vary. Some sold listings on ebay show $500 to $800. I don't know how much these cost to service, so what would be the ideal price to buy a non-runner and not be upside down in this watch after service?

2. lillatroll

lillatroll Nov 16, 2018

Don t buy a non runner. It might be something that is a simple fix or something that is impossible to fix. Why bother taking a risk? You can buy plenty if good examples for reasonable money.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. MRC

MRC Nov 16, 2018

They cost about that fleabay value to service if they go to Bienne. If servicing a watch with personal history find an independent watchmaker. Mine, owned from new, went to Bienne, but I did not know then what I know now.

To return to the question: ideal price? $1.00 When it comes back from servicing it will be worth about 75% of what you have invested in getting it running again. They are not floating on the same tide as PN Daytonas. OTOH, if you are buying to wear because you like it not because of possible future profits I would say go right ahead. For 10% of the price of a new Omega you have something very interesting on your wrist, even if it carries little pub-cred DAMHIK :(

connieseamaster and Uscjake87 like this.
  4. Uscjake87

Uscjake87 Nov 16, 2018

I like the history, but it sounds like a roll of the dice. Thanks for the info.

5. MRC

MRC Nov 16, 2018

Exactly. Roll those dice.

If you want to wear it put your money down. If you want to bet on making a profit many possibly better horses are lined up for the starting gate. (I live close to Newmarket, hear a number of "sure-fire" tips, and still do not bet on horses...)

6. redpcar

redpcar Nov 16, 2018

I have 3. All hum but don't advance :(

watchyouwant likes this.
  7. Uscjake87

Uscjake87 Nov 16, 2018

Yikes. The one I am looking at makes no comment of the movement working. Dial and case look good. Perhaps it is lipstick on a pig to pawn off a bad beta 21 in a nice looking case. I will roll the dice on something else.

8. JackDaniels83

JackDaniels83 Nov 17, 2018

The Beta 21 movements are rather robust, but the electronics and date wheels are prone to failures. There are after market electronics for 150€ including a 12 month warranty and date wheels made from steel for 100€. I do have most of the other parts. In case just give me a message.

9. redpcar

redpcar Nov 17, 2018

So, if mine hum, it is a simple fix? Tell me how.

10. Uscjake87

Uscjake87 Nov 17, 2018

My watchmaker says a hum is good but it could be a variety of different issues. No hum = dont buy it.

11. JackDaniels83

JackDaniels83 Nov 17, 2018

If it hums, the electronics and coils are good. Index fingers and/or index wheel may be damaged. Or the movement just needs a service.

connieseamaster likes this.
  12. redpcar

redpcar Nov 17, 2018

$adly, the $ervice is $ignificantly more than the watche$ are worth :(

13. Bill Sohne

Bill Sohne Bill @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 17, 2018

Hi Guys

In my opinion Beta 21 is a significant movement... and the Omega version is my favorite.... ..... its not the rarest version... but I think they are good looking... and that is why i have bought them over the years.....

Best

bill

watchyouwant and Uscjake87 like this.
  14. watchyouwant

watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Nov 20, 2018

just bought 2 more...... amazing techical achivement with that incredible index wheel.....still cheap. and the 70`s case shapes are coming next. kind regards. achim