Forums Latest Members

El Primero Movement Updgrade 3019 to 400

1. andi4eyes Jan 13, 2016

Hi everyone,

I posted my new to me a385 in another thread already: El Primero-day.

My watch got, during a service at Zenith many years ago, a caliber 400 movement instead of the original 3019. Doing some research I found more watches with that happening during a service. My questions for you would be: was/is that standard procedure at Zenith or is that only reserved for badly damaged movements? What else could be the reason to swap out an entire (and probably costly) movement? To my knowledge only certain parts were updated from the 3019 to the 400.

Thank you,
    Andi

ELV web likes this.
  2. danomar Jan 13, 2016

There are better experts here than I, but my recollection is that it was common practice unless the owner specifically asked otherwise. One finds the same thing with many manufacturers: It is easier to put a new movement in than service the original. It also makes sense from a warranty perspective to update the hardware to like-new specifications. That said, it would be easy for anyone to swap out movements...

3. Stewart H Honorary NJ Resident Jan 13, 2016

The unfortunate thing is that, from a collector's point of view, it is probably worth more for its parts - as long as the dial and hands are original.

IMHO, the acceptable upgrade parts are the cover for the column wheel (to prevent parts jumping out) and the revised date jumper spring which was Zenith's own fault for publishing incorrect servicing information that showed the spring being installed the wrong way round.