Forums Latest Members
  1. Jeff Stein Jun 16, 2013

Great forum here . . . happy to have joined!! (And I am in the process of correcting the way my name appears.)

Can anyone suggest a good online resource describing the history of the El Primero movement? Which watches was it used in in the 1970s, other than Zenith, Movado and Rolex? What years was it produced -- introduced in 1969, but how long was it used (back then) and when was it re-introduced? What other brands have used the movement since it was re-introduced? TAG Heuer, but anyone else? What about the flybacks -- introduced when? What about other complications?

Can anyone recommend a good overview / history that covers these points?

Thanks in advance!!

Jeff Stein
    Atlanta, Georgia

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 16, 2013

Jeff, I deleted the first account that didn't register correctly and changed your current account to Jeff Stein (the one registered with your onthedash@ email account). If you want, you can log out and in again to verify its all correct and email us at [email protected] if you have any further issues.

3. Gavin It's the quiet ones you have to 'watch' out for. Jun 16, 2013

Hi Jeff. Great to see you around here. Don't think there's any single online resource. Seems to be mainly available from the members of the fora, this one included. But I am not the best person to advise. I am sure the guys will jump in later.
    Welcome to the forum. And thank you for the A277.:)

4. Jeff Stein Jun 16, 2013

Thanks!! The name on my account seems to have been corrected.

OK . . . so who will provide some "El Primero History"?

Thanks for all this!!

Jeff

5. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 16, 2013

Hi Jeff,

My guess is that this thread will become the online resource you're seeking. :)

There are bits and pieces all over the web to answer most of your questions, some in places very familiar to you (http://www.onthedash.com/thoughts/el-primero-cheat-sheet/), and some not that far away - for example, a list of brands that have used the El Primero:

http://omegaforums.net/index.php?threads/The-Other-El-Primero-Movement.5757/

... but you have very nicely outlined a need.

We are still waiting for LouS to write the definitive, comprehensive history of this fabled movement, but, sadly, he seems to have a day job. And he's still youngish, with a penchant for fabulous watches, so there's little chance of him retiring soon.
    My coffee table will probably have to wait... but we can hope.

Welcome to the forum! Great to see a player of your caliber here.

Marc

6. Jeff Stein Jun 16, 2013

So if there is no good overview / history of the El Primero, then it seems like someone needs to write one!! My research shows that some have written about the development and introduction of the movement, circa 1969, and we have the Charles Vermont chapter of the history -- http://chronocentric.com/forums/heuer/index.cgi?md=read;id=52500 -- but what about the rebirth / recent history?

Jeff

7. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 16, 2013

A great story all around - rebirth too - but the early history needs to be really fleshed out first. The individuals involved, the role of Martel, the race against the Heuer/Breitling/Buren group and Seiko, a solid timeline, the origin of the name "El Primero" itself (though perhaps obvious on the face of it), the introduction in Spain and the mysterious lack of fanfare on January 1969, the prototypes, getting it to market... a lot still foggy and pleading for primary-source research.

By the way, belated thanks for this very good stuff on the race to develop the first automatic chronograph:

http://www.onthedash.com/docs/Project99.html

8. papaebetu Jun 16, 2013

9. andy_s Jun 17, 2013

10. Interstatetime Jun 17, 2013

Gigi...Thanks for the link to the article on Orologi e Passioni and thanks for recommending that great site to me in the first place.

JohnCote

11. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Jun 17, 2013

Yes, thanks GIGI. Nicola's work is some of the best stuff available on Zenith, and the depth of his research is unparalleled. Once in a while he makes a "deus ex machina" appearance in the WUS Zenith subforum and turns discussions around with two words and an image of a patent application or an old advertisement. I should have thought to mention him earlier. That El Primero post is a gem, and the information in it must have not have been easy to gather in 2008, in the pre-Rössler era.

12. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 17, 2013

Quite right - that post of Nicola's is the root of all El Primero knowledge - everything grew from that. I remember plowing through it with Mr. Google and my knowledge of a couple of other romance languages in my early Primero-collecting days. Add in his Primero blueprints and a couple of other choice insights and there's your definitive history until Zenith itself decides to open its vaults.

Interstatetime likes this.
  13. Jeff Stein Jun 17, 2013

Thanks to everyone for the responses and the recommendations. The posting by Nicola is absolutely amazing . . . perhaps some day we can have it translated into English and posted for the benefit of those who struggle with the Italian or the translation.

The El Primero movement really has an interesting history. That history is about to take a slightly new turn, as TAG Heuer launches its new Carrera Calibre 36 Flyback chronograph. I have been wearing a "loaner" for a few days and really have enjoyed it. Of course, TAG Heuer has been using the Calibre 36 in a few models, but nothing as "mainstream" (conventional looking) as this new Carrera.

Jeff

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jun 17, 2013

15. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jun 17, 2013

Hi Jeff,
    I am glad (and proud) that you joined this forum. I enjoyed reading Caliber 11 occasionally, and become my Tag Heuer reference site.
    What is the view of Tag collectors regarding El Primero movement? At least in here (Indonesia) it is not considered a very important factor (unlike Rolex Daytona for example).

This is my thread seeking information on that: http://omegaforums.net/threads/the-other-el-primero-movement.5757/
    I would like to hear your opinion since I believe you have correspondence with many Tag collectors and understand better on how they view the desirability, collectibility and market value of Tag with El Primero caliber.

Thank you and kind regards.
    Herianto

ps: Your maroon Autavia is awesome :thumbsup:

16. omega67 Jun 18, 2013

17. alam Jun 26, 2013

Good reading, really enjoyed the Project 99 article. Thanks for sharing!

18. Jeff Stein Jun 26, 2013

With arrival of a couple of summer interns at OnTheDash, and grant of permission from Nicola, and Mr. Google's decent translation skills, I am optimistic that we will soon have a translation of Nicola's posting into English, with all the images in place, hosted OnTheDash.

OK, so they are not really summer interns . . . they are my children . . . but I can dream, right?

19. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Jun 26, 2013

Commendable, Jeff. Child labor was one of the foundations of American industrial might. Builds character and keeps them out of the pool halls too. We look forward to great things!

20. ulackfocus Jun 26, 2013

Future WIS of the World in training. ;)