Forums Latest Members

Effect of replacement service dial on Speedmaster 145.012

1. newton982 Jul 12, 2017

Hi, all - would you consider purchasing a 145.012 with a replacement service dial? I realize that this is not as desirable as an original dial, but is this a major concern other than for resale value?

With regards to resale, how much less should a watch like this be than a comparable watch with an original dial? 20-30% less or even more?

2. Davidt Jul 12, 2017

A good dial for this ref will run 1-3k+ so this should be deducted from the price, depending whether you're looking at a poor/collector example.

Removing the issue of value, the dial is the main part of the watch. When you glance at your wrist to see what time it is (or glance at your wrist, think wow that watch looks great, then realise you paid no attention to what time it was), it's the dial you're mainly looking at. Ok the bezel is also a factor, as is the case. But the dial's the main attraction. I'd think hard before buying a vintage watch with a service dial if it's a readily available reference.

Traveler likes this.
  3. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 12, 2017

Is this the $6k Govberg watch?

Spacefruit likes this.
  4. newton982 Jul 12, 2017

Hi - yes, what do you think of it?

5. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 12, 2017

It has a service dial already. I would contact them and request movement and inside caseback pics before making any determination.

6. newton982 Jul 12, 2017

David, thanks for the reply. The hands also look to be newer and they did not post photos of the movement which made me a little apprehensive. I'm wondering if it went into Omega service at some point and they replaced everything that showed wear without giving thought to maintaining originality.

7. td69 Jul 12, 2017

A correct wide-T 321 step dial in good condition will likely cost more than 30% of the average price for "good" 145.012, hence why we see some eBay sellers breaking parts for sale like the bezel, case, handset and etc because they achieve more value than selling the watch out right.

So the question is: why do you want to put yourself in the spot where you have to sort more parts just to make your watch correct and when all is said and done, discover that it will cost you a lot more than find a correct watch in the first place?

This 145.012 example has more than the dial issue the way I see it now.

gemini4 likes this.
  8. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 12, 2017

Imagine what this might sell for on eBay.

I reckon about $3500-4500

Could be wrong, but imagine what would happen if you had to sell this a week after you bought it.

Edited Jul 12, 2017
  9. newton982 Jul 12, 2017

That's a good way to look at it. I suppose a watch such as this one will always be a little more difficult to sell in the future.

10. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jul 12, 2017

It will not be difficult to sell - just difficult to sell at the price currently being offered:)

oddboy likes this.
  11. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Jul 12, 2017

A service dial on a watch like this reduces the price by about 50% IMHO. A proper one is hard to find, takes lots of time and patience, and still costs a pretty penny if you find one.

It's a non-starter for me.

Edited Jul 12, 2017
    gemini4 likes this.
  12. bhove Jul 14, 2017

+1 I would never buy a vintage watch with a service dial. The entire 'soul' of the watch disappears IMO