Forums Latest Members
  1. trotters Apr 19, 2019

Hi all,
    I've been lurking a while but I'm now ready to start looking at watches to buy. Before I do, I'm trying to educate myself as much as possible so I don't get a complete dog or something cobbled together.

Looking at the following watch on ebay, I'm pretty sure this is a franken. I'd really appreciate it if knowledgable members could add to the following (or correct me if I'm wrong)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-...181584?hash=item4b62cd7e50:g:rlAAAOSwMX5cpyyHPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

- Case number 1493 on the Omega Vintage pages says it should be 18k solid gold. This isn't.
    - Looks like a re-dial (badly done). The minute markers don't line up with the line where the dial drops away

I'm sure there are many other tells and would really appreciate it if people could point them out so i can start to learn what to look for.

I'm finding it hard to work out what a good example looks like as there seem to be so may slightly different models. Any help on reference sites would be appreciated too.

Many thanks,

James

2. Pvt-Public Apr 19, 2019

Well, being the sale description says it is.
    "WATCH HAS BEEN SERVICED AND HAS UNDERGONE A HISTORIC REDIAL AT SOME STAGE."
    And if this is called a historic re-dial, I would question the quality of the service.
    The medallion on the back has either been polished or worn off.

connieseamaster likes this.
  3. trotters Apr 19, 2019

Good point, well made...... I've got a lot of learning to do!

4. Passover Apr 19, 2019

Hi James,

welcome here on OF, you picked the right place to learn something about Connies!

Necessary basic reading is:
    http://omega-constellation-collectors.blogspot.com/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/vintage-constellations-show-and-tell.19186/
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/learn-how-to-fish.52603/

14393 can also be SS according to Desmonds list of verified Constalltion references

http://omega-constellation-collecto.../easyfind-calibre-case-number-date-index.html

Good huniting!

WatchCor likes this.
  5. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Apr 19, 2019

Also, post photos, not just the link.

connieseamaster likes this.
  6. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2019

Hi James and welcome.
    I too am fairly new and still on the learning curve. I’ll take a crack at this one:
    The paint work is sloppy, you can see it wavering between the indices. No “Swiss” at the bottom, font for Constellation is totally off, doesn’t pass the MOY test, hands have bright white lume but no lume plots on the dial. As far as redials go this is pretty damn sloppy.

How did I do??

7. trotters Apr 19, 2019

Better than me!

I knew it was a re-dial (apart from the fact it says so!) as it just looked a bit crappy. It's trying to pick out the individual details that give it away that is the tricky bit. I suppose it's just a case of looking at as many decent examples that you can so that over time, you build up knowledge of what looks right? Much work to do.

8. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 19, 2019

That's a historically bad redial in the history book of bad redials.

hjgfjsgfjsgf.jpg

Lucasssssss likes this.
  9. Edward53 Apr 19, 2019

Let's give the OP some credit, he did say in his first post that it looked like a badly-done redial. But he didn't mention the big giveaway, ie. the strange forward-leaning script of "Constellation".

Passover and Noddyman like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2019

I think the OP is doing what all of have done/are doing on the learning curve- seeing something that looks “off” and wanting to know why and how to articulate it.
    This forum has been wonderful for me in learning how to train my eyes to see what’s wrong with a watch even from crappy pics. And the people here are happy to help, not snarky or belittling like some other forums out there.

trotters likes this.
  11. Pvt-Public Apr 19, 2019

And the fact it said redial right in the sales description. ::shy::::yawn::

trotters likes this.
  12. trotters Apr 19, 2019

Exactly this. Even without it saying re-dial in the description ( :whistling:) I could tell it was off, but it's why it's off and all the little nuances that you need to look at and notice that I am looking to this forum for help with. So far so good....

I'm guessing the star shouldn't be wonky either?

Passover likes this.
  13. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2019

Lettering and Star should look like this.
    3B6ACCF1-8EE9-476F-8303-6D873E895A7A.jpeg

trotters likes this.
  14. JwRosenthal Apr 19, 2019

The “MOY” means you could draw a line down the middle and it would cut through the automatic, chronometer, and officially in the same place

trotters likes this.
  15. Passover Apr 19, 2019

A small gap between minute marker and the edge is correct. So far the OP redial is correct

trotters likes this.