Forums Latest Members
  1. dg53 May 18, 2019

****post edited****
    So yes, I edited the original post. I would have deleted and started over if I could find that option. Since I can’t delete, I thought it would be easiest to address at the beginning of the thread. Yesterday I posted pics of my watch and there was moisture in one of them. I will be taking it into a watchmaker tomorrow to have it serviced. I came home to a busted water pipe Saturday morning, which is how the water got in the watch. I rarely wear this watch except for special occasions and due the emergency I forgot that it was on. I would still like to know more about the watch and would appreciate your expertise.
    Hello everyone, thank you for the add to this forum, I appreciate it. The watch pictured was given to me by my father. It belonged my grandfather.

I would like to learn more about its history, how old it is, the model and any other interesting facts that I am not thinking about. I enjoy wearing the watch on special occasions and look forward to passing it on to my son some day. Thank you in advance for any help you may be able to provide.

If you need better or other picture I can post them.

—Dan

E04A485F-D9C7-4BFB-BDDB-2F24B6AC3622.jpeg B51B570D-7B71-477C-80DE-7B858CFD880F.jpeg 6723A420-90B3-4ADE-BB26-5DEDF5BDB0A4.jpeg
    Edited May 19, 2019
  2. Dan S May 18, 2019

Don't allow water to enter the watch like that, it is going to cause serious damage to your heirloom. Honestly, that is the major cause of damage to dials and movements, you need to be more careful. Sorry to scold you in your first post, but that is really super important. You can't treat old watches the same as you would treat a modern watch.

The most useful information will be inside. If you look around the watch where the caseback meets the case, you will find one spot where there is a small gap for a sharp knife. If you carefully push a blade in there, the case-back will pop off. Then take photos of the inside of the case-back, which may include a reference number (the "model" of the watch). Also take good photos of the movement inside the case, including the serial number, which can be checked against standard tables to get an approximate date.

3. JwRosenthal May 18, 2019

I would get it to a watchmaker fast. As @Dan S said, if you take a sharp blade and carefully pop the back cover off, it could help with letting the moisture out for now. A watchmaker will take it apart and let it air out.

4. 77deluxe May 18, 2019

Get it serviced.

5. michael22 May 18, 2019

What the.....
    Has the op been amended?

6. JwRosenthal May 18, 2019

Wow- the pic has changed-and his avatar pic still has the sopping wet crystal shot...hmmmm

michael22 and DaveK like this.
  7. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 19, 2019

8. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 19, 2019

PS: What happened to the first dial picture, was there moisture in the watch or just a smudged crystal?

9. dg53 May 19, 2019

Thanks for the link! I appreciate it. I edited the post above which will explain what happened. It is headed to a watchmaker tomorrow and I will ask him to gather some of the info in your post to help identify it. Hope I didn’t do too much damage.