Forums Latest Members

Edit: Finally got my first omega!

1. Lbreak Aug 23, 2018

Hi people,

I have been reading and searching through the forum for the past few months, but this is my first post, hope this is in the right place!

I am currently considering 2 pre-owned watches, a Speedmaster Date 3513.50, and a Girard-Perregaux GP7000. From my understanding, 3513.50 is basically a ETA 7750 movement which is common, reliable, and relatively easy to get it serviced. GP7000 uses GP's Cal, 8000, a modified ETA 2892 with a chrono module on it (according to http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Girard-Perregaux_8000_514), which seems to be pretty similar to speedy reduced, and thus harder to get it serviced?

The GP will come serviced with 6mth warranty, while Speedy Date would come with all paperwork and boxes, not serviced. My wrist is about 7 inches, so their sizes should fit well.

Which one should I go for? Both looks nice, but my budget could only accommodate 1 :(, links are below, really appreciate your help!!

Speedy Date: https://mall.elady.com/catalog/product/view/id/103160/
    GP7000: https://www.chrono24.sg/girardperre...h-38mm-auto-blue-dial-like-new--id7162433.htm

2. ext1 Aug 23, 2018

What do you like about both? You've so far only written down the movement side information.

By the way nice picture! HD800 and K1K! I was into head-fi before I switched to watches.

3. Lbreak Aug 23, 2018

For the GP I love that dial colour (that dark blue!), detail and layout, and also the fact that GP modified the movement quite a bit, so there is some originality, but the misalignment of crown and pusher is making the OCD me cry. Speedy Date has the similar dial layout, pretty cool black (my 2nd favourite colour), and a REALLY nicely proportionate bezel. Honestly nothing much against speedy date, the movement is a renamed ETA, but it still works beautifully (I hope).

Thanks for the compliment btw! I actually got this fund for watches by selling my extra headphone and part of my vinyl collection, man, I guess it's really difficult to have too many costly hobbies!

ext1 likes this.
  4. ICONO Aug 23, 2018

GP 7000’s are very finely constructed watches…and ridiculously accurate, & rugged

At 38mm they are fantastic value for money…deeply underpriced at the moment

This is my Wife’s daily wearer …( she’s 6’2” tall )…

89D0B01C-4F94-4D97-9CFE-22563F28C9DB.jpeg

Pun and STANDY like this.
  5. Lbreak Aug 23, 2018

Gorgeous! The fact that GP7000s are GP's early attempts to create sports chronos makes it 5x cooler!

6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Aug 23, 2018

GP is way more interesting. (and a speedy should be manually wound and no date)

Pun and mayankyadav like this.
  7. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Aug 23, 2018

From my point of view as a watchmaker, there's no contest here - the Speedmaster would be my choice. Although the Cal. 1151/1152 in the Speedmaster is based on an ETA 7750, it's not just "renamed" and is also modified from the original form in a few ways. Solid reliable movement that can be extremely accurate.

In general I am not a fan of modular chronograph movements. As you noted the pushers and crown are at different heights, and as the photo that ICONO posted illustrates, the date indicator is set very deeply into the watch - this is because it's under the chronograph module so viewing from certain angles will not be as easy as it would be with a date indicator that is just under the surface of the dial. This specific issue is one that kept me from purchasing a UN 1846, that also had a module (but not a chronograph)…

Note that GP is not great when it comes to access to servicing - the last time I checked they did not sell parts to independent watchmakers, so the movement being "customized" to some degree means that you will likely be stuck with factory service. Omega on the other hand does sell parts to qualified watchmakers, so you will have many more options with the Omega if that is an important consideration for you.

Cheers, Al

Pun and EatMan like this.
  8. jud Aug 23, 2018

I have a 3513.50 and it get more comments than any other watch I own. It is also one of my favorites as the dial is awesome. With Archer's comments above, that makes it a winner in my book.

9. Lbreak Aug 23, 2018

Wow, thanks everyone, especially AI, for your suggestions! I think I would go with Speedy Date for now. One thing I have learnt from my years of hifi hobby, is to start with things that are easier to handle first. Perhaps I should save GP for the future when I have gained more experience, no rush in a hobby that takes time!::book::

I totally agree with Larry that a speedy date is not a substitute of a speedy moon watch, but speedy date does has its own charm. I actually intend to purchase the moon watch from the Duty Free Store next time when I am traveling. Last month I checked, it goes for around 4000USD/5500SGD at duty free here in Singapore. Pretty good deal, isn't it?

For anyone who's interested, the lady at Singapore Duty Free Store told me that for Omega, their price is abt 8%+7%(GST) = 15% less than price listed on website. For the other brands under Swatch group, the price is abt 15%+7%(GST) = 22% less that online MSRP.::popcorn::

Ebuster likes this.
  10. sevykor Aug 25, 2018

I like to stick with brands that can be serviced for a reasonable price and have the recognition when it comes time to flip it. Not to say that the GP isn’t a great watch, but I would sway towards Omega.

11. dinexus Aug 27, 2018

You're on the wrong forum if you think anybody here is gonna vouch for the GP :p
    Nothing against that brand – have always liked them myself, but...

12. rainking Aug 27, 2018

That GP is downright hideous. Just my opinion of course. I wouldn’t wear that watch if someone gave it to me for free right now lol.

Also, there are plenty of reputable Speedy Pro sellers with prices $500 less than that duty free price.

13. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Aug 27, 2018

Personally speaking, I think that the 3513.50 is a fairly boring/uninspiring member of the 7750 derived Speedy date family which has white, black, blue, panda, reverse panda and a whole lot more interesting options on offer. And as Archer says, they are based on a solid and reputable base movement. You could even go completely nuts and get a roulette dial one - the 3210.52 :eek:
    Speedy roulette.jpg

Edited Aug 28, 2018
  14. Lbreak Aug 27, 2018

wow that dial is dope! I saw the 3210 panda and reverse panda before, pretty awesome as well

15. Lbreak Aug 29, 2018

Finally I joined the Omega gang! Picked it up from local post office today, beautiful watch!

IMG_20180830_092522.jpg