Forums Latest Members
  1. Vardster Jul 29, 2018

Hi All,

I am a new member and have been a long time admirer of the pre-moon speedy. I have never owned an Omega before however my 40th is coming up and I’m looking at purchasing one of my favourite watches.

Firstly any help for a novice would be greatly appreciated in knowing what to look out for and how to ‘buy the seller’. Are there members that would recommend which watches being sold are ‘fair value’ and original?

Also would you be able to ware an Ed White every day or rotate it every week?

What are the price ranges currently for a good example?

Thank you very much I’m advanced.

Vardester

2. Seaborg Jul 29, 2018

Hi Vardester,

I can only recommend you to check this :

http://speedmaster101.com/

Amazing place to learn on vintage Speedmasters.

By the way, and Ed White is always a great watch :thumbsup:

Kmart, Mad Dog, Dan S and 3 others like this.
  3. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 29, 2018

Daily beater Ed White works really well, good luck for your research ;)

71C3A403-5CBB-4E65-93A9-8317D6900CC5.jpeg

Kmart, td69, Mad Dog and 11 others like this.
  4. stefman Jul 29, 2018

I don’t have an Ed White, but a 145.012-67 as a daily wearer, I don’t see how an Ed White could not be a daily wearer. Reliable movement and watch. Go for it!

Mad Dog, Pun and Vardster like this.
  5. Davidt Jul 29, 2018

Once sympathetically serviced there's no reason a 105.003 can't be worn everyday.

Just be careful around water/heavy rain etc.

Lavatoad, Caliber561, Kmart and 5 others like this.
  6. SlimFitLawyer Jul 29, 2018

Vardster:

I wish you much luck in finding the pre-moon Speedmaster. That being said, do not sleep on the Man on the Moon. It is also a beautiful watch. I find myself falling in love with mine over and over again. In fact, it happens almost every time I switch out the NATO.

In regards to where to purchase an Omega, in general, I strongly suggest doing your research should you decide to purchase from eBay or Etsy. I have seen several redials and frankenwatches on both platforms. Case in point: I recently saw a franken-Seamaster that looked amazing; however, when analyzing the case back I noticed that the reference number did not match the dial or the one stamped on the movement. Yikes!

The gray market (Jomashop and similar places) is a good place to purchase new Omegas. I also find that the gray market tends to be a little cheaper than the boutiques. On the right day you can find a new MOTM Speedmaster Professional for $3,300 on the gray market. That being said, in my opinion, there are very few experiences that compare to purchasing from a boutique. As such, I suggest you purchase from an Omega store if you want a new watch and do not mind spending a few more dollars.

I wish you the best of luck in finding an Ed White and make sure you post a wrist watch picture once you get your Omega.

Speedy Black OEM NATO.jpeg
    Mad Dog and Vardster like this.
  7. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 29, 2018

I think it is more generally known as the Moonwatch. Show me where it is called the MOTM Speedmaster? I am not sure why it bugs me to see it called that, but it does! My miserableness aside, welcome to the forum!

Re the OP question. Would I wear my Ed White every day? No I wouldn't to be honest, walking round with something worth 5 figures on my wrist which is likely not fully waterproof with a plastic crystal, working where I do is not my idea of an relaxed life. If you like the straight lug design, for a daily wearer a FOIS or one of the other 39mm case variants makes more sense IMO. A 60th Anni LE might be perfect if you like the broad arrow hands. That too is expensive but will be at least be reliably waterproof and can be fully repaired if damaged. Of course if you like the Pro case you have many more options. Ironically, having said that, my 145.012-68 gets a lot of wear but for some reason I am less precious about that one, even though it cost me nearly as much as my EW. Fickle me!

Edited Jul 29, 2018
  8. Reborn Jul 29, 2018

Neither would I. I have been wearing my Edwhite everyday for the last few weeks after I bought it, but will probably store it away and wear it once a month or something...

[​IMG]omega2 by The Cloth Shutter, on Flickr
    [​IMG]speedy by The Cloth Shutter, on Flickr

Edited Jul 29, 2018
  9. Vardster Jul 29, 2018

10. padders Oooo subtitles! Jul 29, 2018

This makes sense. Thinking about it some more, I think I want mine to remain special and I worry that if I wear it everyday it will become, well everyday!

11. Vardster Jul 29, 2018

Sorry just learning the platform. Thank you for your response and helpful advice. What is the grey market? I presume frakenwatch are watches where someone has used different parts that don’t actually match the watch? Is it perceived to be ok to purchase the correct items in terms of date that match the vintage watch even though they were not original to that actual watch? Sorry if they seem naive questions. Thanks

12. jaguar11 Jul 29, 2018

No reason why it can't be worn every day. Tough robust watch. Enjoy your research in to what is best for you.

Mad Dog and marco like this.
  13. guaranteed.rohu Jul 29, 2018

I think they're definitely tough enough for a daily wearer!

Mad Dog and marco like this.
  14. Davidt Jul 29, 2018

Haha the "Speedmaster - Man on the Moon/MOTM" name winds me up as well.

It's that lousy bastard Archie's fault!

15. Vardster Jul 29, 2018

This is really helpful thank you

16. Vardster Jul 29, 2018

This is really helpful thank you

17. marco Jul 29, 2018

I have found wearing expensive valuable watches has a phsycological effect , you are constantly aware that your left wrist is special and I manage to compensate accordingly.
    But don't put yourself in stressful situations where one may need to move fast, a knock on the printer , coffee machine or jumping out of the truck all can be deleterious to your masterpiece. Plan accordingly and they are wonderful to wear.
    I do sometimes find that I suddenly think what I am I doing wearing this figure watch here ,its back in the safe that night.
    Horses for courses man whatever your comfortable with.

bjhove likes this.
  18. JACK G Jul 29, 2018

Totally agree with this and I'm sure Ed White was not over concerned when he stepped into Space. But then he probably didn't pay for it.

19. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 29, 2018

To be fair, he says MOTFM. :)

Mad Dog and Davidt like this.
  20. Dan S Jul 29, 2018

I think it's hard to generalize about this, since it will depend a lot on the initial condition of the movement, how well it has been maintained, and how well you maintain it. Obviously the 321 movement is robust, but most of us really don't know whether our watches have been heavily worn over the years and how well they have been maintained. Personally I rotate through my vintage watches, and I don't keep the automatics on a winder. I tend to think that they will be preserved better in the long run.

Mad Dog likes this.