Forums Latest Members

Eberhard pre extra fort chronograph redial?

1. kreyke Jul 13, 2017

Hello,

I have recently made an impulsive purchase without doing my due diligence. I have been collecting vintage watches for about a year now and I wanted a nice old chronograph. I chanced upon this on the bay. A quick glance revealed a pristine dial with a nice stepped case. I threw in an offer and it was accepted.

After showing it to a few collectors, one of them mentioned to me that it might be a redial. I trust his words as he is an experienced collector. So I went to do my (long overdue) research and I couldn't find any subdials with my orientation. I looked through a few threads on WUS as well and I couldn't find much information. I did post there asking for help but I would like to cast a bigger net and gain more opinions.

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg Fortunately, the ebay listing does state that the dial is mint and original. I shouldn't have any problems getting a refund if it is a redial. It's just a bummer because I finally felt I got a big boy chronograph.

Here are the photos, I will upload more, hopefully better photos, when I receive the watch.

WatchesandStraps and jontrl like this.
  2. adam78 Adam @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 13, 2017

If a redial, it seems superb. If original, there is absolutely no patina; while the hands are quite oxidized. Little incongruities like this tend to have one scratch the proverbial head.

WhatYourWatchSay likes this.
  3. DirtyDozen12 Thanks, mystery donor! Jul 13, 2017

Vitezi likes this.
  4. dx009 Jul 13, 2017

Redial indeed.

There have been other brands of this era and style also with remade dials... Still a nice piece!

Larry S likes this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 13, 2017

Devils advocate here. Why does it matter? Your watch is stunning. This is a custom enamel dial commissioned by another RGM customer as an homage to an Eberhard chrono. I was lucky enough to snag the extra. I was also willing to pay a big premium over the standard 455. I'd keep your watch if it didn't cost too much. It's lovely.

IMG_4793.JPG

6. watchknut New watch + Instagram + wife = dumbass Jul 13, 2017

Depending on price, it may be worthwhile keeping and enjoying. Case looks pretty sweet.

All depends on price paid and whether you love the watch.

WhatYourWatchSay and Larry S like this.
  7. kreyke Mar 3, 2018

Sorry, I forgot to update. I paid about 3.5k euros for it. I decided to return the watch as I couldn’t live with having a redial. Haha.