Forums Latest Members

Ebay to create a network of authenticators to make it easier to sell big-ticket items

1. kidkimura Jan 13, 2017

2. WatchVaultNYC Jan 13, 2017

Some of the most respected sellers online have unknowingly passed me several fakes and many many franken watches, and these folks are experts at what they sell. This plus the chance to scratch mint watches during inspection? Plus will package insurance companies agree to insuring your package that is opened midway by a 3rd party?

That said, there are already professional authenticators out there. I believe fees start at around $50.

3. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 13, 2017

Given the volumes involved, I seriously doubt eBay's ability to effectively address the fake/counterfeit issue in this manner.

IMO more of a cosmetic PR move to boost buyer confidence & fend off claims from IP owners. Oh, and generate additional revenue through yet another fee for "service" - one of questionable value.

Pfffft!

cristos71 likes this.
  4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jan 13, 2017

To me this looks aimed at blatant fake goods. I doubt this will help filter out redials and franken watches.

5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Jan 13, 2017

This will not work for vintage items. However, I do see potential for this program for modern watches, especially from the big brands like Omega, Rolex, etc.

Perhaps the factories should get involved to make sure it's done right, but I highly doubt it will happen.
    gatorcpa

kidkimura likes this.