Ebay Speedmasters, which to buy, or better options elsewhere?

Hello, I'm looking for an affordable pre owned speedmaster, my only Omega currently is a Seamaster I bought from an AD but since then I discovered the pre-owned scene, however, I'm not sure what's good or not, been looking for a few days and these two listings stand out, not sure if the prices are fair or if there's any red flags with the listing.

Check out AUTHENTIC OMEGA SPEEDMASTER CHRONOGRAPH AUTOMATIC TRIPLE DATE 3222.80.00 1780058 on eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2665254804...g44q0btjm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL
Check out OMEGA Speedmaster Date Chronograph 39mm Watch - 3513.50 -Box and papers on eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1348251151...g44q0btjm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
The two options you have listed are older automatic Speedmasters, based on the Valjoux 7750 movement. They are solid watches, but most you buy on EBay will likely not have been serviced in a long time, so take that into account.

The question I have, though, is do you WANT that type of Speedmaster (automatic, a secondary player to the original manual wind Speedmaster Professional by most collectors) or are you looking at them because they are lower priced than the Moonwatch?

If the former, then enjoy the hunt. If the latter, then I’d suggest waiting, save a little more money, and get what you want. And if you are concerned about the size of the Speedy Pro, it’s really NOT that much larger than the 39mm cases — the lug to lug width is nearly the same. It can easily fit on must wrists down to about 6.2 inches or larger in my experience.

In all honesty, your probably better off buying from trusted members on this forum than buying from eBay.

In all honesty, your probably better off buying from trusted members on this forum than buying from eBay.

I agree, 100% with this statement. You won't find a better bunch of folks to get honest watches in amazing condition.

The two options you have listed are older automatic Speedmasters, based on the Valjoux 7750 movement. They are solid watches, but most you buy on EBay will likely not have been serviced in a long time, so take that into account.

The question I have, though, is do you WANT that type of Speedmaster (automatic, a secondary player to the original manual wind Speedmaster Professional by most collectors) or are you looking at them because they are lower priced than the Moonwatch?

If the former, then enjoy the hunt. If the latter, then I’d suggest waiting, save a little more money, and get what you want. And if you are concerned about the size of the Speedy Pro, it’s really NOT that much larger than the 39mm cases — the lug to lug width is nearly the same. It can easily fit on must wrists down to about 6.2 inches or larger in my experience.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply!

I'm looking for an automatic, I'm also talking to my local AD to see if I can get a good deal, but in the meantime I'm just testing the waters.

Hello, I'm looking for an affordable pre owned speedmaster, my only Omega currently is a Seamaster I bought from an AD but since then I discovered the pre-owned scene, however, I'm not sure what's good or not, been looking for a few days and these two listings stand out, not sure if the prices are fair or if there's any red flags with the listing.

Check out AUTHENTIC OMEGA SPEEDMASTER CHRONOGRAPH AUTOMATIC TRIPLE DATE 3222.80.00 1780058 on eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2665254804...g44q0btjm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL
Check out OMEGA Speedmaster Date Chronograph 39mm Watch - 3513.50 -Box and papers on eBay!
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1348251151...g44q0btjm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=EMAIL
There are also reputable second hand dealers online like Takuya, OC Watch Guy, and DavidSW. Seems worth a few hundred extra to avoid Ebay and when you are spending multiple thousands of dollars on a watch.

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Thank you for the thoughtful reply!

I'm looking for an automatic, I'm also talking to my local AD to see if I can get a good deal, but in the meantime I'm just testing the waters.

If you want an automatic chronograph that uses a Valjoux movement, you can do better than a 20-year-old Speedmaster model with unknown service history, IMO. For the same price or less you can buy a brand new Hamilton, Longines, Tissot, or Mido that uses the same movement.

But that’s my opinion. If you want the Omega and Speedmaster name, then those watches you looked at are solid. I also agree with buyi g here from one of the sellers if you can find one.

An automatic Speedmaster is like decaf coffee. Why bother? 😁

I learn something every single day here…and I loathe decaf. Why bother is right. 😀

The OP watches look ok at first glance. I recommend looking at completed eBay sales to get a sense of pricing.

Pictures as links tend to dissapear.

Screen Shot 2023-11-30 at 8.12.28 PM.png

I see one of them ended already. They are pretty watches, but I would not call them Speedmasters any more than a moonswatch is a speedmaster.

Or like a car with a starter motor.😉

Or like a car with a starter motor.😉
What are you implying about manual winders? 😁

What are you implying about manual winders? 😁

Oh nothing really, I just think that you get a closer relationship to a crank start car than to a car with that fancy pansy new starter technology

Tut tut, there are automatic Speedmasters, and there are automatic Speedmasters 😉...

tempImageDU6855.png
IMG_9277.jpg

I learned the hard way: buy the seller, not the watch, or anything other item for that matter. You will save yourself headaches. This forum has some excellent, established sellers. In fact, I just purchased a Speedmaster from one and I’m very happy with it.