Forums Latest Members
  1. nujon Oct 17, 2011

Any expert views on the 'Seamasters' offered on ebay by "classiccollectables101" please

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 17, 2011

I can't speak for the Seamasters, but I can tell you that there have been reports of that seller selling Tudor/Rolex watches with non-genuine parts. That isn't to say a fake watch per-se, but I would keep my eyes open, and if in any doubt, post pictures here of the watch you're looking for and see if some of the experts here can find any fault with it.

3. nujon Oct 17, 2011

Thanks for the caution - I note since that the watch case numbers he quotes on his ads are either not recognised by the Omega vintage database or refer to entirely diffent case styles. I am no Omega expert but I don't recongnise the Seamaster case design on his watches (he seems to sell several with the same case design each week at several £100s a time) - from the photos, the cases appear almost 'new'

4. ulackfocus Oct 17, 2011

Don't put too much emphasis on the Omega Vintage Database. It's incomplete. I'm trying to work on the missing Genève information and have found the reference 2381 for the caliber 503 is missing, which was the predecessor to the 14.703 for the caliber 562. You could link to the eBay listing for us to critique it if you like, or simply post the photos from that seller's listing. I'm not too keen on eBay as a whole because there's more slag than metal IMO.

5. nujon Oct 17, 2011

6. Steve Oct 17, 2011

The watch does say 'beautifully re-furbished' which does reflect in the price somewhat. The seller does have 6595 100% feedbacks, which doesn't strike me as a con man. Personally i wouldn't buy a watch of him. But each to their own.

7. ulackfocus Oct 17, 2011

Remember that the majority of positive feedback might be from buyers who know very little about vintage watches. They might be into antiques and just want a pretty old watch that looks good.

Overall, it's a nice looking watch and if you're okay with the looks it wouldn't be bad up to $350. The caliber 1012 isn't the best that Omega had to offer but it's half decent. The seller doesn't say "original dial" which makes me think it's refinished. Believe me, if a dial has the original paint a seller goes out of their way to say so because it increases the value.

8. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 17, 2011

I don't think the dial is original, but the price is decent considering that the bracelet looks legit and has some value on its own.

Could be a "Mumbai Special", that is a reconstructed watch out of India, but it's not too badly beat up.
    gatorcpa

9. nujon Oct 29, 2011

10. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 30, 2011

Dial looks like a Railmaster or something, no idea man, but I know I wouldn't be touching half the shifty Omega pieces on eBay