Forums Latest Members
  1. sdre Mar 25, 2018

Hi all.

I won this https://www.ebay.com/itm/132540820939?ViewItem=&item=132540820939Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network but there's an issue.

Ebay seller has limits so I can't make payment to the watch right now.

He asked me for a picture of my email address so that he can send a paypal invoice.

It sounds dodgy yet he has good feedback. I think its safe to carry on with the deal because of the Paypal invoice (Yes no?)

I think he wants to avoid the 10% ebay fees through this way, we are dealing directly and not via their system.

What do you guys think?

Thanks everyone!

2. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Mar 25, 2018

Forward his request to eBay.

3. West Slope Mar 25, 2018

What's in it for you? By that I mean how does this help you or ensure your $$ is protected if it goes poorly?

4. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 25, 2018

Not safe, do not proceed.

5. sdre Mar 25, 2018

I have no idea mate

6. BenBagbag Mar 25, 2018

7. MikeMan2727 Mar 25, 2018

I haven't heard of limits where the seller can't take money. Sounds odd/unsafe to me.

8. West Slope Mar 25, 2018

Well IMHO you don't owe him anything other than the agreed upon price and if he wants to go and change the terms of the deal after the fact that is a huge red flag. Ask him if you can pick it up in person and see what he says.

9. sdre Mar 25, 2018

I'm based in Singapore and he's in us. Don't think that can happen :(

felsby likes this.
  10. sdre Mar 25, 2018

A friend says that I'm protected by PayPal no matter....

11. michael22 Mar 25, 2018

Dodgy as hell.

12. michael22 Mar 25, 2018

You have ebay on your side at no extra charge. Helping him rip off ebay isn't going to do you any good.

13. sdre Mar 25, 2018

Just to check, if i report this matter to ebay, then its most likely the seller will not go ahead and send it right?

I guess, i should just be safe.

14. BenBagbag Mar 25, 2018

Just ask him if he'll proceed with the sale through ebay... If not tell him you can't go through with the sale.

Mtek, Edward53 and gdupree like this.
  15. kkt Mar 25, 2018

If he's willing to cheat ebay out of their fee, he's probably willing to cheat you.

16. ndgal Mar 25, 2018

You will only be protected by PayPal if the seller sends you an invoice with a full description of the item you are buying (along with serial number).

If the invoice only says "Omega Seamaster" and the watch arrives with issues, you will not be able to file a SNAD claim as there is no product description to go by.
    Referring back to the eBay description (in case you need to file a PayPal claim) won't help you if you don't complete the transaction through eBay.

Seller is trying to save himself $425 in final value fees. But where's the upside for you for dealing outside of eBay?

I would strongly recommend against this, especially since you are getting yourself into an international transaction.

(Also, eBay monitors e-mails sent through the eBay messaging system. If by chance they "audit" your outbox and see that you've sent a message which contains an image with contact information, you can have your account suspended).

Edited Mar 25, 2018
    Kmart, kkt, Alphasports and 1 other person like this.
  17. Nactex Mar 25, 2018

He would not have limits unless they are limiting him for a problem with a transaction. He also has a recent neutral feedback for: Chronograph doesn’t function properly. The hand popped off after resetting it. You can call PayPal and ask why he has limits and can not accept your payment, but it sounds very fishy. Go through eBay and PayPal. What if you pay outside eBay, have a problem, they figure out you circumvented eBay to save the seller 10%, and they decide not to cover you at all.

Spacefruit likes this.
  18. ndgal Mar 25, 2018

PayPal do not place any limits on accepting payments. (They will take each and every Penny you wanna give them...)
    They do limit withdraws though...

19. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Mar 25, 2018

It’s a matter of trust. Ethics of cheating Ebay aside (not ignored) I would not follow through with the sale unless you can trust the seller. It is not uncommon for any buyer or seller to circumvent Ebay, but it is also not uncommon to cheat a seller or a buyer by doing so. So you must feel confident of your purchase no matter what. If you purchased through Ebay then He has to sell through Ebay, it’s a contractual obligation. Any outside negotiation should be made prior to purchase. I have items for sale on eBay. If I get an email about stepping out and reducing price I may work it out.... but if someone presses the buy now button I am not going to work my way out of the network.

Bottom line, stay safe.

ICONO, lando and West Slope like this.
  20. West Slope Mar 25, 2018

Well it doesn't really matter at this point but you could have said you had a friend in the area etc.

Given the advice you are getting I just don't see a compelling reason to go ahead with the transaction but it is clearly not my decision.

sdre likes this.