Forums Latest Members
  1. jshaw083 Jul 21, 2019

Hi all,

I've read several times in the past that there are some countries you should shy away from in terms of buying vintage watches online, particularly on ebay. I'm just wondering, if you did happen to come across a seller from Mexico that had good feedback (> 98% with > 2000 transactions), and the watch otherwise looked legit, would you consider the purchase?

What are actually the risks? Has anyone run into serious issues before (seller takes funds and doesn't transfer the watch?).

I've seen some sketchy looking ads from Mexico in the past, but this one looks OK tbh.

Thoughts?
    -J.

Etp095 likes this.
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jul 21, 2019

Buy the seller not the watch. Read the feedback not just the numbers.

Pay by PayPal with a credit card and you should be OK.

3. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Jul 21, 2019

Was the seller Alex by any chance? You can try searching this site for the recommended sellers on eBay thread.
    Personally, over 2,000 sales and a watch that appeared correct would be a strong buy signal to me.
    Not sure who originally said this but “eBay is unique in that it handsomely rewards those who are knowledgeable and decisive, but harshly punishes those who are ignorant and impatient.”

4. Taybharr Jul 21, 2019

Are you perhaps talking about the_vintage_dot or overwatches? Currently tracking some seamasters from those two sellers on eBay, both from Mexico. I’d say let’s leave the prejudice about certain countries at the door. I think it is that mentality that leads to some very good deals on eBay at times. Just judge the watch on its own merits (along with reading the seller feedback of course) and realize that there are honest and dishonest people from every country around the world.

5. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 21, 2019

The problem with buying from foreign countries is the possibility of having to pay for return shipping. Can get expensive.

JwRosenthal likes this.
  6. Taybharr Jul 21, 2019

I think the question we are tackling here is misrepresentation in ads from foreign countries. Typically eBay will hold the seller responsible for return shipping if there is any sketchiness

7. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 22, 2019

I’m UK based (although I was in Dubai at the time) and bought an 18k Constellation from Alex in Mexico and have only got good things to say about the transaction.
    I seem to recall that I was advised to satisfy myself that the watch was all it purported to be as there had been some good and less good watches sold by him but overall the ‘vibe’ about him was positive.

jshaw083 likes this.
  8. Shabbaz Jul 22, 2019

Got two black connies from Mexico. Perfect buy!

9. Fatcat Jul 22, 2019

Never bought anything to Alex , but got interesting discussion about watches always a good contact if was looking for something.

Recommended

10. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Jul 22, 2019

Who said this exclusively applies to ebay? The OP asked about buying watches online, particularly ebay. Not exclusively ebay.

11. Dan S Jul 22, 2019

The title of the thread mentions eBay. And in his first post, the OP mentions information about 98% feedback and >2000 sales, which also suggests eBay. It's worthwhile discussing sellers on other platforms, but eBay and PayPal provide strong protections for buyers.

impalla62ss, wsfarrell and jshaw083 like this.
  12. jshaw083 Jul 22, 2019

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'd say I'm cautiously re-assured, and I'll follow @X350 XJR advice on PayPal/Credit card payments. I'll let you guys know if I snag anything interesting ;)

-J.

13. Taybharr Jul 22, 2019

Yes, and as always, provide pictures please!

14. Pepe Lucas Jul 22, 2019

I got 2 watches from Alex in Mexico through Ebay and everything went fine.

Etp095 likes this.
  15. rott3 Jul 22, 2019

I learned to look to each buyer individually and not to look to things like where is he from....because I realized that there are good and honest and also terrible and disonest people everywhere....I have one basic rule common to all my purchases though, always use paypal and always "buy the buyer first"....

shaun hk likes this.
  16. fskywalker Jul 23, 2019

I purchased an Omega from a Mexican seller in Ebay (user vintagearticles ) and had no issues whatsoever.

17. Civic4982 Jul 23, 2019

I’ve also had good luck with Mexican eBay sellers. I spent a large sum for me on a 145.012 3 years ago. It didn’t run well and had Chrono issues and the seller took it back after showing a video of the issue.

High seller ratings and long history of selling watches or watch parts is often a good sign when I evaluate a seller.

18. JwRosenthal Jul 24, 2019

I’ve had good luck with sellers from Mexico a few with <500 feedback with no issues- trust your gut on the watch and seller like you would any domestic seller (look at their history and feedback). As Norman said above- I have my PayPal linked to a credit card anyway that gives me points, and I pay it off every month-so I get a bonus whenever I buy a watch. eBay/PayPal is pretty safe as a buyer, wish it were the same way as a seller.