Forums Latest Members
  1. hddt Mar 14, 2017

Good morning,

I'm brand new to this forum and would be a first time Omega owner. I stumbled into this forum after hours of researching on a watch I just bought from eBay and I would like to get some more opinion on this purchase. Listed as $750 but I paid $575 for it. Any tip, advice and comment would help out a ton as this is a learning curve for me (an expensive one perhaps). Thank you in advance.

Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252807746899?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:ITPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

omegauto-3.jpg omegauto-7.jpg omegauto-11.jpg omegauto-12.jpg
  2. efauser I ♥ karma!!! Mar 14, 2017

Dial has been refinished and the case has been highly polished (per the description). It looks nice but most collectors would shy away because of that. If you like it, wear it with the knowledge that the dial isn't original. Fortunately, you avoided the high noob tax usually associated with asking after the purchase, rather than before.
    Do a site search for Korean redialers and you will see that there's a pattern for watches out of Korea.

ConElPueblo and hddt like this.
  3. hddt Mar 14, 2017

Thank you for your quick comment. I have to admit that I made the mistake by not finding this forum a lot sooner. Two questions, first: did I over pay for the watch? Second: I'm trying to find more information about the movement, but I couldn't find much more information about the authenticity of it other than it being 17 jewels. Can you give me more pointers on that? Thank you so much.

4. No Mercy Mar 14, 2017

IMHO I think you overpaid for it. The movement is Omega 1020.

5. j.allen Mar 15, 2017

At least the brushed steel is still brushed. It has a pleasing look all previously things mentioned considered.

6. ConElPueblo Mar 15, 2017

Values of watches as a commodity isn't set in stone, very few things are. An old watch is worth what the next buyer will pay for it.

No "serious" collector would be interested in it for his/hers collection, but I bet a lot of people would absolutely love it - and if you do, then that is just fine :)

I've recently joined Instagram (yeah, I know...), and realised that a refinished watch will get a lot of people swooning even if collectors might turn their noses.

http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&&2uswk&Omega_1020

hddt likes this.
  7. hddt Mar 15, 2017

Thank you so much for all the comments and advices. I'm new to this hobby and have a lot more to learn. An expensive lession but there is nothing for free.