Forums Latest Members
  1. Gasman Apr 9, 2019

I sold a watch on eBay today. The buyer paid by PayPal and I had some spare time so I shipped it early afternoon. When I got home I had a message from an eBay member asking me to ship to a different address. Something seemed strange so I looked more closely. The eBay name wasn’t the same as the buyer, and the message had a little broken English. I phoned eBay and got pretty much straight through and explained what had happened. The lady I spoke to was concerned and looked into the situation. To cut a long story short she said that eBay had already identified a problem and blocked the scammer. Asked how they had emailed me she said they use the contact seller off the listing and not my email address.
    Sorry for the long post but thought people ought to know what goes on.

2. pweingarten Apr 9, 2019

Yes thanks this happened to me as well. Just be sure you ship to the buyer, not some guy who says he is acting as agent for the buyer!

3. Omega-Q Apr 9, 2019

So were you able to get the watch back? Thanks for letting us know about this!

Mac5 likes this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Apr 9, 2019

^^ Sounds like the buyer was legit, but a scammer tried to jump in fast and get the watch shipped to them instead.

Omega-Q, Gasman and wsfarrell like this.
  5. 77deluxe Apr 9, 2019

Ten more posts and you can sell here. That should certainly help.

6. pweingarten Apr 9, 2019

That’s exactly what happens .. I’d never seen it before. Luckily I never ship except to the confirmed pay pal address.

asrnj77, Omega-Q and starcraft like this.
  7. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 9, 2019

as long as you use ebay to ship, you will never have a problem. I have never shipped an ebay sale to any address other than the one ebay gives me...for that matter I use Ebay to ship...so there is no typing addresses even involved. I just push a button labeled "ship". Its like magic, and you dont even have to worry about scammers.

Baz9614 and gemini4 like this.
  8. WYO_Watch Apr 9, 2019

I had two watches last year that were purchased within 12 hours of each other - one buy it now, another best offer. Both got paid for and I even transferred the money out of PayPal to my account.

Ebay then froze one transaction because someone’s account had been supposedly hacked. I messaged the buyer, who said that it hadnt been hacked and I should ship the watch. I let them know I wouldn’t ship until there was some resolution from eBay. An hour later a different person (sentence structure was much different) said please don’t ship the watch. I don’t know who messaged you but it wasn’t me, my account got hacked. Most bizarre conversation, she was reading through the messages on her account between me and the scammer.

To make the matter that much weirder, the second watch that was sold also was canceled by eBay. Different buyer, same issue. Supposedly the account got reported compromised. Made me think that maybe I was the one being hacked... been on eBay for 13 years and never had one, yet alone two compromised accounts.

9. Braindrain Apr 9, 2019

Wow, scary stuff. Haven't even hears about these issues.

10. stahlmotte Apr 10, 2019

Hate these scammers::censored::

11. Gasman Apr 10, 2019

I had already sent it to the legit buyer luckily.

Omega-Q likes this.
  12. Gasman Apr 10, 2019

Yes exactly right

13. Gasman Apr 10, 2019

I thought it would be expensive by eBay. How does it compare to couriers?

14. TexOmega Apr 10, 2019

hope it works out

15. CajunTiger Cajuns and Gators can't read newspapers! Apr 10, 2019

it's cheaper...you get a discount based on volume. It also matches the price calculated by Ebay in the listing, so you are always charging exactly what you are paying.

16. FlyingSnoopy Apr 10, 2019

One should always be careful with eBay
    Cheers

17. BradleyJ. Apr 12, 2019

Best way to buy or sell on Ebay is to NOT buy or sell on Ebay.

18. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Apr 12, 2019

That's a little harsh, seeing that there have been millions of transactions without any problems.

19. BradleyJ. Apr 12, 2019

I've personally been scammed twice selling fairly expensive electronics (around $500 total) besides that I've had other issues with people buying items only to return them for zero reason and Ebay backs them up so they get away with it. Obviously there are good deals where both parties are happy but I avoid the Bay like it's the plague.

blufinz52 likes this.
  20. pweingarten Apr 12, 2019

There are some miscreants on Ebay, but I've found them to be in the distinct minority. Feedback tends to weed out the worst...but you are right that Ebay backs buyers, not sellers.